oil change - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 2 Post By outdoorgb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
oil change

Hi everyone. Nice to be here!

I'm about to hit 3,500 miles on my new 2015 Versys LT. She was last serviced by the dealer at 600 miles. Looking through the "oil window" at the side of the engine - the oil is pretty black... From the color of it - it needs changing - but the manual says I don't need to change the oil for at least another 4,000 miles...

Should I change the oil or stop worrying? Is it usual for the oil to be so dark within 3,500 of use?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
color is no way to judge your oil, viscosity and its anti friction quality , there really isnt any harm in changing your oil too soon you can do damage by NOT changing it when you should (IE X amount of miles and or X amount of time/heat cycles)
jasonabc likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 04:22 PM

silviefox is correct...color is not indicator.
Hell, my KLR 650 turns black "looking" within a day of changing the oil.

However, no way in hell would I go that long on my motorcycles...I'm no expert so probably just wasting my money.
In 35 years of riding I don't think I ever cracked 3K before a change...
kawdog and jasonabc like this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I changed mine every 3000-3500 miles using full synthetic. It only takes 2 quarts or a pinch over so it's fairly inexpensive for oil changes. You can get a Bosch 3300 oil filter at the auto parts store and save a few bucks...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonabc View Post

I'm about to hit 3,500 miles on my new 2015 Versys LT. She was last serviced by the dealer at 600 miles. Looking through the "oil window" at the side of the engine - the oil is pretty black... From the color of it - it needs changing - but the manual says I don't need to change the oil for at least another 4,000 miles...

Should I change the oil or stop worrying? Is it usual for the oil to be so dark within 3,500 of use?

thanks!
By just over 2000 miles I was on my 3rd oil change. [former race engine builder] FYI, mine is also a '15 1000LT. I usually go by smell.

First change at 620 miles. I also cut my 2nd filter open...nothing horrific in there thankfully.

Third change is now Silkolene 4T motorcycle oil.
There is a difference. Used the high end Purolator filter.
This oil will stay for a full 3000.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I dunno.

The darned thing only holds two quarts.

TWO quarts.

Changing it a bit more often will not hurt anything.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I changed mine every 3000-3500 miles using full synthetic. It only takes 2 quarts or a pinch over so it's fairly inexpensive for oil changes. You can get a Bosch 3300 oil filter at the auto parts store and save a few bucks...
That's my timeframe as well, with full synthetic. Filter change every time. I've always used the stock filters, but there are other options. K&N makes a good filter.
That oil change interval has served me well over the past 30 years.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 06:50 AM

I change mine at about 3000 - its quick and cheap.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonabc View Post

thanks!
Stop worrying, is my advice. Like others here, I change MORE often than the "book" says to (I use 5,000 miles// 8,000 kms, so IF my ODO has a number divisible by 5 [US], or 8 [Canada], I change oil and filter). At 7,550 kms right now, my '15 650 WILL have its FOURTH change in a few days, at 8,000.

Did the "Motoman" break-in riding home from the dealership then changed oil at 93 kms; again at 501 kms; then AGAIN at 1,003 kms to Mobil1 automobile 15w-50 synthetic which will go in AGAIN, at 8K.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode