New Guy looking into a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By saddlebag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Guy looking into a Versys

From VA, own a Ninja 1000 and an F4i. Been looking at a Versys for a while, to commute on. Haven't been able to sit on one, but I imagine it's a little heavier than my F4i, and not as heavy as my Ninja.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 06:03 AM

specs show it about 20 lbs heavier wet than the f4i but about 80 lbs lighter than the ninja 1000.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 07:16 AM

Garage
It sits tall and upright which makes it easier on the wrists/back. All I can say is get down to your local dealer and take the demo for a spin!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Does it carry its weight high - fuel weight? Oddly enough, I haven't even sat on a Versys. Checked out an FJ09, but it was too much like my Ninja, and wife won't approve 2 new bikes in the garage. Vstrom seemed pretty top heavy, and I'm 5'8".
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 08:54 AM

it feels a little top heavy when sitting still. its the nature of a taller bike. I came to it from a zx6r and no issues but i'm 6'3" and can flat foot it with bent knees when stopped when others are tip toeing

Last edited by kohburn; 11-05-2015 at 08:57 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy View Post
From VA, own a Ninja 1000 and an F4i. Been looking at a Versys for a while, to commute on. Haven't been able to sit on one, but I imagine it's a little heavier than my F4i, and not as heavy as my Ninja.
The upright seating position is ideal for commuting. It's all day comfortable but also gives you great look around visibility in traffic as you are higher. The low RPM torque of the engine also is beneficial in traffic as you can accelerate away without having to worry too much what gear you are in.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 07:14 PM

What twowheels said. I use mine pretty much exclusively for commuting and the odd excursion, and it is a perfect bike for the task. I have had mine for 6 seasons, and have no desire to change bikes yet.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 11:23 PM

80 miles a day to and from school, and I never run out of comfort or fun.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

80 miles is a pretty good clip!

Thanks for the responses.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Does it carry its weight high - fuel weight? Oddly enough, I haven't even sat on a Versys. Checked out an FJ09, but it was too much like my Ninja, and wife won't approve 2 new bikes in the garage. Vstrom seemed pretty top heavy, and I'm 5'8".

What don't you like about the Ninja?

If you like the lil parallel twin, but don't care to own a tower bike, step right over this way:

Won't find a lower COG in Kawasaki's stable...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post

If you like the lil parallel twin, but don't care to own a tower bike, step right over this way:

Won't find a lower COG in Kawasaki's stable...

Good point!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
All day comfortable, and still handles plenty sporty enough for me (previous bikes were all sportbikes)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I'm 5'10", 150#, inseam 30". I can almost flatfoot it. If I've got 20 pounds of stuff in the luggage it sits low enough so I can.

Yes it carries the weight high compared to other bikes, with the fuel being a factor. I do notice a difference between empty or full fuel for the cg. It's a big 5.5 gallon gas can sitting up on top of the frame.

But I only notice the high cg at very low speeds or when stopped. My generally poor skills at very low speed maneuvering are at fault, too.

However, my 2 previous bikes sat a lot lower so I had more leverage with my legs, which then makes it feel even more stable. So it is a combination of where the cg is and how high the seat is for your leg length.

There is a lowering kit which you might want to install. Also, there are a few seat lowering kits out there (or you can get out a knife and diy). You could easily get the bike down to where you flatfoot it with bent knees.

I like the upright seating position. It is very comfortable for me in a few ways. First, I'm 54 yrs old with a sometimes bad back. My back never hurts on the Versy like it would on a cruiser style bike. Also I am happy not to have all my weight on my hands while riding as on a sport bike. My feet are under me, like sitting on a bar stool, which makes it very easy and natural to stand on the pegs when there's a bump or rough patch in the road.

The windshield does a fine job around town. At 65+ mph there is a bit of turbulence hitting my helmet at eyebrow level. I'll probably install a Madstad windshield which is a bit taller and more effectively manages the aerodynamics.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Welcome, and good luck on your choice...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I like everything about the Ninja, other than the suspension. I won't be getting rid of it.

I only asked about the weight of the Versys, since the tank looked a little high to me.

I'm fine with taller bikes, but if they are tall, they have to carry the weight low (for me, anyways). I was on my toes with an R6, but had no issues. I would never get lowering kits - would rather sacrifice maneuverability in parking spaces vs handling on the road. I do lower the front end of most of my bikes, just by a tad for handling.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I like everything about the Ninja, other than the suspension. I won't be getting rid of it.

I only asked about the weight of the Versys, since the tank looked a little high to me.

I'm fine with taller bikes, but if they are tall, they have to carry the weight low (for me, anyways). I was on my toes with an R6, but had no issues. I would never get lowering kits - would rather sacrifice maneuverability in parking spaces vs handling on the road. I do lower the front end of most of my bikes, just by a tad for handling.

When i lowered my Versys it improved the handling. I'm 6'2" the only reason i lowered it was because i messed up a hip and lowering it made it easier to swing the leg over. Lowered the front also but then put it back to stock much better for me that way.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
When i lowered my Versys it improved the handling.
I can't say for sure as I've never ridden one with the stock setup, but it stands to reason that bringing the COG down from the clouds couldn't hurt the handling. Mine has been lowered from jump street and except for a giant aftermarket kickstand foot, I don't have any clearance issues. And now that it's been ground down, it's not much of a problem anymore either.
weljo2001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode