Nice to Meet You - Owner of '08 Versys 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nice to Meet You - Owner of '08 Versys 650

Hi Gang,

I wanted to introduce myself. I left the world of British motorcycles (had a Triumph Bonneville) and am now the proud owner of a 2008 Kawasaki Versys 650 that I have named 'Big Red'. Unlike the Bonnie, this bike fits me well being that I am 6'1" and I am loving sitting higher and upright on this bike. That and the fact that the bike ergonomically just fits better.

I am sure I will have questions as I get the bike ready for my daily commute to work and the upcoming touring season. So far, my first addition to the bike will be a Givi V46 Top Case with an SW-Motech Steel Rack and Givi Monokey Adapter. And I will be adding the Givi lights for better visibility. After that are probably Wolfman saddlebags for touring.

One question I had is where I can find the plastic fairings for that are on the left and ride side of the engine and near the header pipes? Where is the best place to try to find these fairings?

Look forward to reading about everyone's Versys stories on the forum.

Best,
Ross Borgida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome Ross from Sunny and currently SNOW-LESS Palmer Alaska! You can look on eBay and probably find the fairings you need. OR many of the online OEM parts suppliers like Cheap Cycle Parts.com will have them too, usually at a higher price. Where are you riding your bike?
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

I live in the Mile High City of Denver. Here is a picture of BigRed where I circled where the fairing is missing on the bike. The fairing is missing on the other side as well.

Any ideas?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Here is the link for the bike I purchased where you can see the missing fairings. Any ideas on what the part number is for this?

Thanks,
Ross
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650 cc Red

And here is the photo of the bike where I circled the missing part. Sorry for all the posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	78041  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 03:36 AM

Garage
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 10:52 AM

Welcome from Minnesota. I hope you enjoy your new ride! I picked up mine back in October and absolutely love it, now I'm just sitting here waiting for winter to get over☹️

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Ross - if you put a skid-plate on, you won't need the plastic stuff. They DO NOT protect anything....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Ross - if you put a skid-plate on, you won't need the plastic stuff. They DO NOT protect anything....

Thanks Eddie. What do you recommend as a skid plate?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I had the GIVI S310 Trekker Lights on mine mounted to the Hepco Becker Crash Bars......

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Here is a skid plate I found on eBay. Would this be overkill for street riding and some gravel roads?

MASTECH Kawasaki Versys 650 Skidplate 06 09 | eBay
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 03:02 PM

Garage
Yes, unless you need a skid plate you are just adding unnecessary weight
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 03:05 PM

Garage
Many have the SW Motech and seem to like it. I was able to get my hands on the ever elusive Algard skidplate that's no longer produced and sourced from Europe.

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Yes, unless you need a skid plate you are just adding unnecessary weight
Thanks MaverickAus. But if I go off-road at all, then the skid plate is mandatory. Is that right?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 03:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Thanks MaverickAus. But if I go off-road at all, then the skid plate is mandatory. Is that right?
Depends on what type of off-road you will be doing really. The oil filter and drain plug are pretty exposed so if you think there might be a possibility of rocks, gravel, sticks, etc. getting thrown up, then yeah I would get one. AND a set of engine guards too. Even if you won't be doing any serious off-road. You never know when the bike wants to lay down for a nap. They will protect from major damage.

2011 ADVersys

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Depends on what type of off-road you will be doing really. The oil filter and drain plug are pretty exposed so if you think there might be a possibility of rocks, gravel, sticks, etc. getting thrown up, then yeah I would get one. AND a set of engine guards too. Even if you won't be doing any serious off-road. You never know when the bike wants to lay down for a nap. They will protect from major damage.

Thanks Jeff. Do all of you recommend the engine guards for street riding? What brand is recommended for engine guards? Are there any other Versys accessories you recommend for street riding only based on experience? I know I want to get better mirrors to see directly behind me.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 03:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post

Like Jeff said what do you call off road? MOST Versys riders will never take their bike into anything needing a bash plate. Jeff and Eddie are exceptions. My Versys never had nor needed a bash plate and as you can see above I have ridden gravel roads.
Your choice.
I do highly recommend BarkBusters and SW-Motech engine guards, they have saved damage to my bike in the past. (3 drops at standstill saved 3 clutch levers and possible other damage).
AlaskaJeff likes this.

Last edited by MaverickAus; 01-10-2016 at 03:57 AM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for everyone's responses. Greatly appreciated. I have hand guards on the bike already which is good to know.
For now, I am just going to focus on getting the fairings, engine guards, handlebar rises, and mirror extenders.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
mirror extenders

I got these cheap off Ebay, and they work for me (w/ Aprilia Tuono mirrors...).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Actually, I think the engine guards are on hold because of budget. The bottom fairings, mirror extenders, and handlebar risers seem to be the most important.

What are your thoughts on Motowerk mirror extenders and anti vibration risers?

Anti-vibration Handlebar Riser

Mirror Extenders

Seems to be well regarded on the forum and less expensive than Twisted Throttle.

Best,
Ross
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode