Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New VERSYS!!!

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  AlaskaJeff 
#1 ·
Just purchased my new Versys on the 9th! I live in the KC area and looking put on some miles . Also, anyone have any good tips for breaking in the Versys?

#3 ·
:welcome:

#5 ·
Welcome from Alaska :thumb:
As for break-in Take what the dealer tells you (to NOT run it over 5K for the first 500 miles) with a grain of salt. Run it like you would normally, and then some:thumb: . Change the oil after your first ride and then after 200 or so miles. Use engine braking to decelerate, DON'T run at a constant RPM for too long. Vary your speeds, stop and go, run the RPM's up (NOT to redline quite yet) but don't be afraid to get them up there! It's what the rings NEED to seat properly and will give your engine maximum power in the long run.
That is the condensed version of the Motoman break-in. It is still worth the read for sure. Good luck and hide your credit cards:D

#9 ·
Also, to help the piston rings seats to "bed in" - it is best to decellerate using engine braking whenever possible. This pulls a vacuum in the engine and moves the rings to the other side of their "races", assisting in break-in and eventual sealing of the piston and rings.

I also go by the "RTFM" philosophy. "Read The F' ing Manual", and do what it says.

[But there is a huge thread on this forum saying lots of other ways to do it. It goes on forever... ]

#14 ·
IF you follow those guidelines you could be robbing your motor of 5-10% more output in the long run. Take some time and read motoman article. It will make you think. Your engine will be reliable EITHER way you break it in. It's just about getting the most potential out of it.

#16 ·
If you have to ask..............MY BIKE was 2011 leftover purchased NEW by me 2 months ago. After that oil has set in the crankcase for 3+ years I would think it might be time for a change after it gets heated up and moves around all the inital run particles floating around in the motor. ALSO IF you read the break-in article that has been suggested, you MIGHT have the same BRIGHT IDEAS:eek:

To each his own soldier :usa:
BTW No need to call someone out on only your 3rd post. But I guess that's what soldiers do, right? :blah::blah::blah::blah::huh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.