New Member From NJ - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

11Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By goat12
  • 1 Post By kiwi 41
  • 1 Post By MaverickAus
  • 1 Post By ESE_VERSYS2013
  • 1 Post By AlaskaJeff
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By otrp
  • 1 Post By HondaGalToo
  • 1 Post By Arion
  • 1 Post By densecity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Member From NJ

Hi All! I'm a female rider from Northern NJ.

I purchased my white 2013 Versys as a new leftover in the beginning of this year and already have over 3000 miles on it thanks to a one-week trip from NJ to Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia. It was the longest trip I've ever taken and loved every minute of it because of my new Versys. Comfortable at high speeds, stable in the rain, held lots of luggage and my favorite part - it's "flickable" like a dirtbike. I am so comfortable on the bike I never felt sore or tired during or after the trip. I've also been riding it to work, something I never did with my previous bikes - a Kawasaki KLX400, a Kawasaki Ninja 250 and what I think I remember was a Suzuki GS400 - I hated that bike so much I only rode it one time and then sold it.

A little background on my decision to buy the Versys: I feel most comfortable on dirt bikes and dual sports, so I had been trying to find a bike which would serve both purposes. I've had a KLX400 for the last few years and although it was great for short trips around town, it was too heavy for me to use in the dirt (and I was also always freaked about denting the gas tank), and too small and uncomfortable to keep up with my husbands V-Strom 1000 on longer trips. I realized that one bike can't be all things. Since I also have a WR250 for the dirt, I needed to get rid of my KLX400 and get a real street bike, but one with a dual-sport feel and could handle some dirt roads.

I had rented a KLR650 in Vegas last year, so I started looking at those. I was really unhappy with the condition, mileage and prices of the ones I was finding, so I kept looking, eventually stumbling upon a used Versys with matching Givi cases in one of the showrooms. I sat on it and knew it was perfect for me. I loved the way I sat forward on the seat, against the gas tank - like my dirtbike! I also liked that I could attach luggage. Unfortunately, it was already sold so I headed right up to the local dealer and found my bike.

Since buying my bike, I've been a regular visitor to this site searching for information on a number of subjects. I have made a number of changes to my bike based on the excellent information the users provide in the forums section:

I (my husband) added the MotoWerks Footpeg Lowering Blocks. I'm 5'6" and I had a HUGE issue with the footpegs being in the way when I was stopped. They were jabbing into the side of my calves and catching my pant legs. I tried changing the position of my legs but having them any other way wasn't working for me, so they got lowered. They are low enough now that they don't hit my legs. I also feel less cramped when riding.

I (my husband) also added the 12 Volt DC Power Outlet. I bought a used OEM bracket on eBay for $10 and found a used relay on eBay for @$10. It said it was for a Ninja, but it had the same number on it that the Versys OEM one has - Omron Relay 1086. My husband also found outlets on eBay for $6 so he bought a few since he was also adding them to his bike for the Nova Scotia trip.

I added the Cortech Super 2.0 36L Saddlebags and a 24L Tail Bag. They strap right over the seat (one strap under the grab bars and one strap towards the front of the bike) and hang over the sides. Not one issue with movement in 3000 miles. I have a cheap black bicycle cable lock which I weave through the handles and the bike's grab bars to make them close to impossible to open or remove without cutting something. I'm counting on the casual thief not having the tools to do so.

I just added the following Top Case set-up which I plan on posting about in the forums. The combination of items totalled $200. Givi 451FZ Top Case Mounting Brackets ($90 RevZilla), a Happy-Trails SU Adapter Plate (to use as my base plate $60 + $13 shipping from Happy-Trails) and a Garage Pro Top Case ($37 JC Whitney). I had learned on the forums that the JC Whitney medium case does not work with the Givi M5, M7 or M5M mounting plates. Unfortunately, the mounting plate which comes with the JC Whitney case does not fit on the Givi Mounting Brackets, so I needed a base plate for under it at a reasonable price. I scoured the sites and found the HT SU Adapter Plate which is really for their side cases, but the measurements seemed perfect so I ordered one. It was! Two holes even matched up perfectly with the Givi Brackets. My husband drilled two more holes in the HT plate to attach it to the Givi brackets and then attached the JC Whitney plate after drilling 3 additional holes to attach. Since the HT plate came with tons of screws, we had what ne needed to mount, including replacing the JC Whitney screws with the better quality HT screws. Looks great but I need to address the decreased visibility of the brake light. The JC Whitney case does not have built-in lights so my husband is researching new brake light options.

Next up: Brush Guards, Crash Bars and Touring Windshield. Also need to fix the buzzing in the gauges.

See you in the forums or on the road!

Last edited by Linda; 09-29-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Linda likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 09:29 PM

Smile

Welcome aboard, Linda. You're certainly in the right place for all things Versys, as you've no doubt seen. You'll have trouble finding anyone arguing that it isn't a great bike. I've owned a bunch and my 2011 Versys is the best by a country mile. Ride safe and enjoy!

Linda likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome aboard and I have always found the versys 650 one of the most flickable bikes ive owned.
Linda likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 10:40 PM

Garage
G'day Linda,
my Versys was one of the best bikes I ever owned pretty much the same reasons as yourself. It's a great bike.
Linda likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 04:50 AM

Welcome! I,too am from NNJ, A stone throw away from the GWB. I also have a white 2013 V.
Linda likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Nice, sounds like you know your way around a bike and a garage! You need to take some pictures of what you (and your husband)have done to your bike so far. Oh, and welcome from Alaska.
Linda likes this.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
from BC, and... in 15 days - AZ!

Linda likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:38 PM

Hello and welcome.
Linda likes this.

2015 Versys 1000LT
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome from central NJ!
Linda likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome from San Antonio, Texas.
Linda likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 12:50 AM

Welcome - I'm from Queens and couldnt agree more with my 14. Such a great bike.
Linda likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode