Versys 1000 LT vs 650 LT - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spartann71
Versys 1000 LT vs 650 LT

Curious how many members have the 650 vs the 1000? So far it looks like the majority favor the 650. Makes me wonder if I should have taken it more seriously before plunking the money down for the 1000.. I didn't ride the 650 figuring it wouldn't have quite the punch I like to have in a bike like this. I did test out a 2015 Yamaha FZ-09, fun bike but a bit to scary for a regular ride IMO.. The Versys 1000 LT seems just right to me so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 02:38 PM

Garage
In before Kawdog's first disparaging comment about a brick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
In before Kawdog's first disparaging comment about a brick.
What's wrong, nothing going on in ADVrider today?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartann71 View Post
Curious how many members have the 650 vs the 1000? So far it looks like the majority favor the 650. Makes me wonder if I should have taken it more seriously before plunking the money down for the 1000.. I didn't ride the 650 figuring it wouldn't have quite the punch I like to have in a bike like this. I did test out a 2015 Yamaha FZ-09, fun bike but a bit to scary for a regular ride IMO.. The Versys 1000 LT seems just right to me so far.
The 650 has been around a whole lot longer. I think the V1k are selling fine.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 04:25 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
650 has plenty of power . mines regeared 2 down in the rear and can still clutch up in second and its a first gen

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I think they are both great.

I own a 2012 650 geared 16T/46T +1 front +zero rear
I commute daily into the city with plenty of close filtering and low speed splitting. I think that this is perfect for what it does and still able to thrill me on weekends in the twisties and cope with highway long travels.

Where I think the 1000 sits is in the similar range just shifted a little to the the right... less commuting and more highway. It can still filter but probably not as nimble.
silviefox likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 06:11 PM

Garage
Well i had the 650 and got tired of waiting for Kawi to bing the 1000 to the states. So picked up an FJR jan,2014 then they announce the 1000 is coming in 2015....I liked the 650 but being a big guy i think i would like the 1000 more. my girlfriend is still pissed i got rid of the 650 she loved that bike and is not thrilled with the FJR....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Well i had the 650 and got tired of waiting for Kawi to bing the 1000 to the states. So picked up an FJR jan,2014 then they announce the 1000 is coming in 2015....I liked the 650 but being a big guy i think i would like the 1000 more. my girlfriend is still pissed i got rid of the 650 she loved that bike and is not thrilled with the FJR....
What doesn't she like about it?

My wife was okay with it. I also had a Warrior along with it for a time. She said riding the two was like being at the amusement park and going between the antique cars ride and the biggest, baddest steel roller coaster.

But we took that roller coaster on a quite a few high mile MC vacations. Very versatile and nearly indestructible machine.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 07:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post

My wife was okay with it. I also had a Warrior along with it for a time. She said riding the two was like being at the amusement park and going between the antique cars ride and the biggest, baddest steel roller coaster.

But we took that roller coaster on a quite a few high mile MC vacations. Very versatile and nearly indestructible machine.
The Versys was just more comfortable for her. Especially with the saddle bags on.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 07:44 PM

Versys 1000 for me

I got the Versys 1000 about a month ago and I am glad I did. The versys has a low setting where it rides at 75% power. When I am two up riding on this setting i notice a considerable lack of punch. If you are riding 2 up you a would recommend the 1000 for sure. Also for long highway rides having the extra power is nice. I would imagine the 650 is nice if you do a lot of about town
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 08:14 PM

Garage
Quote:

Yes, the Warrior is definitely a roller coaster ride.

But, I wouldn't call the FJR an antique car. It isn't a Concours, but it is an OK tourer.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Yes, the Warrior is definitely a roller coaster ride.

But, I wouldn't call the FJR an antique car. It isn't a Concours, but it is an OK tourer.
Never ridden a new Connie. I heard the linked brakes weren't so good. IIRC, they had some heat issues at first too.

I actually thought the Warrior was ok. It sucked stock. I bought it off the internet about 150 or more miles away. The first ride home was awful. Seat sucked, pegs sucked, it was torture.

I put floorboards, a windscreen, handlebars, and some gel pads in the seat and it was an all day comfy ride. It still sounded like a and felt a bit like a tractor. The handlebars transmitted too much vibration at 80 mph and always put my hands to sleep. Given my commute at the time required a lot of that, I finally let it go.

It took me a little time to get used to the V1k. It steers much lighter and seems to have a lot less flywheel effect than I was used to. Everything must be done very quickly to be smooth. Now that I've got the hang of it, not too interested in going back, but I do miss the convenience of shaft drive...
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 11:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartann71 View Post
If your happy with the 1000 then you bought the right bike. I owned the 650 for almost 3 years, awesome bike. I test rode a 1000 for over 700 km and it's just like the 650's big brother, rides much the same but with quite a bit more power. If you are doing a lot of touring especially 2 up the 1000 is the better bike IMO.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
If your happy with the 1000 then you bought the right bike. I owned the 650 for almost 3 years, awesome bike. I test rode a 1000 for over 700 km and it's just like the 650's big brother, rides much the same but with quite a bit more power. If you are doing a lot of touring especially 2 up the 1000 is the better bike IMO.
If you thought the V1k handled good with T30s. You really need to ride it with something else. I've had a couple tyoes of Continentals on the rear since the T30 and neither of them cause it to understeer the way the T30 rear did. Bike is an absolute Exacto knife with its current Road Attack II Evo back there.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 06:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
If you thought the V1k handled good with T30s.
Yeah I was impressed
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston15 View Post
...I would imagine the 650 is nice if you do a lot of about town
I'm OVER 100,000 miles among my three V 650s. MANY long rides including Alaska and northern Canada, plus quite a bit of dirt roads. LOTS of 'two-up' ride miles. For ME ... the 650 is GREAT!

kohburn likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 06:49 PM

I ride solo on both my Versys. They're both nice bikes, but prefer the 650. My own personal preference.

I'll probably sell the 1000 in the spring. Or right now if anybody has some cash.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post

Did you get a chance to ride that RS? That's my kinda sport tourer. Haven't seen a bad word on it yet.

Now that I have the V1k's FPM lurchy throttle fixed with a PC5 and the understeer fixed with a different rear tire, I don't have much to complain about it either for that matter.

Except for emissions crap, it's a pretty good era to be a bike consumer.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:46 AM

I wanted the 1000, however a near impossible to pass up deal came for a left over 14, that and the trade in for my uly means I got out the door on the cheap. So for me, it was strictly a financial decision. For 200 miles I regretted the decision, I now have no regrets over the decision.
kohburn likes this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Did you get a chance to ride that RS? That's my kinda sport tourer. Haven't seen a bad word on it yet.

Now that I have the V1k's FPM lurchy throttle fixed with a PC5 and the understeer fixed with a different rear tire, I don't have much to complain about it either for that matter.

Except for emissions crap, it's a pretty good era to be a bike consumer.
No, it belongs to a friend of mine but I'm afraid to ride it.
Afraid that I will want one.

No matter where you go - there you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in