Thinking about getting a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thinking about getting a Versys

Hey guys! I currently have a CB500X and am thinking of selling it and upgrading to the 2015 versys 650, so I figured I'd hop on your forum to see what this bike is all about. I have a few questions but not sure if I should ask them here or wait until I'm approved and post in the main forum...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:17 AM

It's an absolute RIOT of a bike with great riding dynamics all around. It's truely a multipurpose machine. Long highway rides are a breeze, and it isn't afraid of corners either. You'll love it if you get one, trust me. Three months in and I'm happy as a clam.

Welcome to the site by the way. Hopefully you'll get a V and join us!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome aboard

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage

well at least you bought a 500 over the 300.... the Versys is going excite you MUCH more
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 05:13 AM

Chappss I test rode a 2014 CB500x and enjoyed it for the most part as the ergos were good, the seat was surprisingly comfortable and the exhaust note was good. I would have bought one but the stealership flubbed on the price (they quoted me the non ABS version when I specifically asked for ABS). So I told them to contact me when they were ready to honor that price..they never did.

Glad I waited because a month or two later I test rode the 2015 650 V and knew it was a winner.

The Vs ergo triangle is a little sportier but that allows for more control on cornering and the Vs seat was hard initially but I'm used to it and can ride for a couple of hours without issue. Little things like cheap looking suspension and non attached gas cap left me wanting more from the CB.

I'm more conservative and wouldn't upgrade unless you need a certain feature (like ABS) or can buy a 2015 during the off season once the 2016 models (new colors only) ship.

The CB500x is a great bike. Keep riding it and hang around here as long as you like!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 05:45 AM

Garage
The V is a great bike you won't regret it
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 06:52 AM

You know whats good about these bikes, (and your 500)is you can Hop on a forum like this and just see what you are getting. I mean, read through these forums, and there just isn't a lot of things going wrong. Sure there are a lot of folks wanting to adjust, or modify it to fit them, make it faster, lower taller, softer, etc.. But in general There just isn't a lot that seems to break on these bikes.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragornjoe View Post
Chappss I test rode a 2014 CB500x and enjoyed it for the most part as the ergos were good, the seat was surprisingly comfortable and the exhaust note was good. I would have bought one but the stealership flubbed on the price (they quoted me the non ABS version when I specifically asked for ABS). So I told them to contact me when they were ready to honor that price..they never did.

Glad I waited because a month or two later I test rode the 2015 650 V and knew it was a winner.

The Vs ergo triangle is a little sportier but that allows for more control on cornering and the Vs seat was hard initially but I'm used to it and can ride for a couple of hours without issue. Little things like cheap looking suspension and non attached gas cap left me wanting more from the CB.

I'm more conservative and wouldn't upgrade unless you need a certain feature (like ABS) or can buy a 2015 during the off season once the 2016 models (new colors only) ship.

The CB500x is a great bike. Keep riding it and hang around here as long as you like!

Well that's perfect that you have ridden the two bikes and are able to compare them. I love the CB, it just leaves me wanting a little more. I think the main thing I'm worried about is that I hear the Versys vibrates a lot. Is that still an issue on the 2015 model? One thing I love about the CB is how smooth it is and even at 75mph you still can't feel any vibration
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:39 AM

Garage
Ask ronheater that one
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:49 AM

I have a 2012 with no vibration problems at all. A pleasure to ride!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 10:48 AM

You're thinkin too much just do it. Welcome to the forum
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Ask ronheater that one
Well Mines a left over 14, not a 15.. Supposedly the 15's are a wee bit better. However, being that I dang near absolutely despised the bike mainly because of vibes for the first 200 miles, it is a legitimate question!
Safe to say though, that it gets smoother and smoother! And I only have a tad over 1100 miles on it now, I imagine it getting smoother as it wears in more.

BUT, on the other hand the Buzziness / Vibes are all relative to the individual rider. so what one might find annoying, another may see it as no big deal. The only thing you can do is ride and try it out and see if it is an Issue for You! The gloves you wear, boots, riding gear in general can lead to slight variations of what one experiences.

I will say, this seems to be one of those bikes, you cannot judge quickly.

Last edited by ronheater70; 10-27-2015 at 10:59 AM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Well Mines a left over 14, not a 15.. Supposedly the 15's are a wee bit better. However, being that I dang near absolutely despised the bike mainly because of vibes for the first 200 miles, it is a legitimate question!
Safe to say though, that it gets smoother and smoother! And I only have a tad over 1100 miles on it now, I imagine it getting smoother as it wears in more.

BUT, on the other hand the Buzziness / Vibes are all relative to the individual rider. so what one might find annoying, another may see it as no big deal. The only thing you can do is ride and try it out and see if it is an Issue for You! The gloves you wear, boots, riding gear in general can lead to slight variations of what one experiences.

I will say, this seems to be one of those bikes, you cannot judge quickly.
I'd love to test ride one but the dealers don't let you unless it's pre-owned. I think the only other way is to wait until a demo comes around
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappssss View Post
Quote:

Well that's perfect that you have ridden the two bikes and are able to compare them. I love the CB, it just leaves me wanting a little more. I think the main thing I'm worried about is that I hear the Versys vibrates a lot. Is that still an issue on the 2015 model? One thing I love about the CB is how smooth it is and even at 75mph you still can't feel any vibration
There-in lies the balance between dry weight, fuel efficiency, and grin factor. I can say 95% of the time I'm happy with power output. Being realistic you might say the same about the CB.

It seems that 20% of the posts on this site are about engine vibes. A parallel twin will always vibe compared to v-twins like the DL/SV but for me they smoothed out well below 1K miles and now I notice a slight numbness in the hands during hour long rides. No issues with vibes in the seat. I'm very happy with my gen III 650 V.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
There-in lies the balance between dry weight, fuel efficiency, and grin factor. I can say 95% of the time I'm happy with power output. Being realistic you might say the same about the CB.

It seems that 20% of the posts on this site are about engine vibes. A parallel twin will always vibe compared to v-twins like the DL/SV but for me they smoothed out well below 1K miles and now I notice a slight numbness in the hands during hour long rides. No issues with vibes in the seat. I'm very happy with my gen III 650 V.
Yea I've heard people say the parallel twins vibe a bit, but I literally don't feel anything on my CBX so if the Versys feels anything similar than I'll be quite content
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:28 PM

wouldn't expect the kawi to be as smooth as the Honda, but the vibes are really nothing.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Welcome aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 11:02 PM

Buy Buy Buy

-Kon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode