Traded in the Ninja for a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Traded in the Ninja for a Versys

Hello,

New member and owner here Just picked up my new 2015 Versus 650 LT here a few weeks ago. I traded my 1995 Ninja ZX6E that was still in good condition, but now that I am over 40 I wanted something a little more age fitting Got the LT version because I wanted the panniers and the hand guards. The panniers are still at the dealer getting new tumblers for the locks, so I don't have them yet. Hopefully I will get them soon.

Attached are pics of the old bike and the new one. I will miss the Ninja, but I am enjoying the Versys so far, especially with two up.

Cheers - Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1020.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	73106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1031.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	73114  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Banned

Hey man.. I had that same ninja! Around 30,000 miles somebody stole it at the Road Atlanta Race.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.

Lots of good information here.

Tell us what modifications you want, and we will help you spend your money $$$.

We are all good at THAT.

No matter where you go - there you are.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltbuck View Post
Hey man.. I had that same ninja! Around 30,000 miles somebody stole it at the Road Atlanta Race.
Sorry to hear This one I owned since 1999. I bought for around $5k back then and it had 1900 miles on it. When I traded it a few weeks ago, it had close to 28k miles. Great bike and it will be missed.

Kman
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Lots of good information here.

Tell us what modifications you want, and we will help you spend your money $$$.

We are all good at THAT.

Thanks! That's what I am afraid of We'll see what monies are available after I get the plates for it later this week.

Kman
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 AM

looks so familiar - my last bike was a 1995 zx6r

(not mine but close)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
looks so familiar - my last bike was a 1995 zx6r
The ZX-6E/R were basically the same bike starting in 1993. Miguel Duhamel won the AMA 600 Supersport Championship on that bike. The E was more developed towards street/sport and the R was the racing version. The E version more or less stayed unchanged for the next ten years (till 2003). The R version obviously has evolved into what it is today. In 2004 the E was replaced with the ZZR600, which was the old R version at the time. Then after a few years Kawasaki ditched recycling the old R's and started the 650 parallel twin bikes. The Ninja 650 is now essentially what the old ZX-6E was.

Kman

Last edited by kman24; 09-28-2015 at 01:24 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
Sorry to hear This one I owned since 1999. I bought for around $5k back then and it had 1900 miles on it. When I traded it a few weeks ago, it had close to 28k miles. Great bike and it will be missed.

Kman
Congrats on the new ride. It really is a hooligan bike in disguise.

Only around 1650 miles a year. Barely a rider.

Hope that picks up with the new backroads touring bike.

It is interesting when you look at the tails on sportbikes and how big they were back then compared to today. Bet you could have stored a picnic lunch under that seat.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
It is interesting when you look at the tails on sportbikes and how big they were back then compared to today. Bet you could have stored a picnic lunch under that seat.
I was able to store my rain suit and that's all.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Congrats on the new ride. It really is a hooligan bike in disguise.

Only around 1650 miles a year. Barely a rider.

Hope that picks up with the new backroads touring bike.

Thanks! I had a lot more miles per year earlier on when I was single and didn't have two kids to tend to. But, as the years went on the miles slowly dwindled (a common story, huh). I almost got rid of the bike a couple years ago and wasn't going to replace it. But, I pretty much had "a bike" my entire life and didn't want to abandon riding altogether. Then last year my daughter was old enough to ride on the back and she absolutely loved it. So, this year I told the wife that the ole Ninja was needing upgrade if I was going to be giving rides all the time. The rest is history

So far, I only have 150 miles on it in the last few weeks. I think I will be lucky to get 500-600 miles before the end of this season. Just in time to have the initial oil change done before putting it away for the winter. But, next year I would like to get back to putting on at least a few thousand per year whether it is for fun or commuting.

Kman
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Welcome aboard...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Banned

28,000 on that bike is awesome ! (To me)hope u got more from the new V
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 05:54 PM
Banned

Get... Not got
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 09:10 AM

understand the kid deal completely - just curious but at what age did you decide your daughter was old enough to ride along?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
FWIW - when my kids were little I fashioned a piece of seat-belt webbing into a piece about 24" long w/ a loop at each end (sewn by a shoe-maker) which I would drape over my seat in FRONT of me. Then I would take one for a ride by mounting him up w/ his feet in those "stirrups", ahead of me so my arms encircled him, (ATGATT of course!) and we'd ride for hours. I did NOT allow the boys behind me till older. The stirrups allowed them to support their 'guts' properly, by taking weight off by standing....

One of my boys FIRST rode his Suzuki JR50 (w/ a side-car) at 2 1/2 years, then solo by four, while the other started at about six years. They both eventually progressed thru a Honda XR75 then a 100.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 01:56 PM

Welcome.

2015 Versys 1000LT
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
It will be interesting to hear how you find the Ninja 650 and the Versys 650 compare as the Versys is derived from the Ninja and they share most of the same parts.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
understand the kid deal completely - just curious but at what age did you decide your daughter was old enough to ride along?
My daughter was 6 when she could start riding on the back with me. At that age, she was able to reach the footpegs on the backseat, wear a helmet that we had, and hang onto the grab handles (and me). As long as she can ride safely with me, that was the #1 criteria

Kman
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
It will be interesting to hear how you find the Ninja 650 and the Versys 650 compare as the Versys is derived from the Ninja and they share most of the same parts.
I had the old Ninja 600 not 650. It was a completely different engine and frame I can say that the difference between that bike and the Versys is like night and day. Both enjoyable for different reasons, though.

Kman
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Finally got my panniers from the dealer Apparently the original set got damaged in transit, so they ordered me new ones. I am really happy with the way the work and look. I think Kawasaki did a knockout job with the design. Easy to operate and easy to remove when needed.

Cheers

Kman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1060_1443666755006.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	73305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1061_1443666774510.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	73313  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode