Versys 2010 vs 2015 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys 2010 vs 2015

Anyone have the same opinion the the old versys has better handling compared to new versys? I'm referring to KLE650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 11:00 AM

I believe the geometry has gone unchanged so they should handle the same. fork suspension might have been upgraded for 2015 though.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcintst View Post
Anyone have the same opinion the the old versys has better handling compared to new versys? I'm referring to KLE650
IMHO - the '15 has BETTER stock suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
I believe the geometry has gone unchanged so they should handle the same. fork suspension might have been upgraded for 2015 though.
This IS correct. New ones have 'cartridge' forks from Showa.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 03:46 PM

Garage
Haven't ridden the 15
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 03:52 PM

There's good news and bad news. The '15 gained remote preload for the rear, but lost the rebound adjustment.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieAG View Post
There's good news and bad news. The '15 gained remote preload for the rear, but lost the rebound adjustment.
Correct, but the rear shock feels WAY-Y-Y better to me...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Correct, but the rear shock feels WAY-Y-Y better to me...!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=WO...AXECMFPCNDUA0A

$349.95 (Note, their price went up where I bought, but should be approximate low price on Amazon or Ebay one.)

These are an upgrade as well for not a great deal of money. If Progressive has your rear shock available, it will be hard to beat elsewhere in price and performance, especially compared to oem (Japanese bike or Harley.) And I really liked the oem shock for the most part on the 2012, but... I wanted a heavier duty shock.

Last edited by kawdog; 09-12-2015 at 07:14 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcintst View Post
I'd start with steering angles. Have the fork tubes on the old one been raised in the triple tree? Has sag been set on the old one. How about on the new one? If that stuff is the same I'd expect handling to be pretty similar. Oh, and tires. Have the tires on the old one been changed to better ones? Do they still come with the D221 Sportmax tires most of us didn't love?

As far as the shock, remote preload seems a little silly to me on these bikes that are among the easiest to set preload on. At least for 1-up riding; remote preload adjust does make some sense to me for 2-up.

OTOH the old shock wasn't very good, and if the new one is better I don't care if they give up the only damping control.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
As far as the shock, remote preload seems a little silly to me on these bikes that are among the easiest to set preload on.
I thought so as well until I started using it. Found myself riding into the night once with a heavy top case, cars started flashing at me because I was blinding them, I turned that knob once or twice to bring the rear up a bit while riding and all was well again. It's actually easy to reach and adjust even on the move.

The comfort of being able to set the bike up for riding with/without a top case without taking the tools out and getting your hands dirty is one of those things you don't appreciate until you try it

Another thing that might make one feel the old Versys handled better is the new position of the pegs. The new one has them moved lower and more to the front, which may feel less sporty and more comfy.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The 09 handle better than the latest models-IMHO.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
...Oh, and tires. Have the tires on the old one been changed to better ones? Do they still come with the D221 Sportmax tires most of us didn't love?...
My '15 650LT has Dunlop SportMax 222 tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
The 09 handle better than the latest models-IMHO.
Respectfully, I DISAGREE w/ you.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My '15 650LT has Dunlop SportMax 222 tires.
They're still garbage. I've changed mine after the first 4000 km, they never had any grip on anything but perfect, warm, dry asphalt (and even then they weren't that stable) and by that mileage they were completely worn out. I've made over 11 000 km since then on Michelin PR4s and they're leagues above the Dunlops.

Maybe the store-bought Dunlops are okay, the OEM ones are crap. I hear they're a cheap single compound version of the actual Roadsmart 2s and aren't indicative of Dunlop's real quality, just a low-cost rubber to have something to sell the bikes on.

2015 Versys 650
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

I run whatever the bike comes w/ till they're worn out, then change to something else. Right now my '08 is wearing knobbies (w/ Tourance tires waiting 'in the wings'), while a Tourance rear is standing by for the '15. BTW - here's what my Dunlop rear looks like at about 7,000 kms. NOT much chicken-strip on there.

- -

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-15-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode