Hello everybody - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smile Hello everybody

Hi everybody. This is my first post so "be gentle"
I have a Versys 650 2009 that I use to go to work everyday. I keep her well maintained and since the last oil change I notice that after a 1 hour riding I can see some bubbles on top of the oil in the oil window.
Also I noticed an increase in the engine noise. I suspect that maybe it is time to check the valves but I can figure out about the bubbles.
I will do another oil change next weekend and see if I get some improvement.
Anyone had this kind of thing before?

My regards to all and ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 09:07 AM

Welcome to the forum. Find a reputable mechanic and TRAILER it to him if you cannot find the source of extra noise yourself. Bubbles may be some sort of cavitation of the oil system, may be coolant merging through a faulty seal. I don't know but you probably need to follow step one above before any further damage is done. Good luck, Markie
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome and good luck with your issues. Hopefully it's nothing major. How many miles on it, and did you change oil brand or type or anything different from previous?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, oil is cheap so maybe drop that oil out asap?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 07:31 PM

Garage
G'day, where abouts are you at? What is the oil level in the window? Is the oil / bubbles a milky colour? If so that would indicate water in the oil. Change the oil and filter asap and try to describe the engine noise. If it gets worse I suggest get it to a mechanic asap
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 08:44 PM

Garage
The bubbles may just be normal mixing caused by the crankshaft and rods, that you never noticed before. Like Maverick says if the oil is "milky" or foaming you may have coolant in your oil. Do not run it like this as it will take out you crank bearings, which will make a "rattling" noise before they fail. If the oil is normal color with a couple of bubbles on top you are probably fine and may just need a valve adjustment. Hard to diagnose without seeing in person, Hope this helps.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 09:21 PM

On random bikes from the past, I've noticed bubbles in oil on really hot days. Bubbles, themselves, may not be an issue. However, the quality and current condition are important. As someone else suggested, oil is relatively cheap...consider draining/inspecting, and then refilling. Has oil level increased/decreased since last oil change?

Since you suspect a potential issue, it's important to evaluate. Water/antifreeze in oil is BAD, definitely rule that out. Gasoline in oil isn't good either (unless of course it's a 2-stroke engine). Check these simple things and go from there. If you really suspect of an issue, send a sample of your oil for analysis.

And be sure to keep us posted with what you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhaversys View Post
I have a Versys 650 2009 that I use to go to work everyday. I keep her well maintained and since the last oil change I notice that after a 1 hour riding I can see some bubbles on top of the oil in the oil window.
Also I noticed an increase in the engine noise. I suspect that maybe it is time to check the valves but I can figure out about the bubbles.

Last edited by bwwoodard; 01-13-2016 at 09:24 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

I don't remember the miles but I can get back to you. I change the oil / filter following the specs. I will change again this weekend.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

I am in Gold Coast, QLD. The oil level is ok, between the lines.The bubbles are not exactly milk but sometimes seems to be clear yellow and as soon I turn off the bubbles disappear.The engine noise sounds like if the engine was running dry. This sometimes is bad valves adjustment. Also I suspect the valves because in the afternoon when I am riding back home I notice the engine gets in the working temperature faster than in the morning. I change the water and will change again with the oil.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

Welcome and good luck with your issues.

After MANY miles on both a '08 and a '09 650 V, I've NEVER noticed bubbles in my oil. How long are your "rides to work" each way?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I am in Gold Coast, QLD. The oil level is ok, between the lines.The bubbles are not exactly milk but sometimes seems to be clear yellow and as soon I turn off the bubbles disappear.The engine noise sounds like if the engine was running dry. This sometimes is bad valves adjustment. Also I suspect the valves because in the afternoon when I am riding back home I notice the engine gets in the working temperature faster than in the morning. I change the water and will change again with the oil.

Welcome

When do you notice the noise? At startup? While the bike is cold? Or after the bike has warmed up?
While the bike is stationary or while riding - chains and sprockets get noisy when old or out of adjustment and too loose.

You will always get a few bubble sitting into oh the oil in the sight glass especially after a quick gang. This is normal as the engine internal splash the oil around.

Your oil should be honey colour when fresh and darken sometimes to black when old.

If the oil is cream in colour that is bad as other have said that is coolant leaking into the oil - head gasket?

Yes your engine will take longer to warm up in the morning - that is normal as mornings are colder.

Prefer to use Tapatalk
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
...Yes your engine will take longer to warm up in the morning - that is normal as mornings are colder....
A GOOD cure is to get and install a "Thermo-Bob" which will get your coolant to operating temp quicker, and then keep it there...!

Here's a link to Bill's website: [url=http://www.watt-man.com/]

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode