DragonBreath from Winston-Salem, NC - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DragonBreath from Winston-Salem, NC

New member here in the Piedmont of NC. I picked up a used '08 a couple of weeks ago and I've really been enjoying it. I commute on this bike so I'll get plenty of opportunity to learn it very quickly.

I'm coming from a dual sport background, and I already miss the dirt. The V is a better fit for my needs right now, but I had my KLR650 set up just like I wanted it. Actually, I had a tech day at my house yesterday for a bunch of KLR's and the guy that bought my KLR came. It was tough watching someone else wrench on my baby.

I've already had a little scuffle with the Versys. I went down fairly soft yesterday on the left side. I was coming into a right hand curve too hot. I probably could have made the curve, but I saw that I had a clear shot to a smooth grassy field if I allowed the bike to go straight across the oncoming lane and into the field. No cars were coming so that's what I did. The only probably was that the smooth grassy field wasn't so smooth under the smoothly cut grassy. Mr. Ditch had other plans for my nice controlled stop. I went down pretty well and immediately knew that nothing major on me was messed up. The bike just has a broken left cowling, turn signal and footpeg mount. One bracket for the cowling was bent but I was able to straighten that out.

The tricky part was rigging the footpeg mount to hold well enough to allow me to shift so that I could get home. We made several attempts that each held for 10-15 miles. I eventually made it home through the wonder of zip ties.

Anyway, I look forward to being an active member here. I'm a huge believer in the power of these forums to help us regular guys to know out bikes better and work on them ourselves. I didn't grow up turning wrenches, but I've learned a lot from forums and tech days over the last few years. Through the information that I've gathered from forums and helpful members, I've been able to avoid dealer service departments completely. I plan on keeping it that way.

Regards all.

Chris

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 07:27 PM

Chris,

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new bike. I thought I saw a Versys the other day but I said to myself,Nah couldnt be because I have the only one around here Seems to be a rather large NC presence on this board.I commute to GBO on mine so you will probably see me on either 40 or 52
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Very cool. PM sent.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 AM

Welcome Chris! from a fellow NC member as well

I live in Raleigh and commute to RTP. If Skeeter and / yourself are gonna be in the area, PM me and we can perhaps get together for a ride.

Cheers
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 AM

Greeting from the West side of NC! Make sure you guys PM me if you're coming out this way!

Welcome!

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

De-Silva,

That sounds good. My brother lives in Clayton just east of you. Actually, I came past you when I got my bike. I bought it used from a guy in Rocky Mount.

hacktracker, I envy the riding options that you have in your area.

One of the things that I will miss from my KLR is the tech days and group rides that we arranged. If folks here are interested in doing tech days with the V, then I like hosting them. Granted there's not as much on our bikes that need to be worked on as with a KLR, but there are some preventative maintenance things that are good to do and more fun to do as a group.

For example, I know on the KLR one of the things that is often overlooked is to grease all of the bearings and such in the swingarm. It'd be good to get a group together with a big ole' tub of molyB grease to do that and then follow it up with a group ride.

It's a great way to learn your bike and meet some fellow riders. I just held one for a bunch of KLR guys this past weekend, so my hall pass is used up for a month or so, but if folks wanted to do one in early to mid-September I could probably work it out. Anyone interested?

Chris

Chris in Oneonta, NY

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:21 AM

Chris - Tech days and group rides would be awesome....specially the first 3 weekends in September :-)

I must fess up that my mechanical abilities when it comes to bikes are hopeless....but I am a quick learner!

COUNT ME IN! :-) Cheers
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

De-Silva,

I'll start a separate thread soon on the tech day, but I'll definitely get something together fairly soon. There's just no better way to get to know the bikes. Plus it gives us an excuse to go ride more. Never a bad thing!

Another cool thing about tech days is that it gives folks a chance to try out each others windscreens, seats, etc. Since those items are so easily removable from the bike, it's easy to swap between bikes and do test rides. That way you can figure out which screen or seat or whatever is best for you without having to buy them. At the KLR tech day I held last Saturday, several folks got a chance to try out a guy's Sargent seat. Otherwise folks would have to just take a $350 gamble on a saddle.

Anyway, I'll start another thread soon to gauge interest.

Best regards,
Chris

Chris in Oneonta, NY

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:09 PM

Chris,

Let me know if you are pulling a tech day sometime in September...you may have seen Skeeter's Blue Ridge parkway group ride thread on 7th Sept.

Yeah, good idea for a get together for tips / tricks and ofcourse more rides!

Cheers! :-)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

I will go ahead and start angling for a day in September for a tech/ride day. My guess is that it will need to be middle to late in the month. Hopefully that will work out with enough folks to make it fun. If anyone has any particular preference on date, now is the time to get it out there.

BTW, between now and then I plan to read up on how to check and adjust the valves on this bike, so if anyone else besides me wants to check theirs, we can do them together.

Looking forward to meeting some of you all.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode