Tire question: To plug or not to plug? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By jasonabc
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By HondaGalToo
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By HondaGalToo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Tire question: To plug or not to plug?

Been riding for 14 years and got my first flat tire today (80mph on the 405 freeway - not fun!). I'm ok - it deflated really quickly but managed to get the bike to the side of the road, tow truck picked me up and took me to the nearest shop. Pics are below. The hole was right in the middle of the tire so I thought I might get away with having it plugged/patched.

The shop refused to do this though saying it's not worth the risk and they avoid it due to liability issues. I've also read that shops won't patch a tire because they make far more money off selling you a new one...

Thought I'd throw this open to my fellow bikers on here and see what you all thought when it comes to flat tires? Replace them regardless - or is patching/plugging ok?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	73833   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	73841  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I would have plugged it. I've plugged a few and never had an issue with them put about 8000 miles on a plugged tire. I'm in the Los Angeles area if you want to plug it let me know i have a plugging kit and mini compressor.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
This is the kit i have....Tire Mobility Kit for Cars - Stop & Go International Inc Store They have less expensive ones also..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 02:54 PM

Garage
Mate of mine plugged his front tyre on his Honda VFR750 and had no issue with it. Plenty of kits out there.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

thanks mate - I now have a new rear tire and the shop disposed of the old one so no need for plugging but I checked out the link you posted and found this:

Pocket Tire Plugger plus CO2 Inflation

Does a great job of plugging the tire and comes with mini C02 canisters so you can inflate the tyre once it's plugged. Think I'll nip in and grab this as it's only $50. This morning's episode cost me almost $300....
weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by jasonabc; 10-08-2015 at 03:03 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I have 'plugged' a tire and then ridden on it till it's time to replace, but I DO keep in mind that it's plugged, so checking pressures frequently, watching for problems, etc.

Years ago I rode over some glass on my Bandit. Gave it a VERY slow leak, so I kept a VG watch on that tire's pressures (and appearances), and used it till it was time to replace it.

jasonabc likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 07:29 PM

Check out Dynaplug.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Depending on the diameter of the puncture ,plug In works most of the time. always carry a Kit for emergency use.

Mushroom Plugs are the best for tire repair...IMHO.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 09:03 AM

I've lost count of how many tires I've plugged and never had issues with them. After the plugging I don't give them any special treatment, checking tire pressure should be part of your routine maintenance. I usually check them every time I lube the chain.

On my trips I take this inflator:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Mo...slime+inflator

And a set of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034--T-...slime+plug+kit

Keep in mind that the rubber cement in those tends to dry out, so I always get a new one before a trip.

Last edited by Süsser Tod; 10-09-2015 at 09:07 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm on the conservative side of this fence. I'd plug it with one of those kits to get where I'm going, then replace it.
The speed rating of the tire no longer applies once plugged.
TX_Fred106 likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
...The speed rating of the tire no longer applies once plugged.
MY tires have a "Z" rating which refers to a speed rating GREATER than 149 mph, followed by a "W" which clarifies THAT by rating it at 168 mph.

Well-and-good, but I figure that I am rated at one HELLUVA lot less than EITHER, and PROBABLY more in line w/ either a "P" or a "Q" rating, while my Vs seem to match the "T" or "U" ratings....

TX_Fred106 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well, yeah, I suppose for street riding that may not be relevant, lol. I guess my point is that the tire is comprised when plugged. As I'd said, I won't do it, but that's the right choice for me.
TX_Fred106 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode