Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New member - Old rider

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
I'm a 72-year old former Versys rider. My '08 650 was one of the most fun bikes I ever owned. But I traded it for a Honda NT700VA for more comfort.

I rode the Versys from norther WI down the Mississippi to about Memphis and eastward to TN, SC, NC, KY, WV, OH, and homeward. I also had it out west a time or two and tired taking it up to a high mountain campground in ID where I had worked in the late 60's. But the road got too rough and I only made it 65 out of the 70 miles of gravel and rocks. If I had had off-road tires with less air pressure I might have made it, but I didn't want to wreck 70 miles from the nearest town so I turned around.

Now one of my riding buddies is on a Versys 650 and I signed on here just to make sure he is telling the truth (ha-ha).

Photo is Moccasin Creek Rd, Cobalt ID

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Forgot to mention that I'm also a former Concours (C10) rider. And my son rides a C14. So I'm still related to the Kawi Family.

I also have the distinction of blowing up one of the bullet-proof Concours engines. A connecting rod came through the engine case after hydrolocking the engine. It was the result of a failed fuel valve coupled with a leaky float valve which allowed gas to fill a cylinder which bent the con-rod upon starting. (raw gas does not compress) So I bought an engine out of a newer wrecked bike with less miles on it and installed it. It then ran better than when it was new.

#16 ·
:welcome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.