Hello from Sunny FL !! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Sunny FL !!

Hey all, just got my very 1st motorcycle: a 2009 blue Kawi Versys, 10,000mi, Yoshi pipe already on, for 2K$, from a likable seller.

I've started reading already, lots to learn. I was originally looking for a DR650- as I wanted to do my own work. But I couldn't pass up this deal, and really- I probably wouldnt have ridden dirt often at all anyway.

I'm thinking about dropping her off at the shop while I go out of town for the holidays.

Any of you guys know what I might be looking at spending for new plugs, coil sticks, air filter, coolant flush, oil change an battery? And should I get anything else done while it's all apart?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 07:02 AM

Welcome, all that stuff is simple to do. You can do it yourself.

Is the bike running? Why do you think you need new coils?

Battery 75.00
Oil & filter. 20.00
Radiator flush 10.00
Plugs. 20.00
Clean re oil air filter (free if you have element oil)
Retail on the ignition sticks about $140.00 retail each

I'm sure you could get the stuff cheaper if you shopped around.

Last edited by turn8a; 12-20-2015 at 07:08 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks turn8a!

Yea it's running fine actually...
I just fin watching the spark plug vid on YouTube.. I suppose I could do it myself...
The coils, I just thought, may as well after taking off the tank and 20 screws etc.

Also, I'm reading that w mail order batteries we have to pour our own acid. Do you guys bother with that? Or just pick up one already mixed from Walmart or a bike shop?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isi07734 View Post
Thanks turn8a!

I just fin watching the spark plug vid on YouTube.. I suppose I could do it myself...
The coils, I just thought, may as well after taking off the tank and 20 screws etc.

Also, I'm reading that w mail order batteries we have to pour our own acid. Do you guys bother with that? Or just pick up one already mixed from Walmart or a bike shop?

Thanks again

BB

I have an 2008 with 22600 miles the coils still work great. I just replaced my battery .Went to auto zone ordered online for the discount and picked up at my local auto zone. The battery is a sealed battery.
Also do a search for oil filters .I know some people use others than the oem oil filter.(purolator etc etc)
I also keep my bikes hooked up to a battery tender when not riding. I have a couple different ones but I like the Schumacher maintainer you can get at Walmart for about $20.00 .The service manual is also available in the tech section of the forum.

Last edited by turn8a; 12-20-2015 at 07:36 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 08:31 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum!

I was recently trying to get stationed in sunny Florida, but instead am now going to Northern Cali. Hope to some day experience Florida. Enjoy the ride!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
No need for new stick coils. All the rest is easy to do yourself. I get my plugs, Motul Coolant and oil off of Amazon. I got a GEL Battery i think it was from Power Motorsports for a little over 60 bucks.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 12-20-2015 at 12:01 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 11:39 AM

Garage
Welcome! I just got my very first motorcycle last week, so I'm right there with you.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Changing plugs.....http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ark-plugs.html

Changing oil...http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...il-change.html

Changing Coolant.....Just skip the install part of this....http://piffleco.com/ThermoBob/IM_Versys.pdf

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isi07734 View Post
Thanks turn8a!

Thanks again

Might be a good idea to check your valve clearances - QUITE a few of us found it a good idea, as when we checked, some valves were "tight". Then when checked later on (in MY case on my '08, done at 20,429 miles - ALL exhausts were TIGHT as well as two intakes, then set to the 'loose' end of the specs. Then re-checked at 39,501 miles where ALL EIGHT valves were CLOSE to what I'd set at 20K), they stayed pretty consistent.

I can't say at what miles I checked my '09 valves (records are in BC), but my memory seems to be around 6K....

BTW -

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

What a welcome! Thanks everyone!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 10:06 PM

Congrats on the new bike. Ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode