Hello! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Hello!

Hello everyone! I'm actually about to pull the trigger on a 2012 Versys. I've been contemplating between it and Suzuki SFV 650.

We are being relocated to Cali via military, and I'm looking for a commuter bike to work, which is approx 27 miles but 50-60 mins in normal rush hour (in a car). Primarily highway and interstate driving. Lane splitting/sharing is legal, so I would like an agile, fairly narrow bike that's more upright. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs. From what I've read, the Versys looks like a great option. I've owned 2 ZX6Rs and a GSXR 750 in the past.

I was offered a 2012 V with 1300 miles for $4700, which appears to be a great price from a dealership. Initial sticker was $5500.

Would appreciate input on this decision. Due to the forum, I'm sure the opinions will be a little biased

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 10:34 PM

Garage
Can't help you price wise, but IMO the Versys will do exactly what you want ... and so much more.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 07:18 AM

Price is a tad High IMO..
It sounds like it will be perfect for what you are wanting to do, it is a very agile bike. Just understand it will be considerably down on power compared to your other bikes you have owned. It will do everything you need it to do however.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 08:41 AM

Hello and welcome Army. Agreed the agility of the 650 would suite your needs perfectly. I'd try to get the price a little lower if you can.

2015 Versys 1000LT
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's the ideal bike for lane splitting & will be better than a cup of strong coffee on your way to work everyday!!!

As for the price, check out C/list for comp's in your area.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 10:35 AM

Original sticker price was $5500.00 ? Really?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
1300 mls on the clock is low mileage tho' Markie!

And the price looks right for Cally;
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/an...363330687.html

Although it may be worth spending a little extra...........
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcd/5356281433.html

Last edited by my2wheels; 12-17-2015 at 11:01 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGreens View Post
...I was offered a 2012 V with 1300 miles for $4700, which appears to be a great price from a dealership. Initial sticker was $5500.

Would appreciate input on this decision. Due to the forum, I'm sure the opinions will be a little biased

Thanks!
... and check out the FOR SALE section...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 01:38 PM

welcome to the forum - versys will definitely do the trick, I came to it from a 95 zx6r. what is your MOS?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
welcome to the forum - versys will definitely do the trick, I came to it from a 95 zx6r. what is your MOS?
koburn.. I'm a prior 13B (cannon crew member), 25B (Information Systems operator), 79R (Recruiter), and now a 79V (Career Counselor). I've had the pleasure of being assigned as an Officer Accesions NCO in my current assignment, and my next. I process Warrant Officer and Officer applications for in-service Soldiers. Our next location is Camp Parks, CA.. Bay area.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
1300 mls on the clock is low mileage tho' Markie!

And the price looks right for Cally;
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/an...363330687.html

Although it may be worth spending a little extra...........
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcd/5356281433.html
I'd like to have a new model, but we are trying to spend as little as possible, as this will primarily only be used as a commuter -- chances are I'll end up selling it once we relocate.

Thanks for the info though. I drooled a little over that 2015
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
Original sticker price was $5500.00 ? Really?
Granted, this is a BMW / Triump dealership .. Everything there is PRICEY. $4700 seems pretty fair, from what I've seen in my current location and where I'm headed. I've found some better deals, but no where close.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Granted, this is a BMW / Triump dealership .. Everything there is PRICEY. $4700 seems pretty fair, from what I've seen in my current location and where I'm headed. I've found some better deals, but no where close.
Yea for what its worth, I got a new left over 2014 model with zero miles for $4,800 before trade etc..
But if those deals don;t exist around you then I don;t think you'll go wrong with that price on a 2012. Its essentially a new bike.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Versys is a great little bike for Cali. I'm in SoCal.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Quote:
Yea for what its worth, I got a new left over 2014 model with zero miles for $4,800 before trade etc..
But if those deals don;t exist around you then I don;t think you'll go wrong with that price on a 2012. Its essentially a new bike.
I want to say thank you for mentioning the deal you got. I called some big dealers with left over 14s, and they matched the price I was paying for a 2012 at $4700. Additionally, they are 5 hours away and are delivering it for free. Amazing service!!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
koburn.. I'm a prior 13B (cannon crew member), 25B (Information Systems operator), 79R (Recruiter), and now a 79V (Career Counselor). I've had the pleasure of being assigned as an Officer Accesions NCO in my current assignment, and my next. I process Warrant Officer and Officer applications for in-service Soldiers. Our next location is Camp Parks, CA.. Bay area.
I met a prior Career Counselor at AIT for 91B (small arms and artillery repair), He was pretty helpful with the career advice and had fun competing with him for the highest scores and fastest times.

welcome to the forum, hope you stick around.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I want to say thank you for mentioning the deal you got. I called some big dealers with left over 14s, and they matched the price I was paying for a 2012 at $4700. Additionally, they are 5 hours away and are delivering it for free. Amazing service!!
Hey, now THAT is service! That's probably an extra 80 bucks or so in gas round trip for them, not to mention paying someone for the 10 hour trip.. Holy Cow! Deal of the year right there!

DUH or shipping it, that would only be a few hundred bucks, either way that's a great deal!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Hey, now THAT is service! That's probably an extra 80 bucks or so in gas round trip for them, not to mention paying someone for the 10 hour trip.. Holy Cow! Deal of the year right there!

DUH or shipping it, that would only be a few hundred bucks, either way that's a great deal!
Do you smoke cigars? I wouldn't have even given it a thought if you wouldn't have mentioned it. I can send you a couple of my favs if you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode