Howdy all you lucky owners...... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Howdy all you lucky owners......

I have dreamed of the Versys since I read about it being in Europe. I am not lucky enough to have it yet however. I am glad for all of you though. My wife thinks I will die if I get one.
I am retired U.S. Navy Submarines. I did just under 22 years of being a Bubblehead. I loved it as much as you all love to live motorcycles. I am not a know it all. I am usually quiet and reserved. I do not fight well. I am not a muscle dude nor am I too weak. I do not judge people, not my job. I only want to make friends not enemies. I will never be the fastest nor the most 'stunting' guy at the races. I do not do wheelies.
I just like to ride, and I like others who like to ride. I am not a mechanic though. I just ride. Maybe if I get a Versys I can ride and learn to wrench it some myself with all of you folks guiding me about what to do next.
If I ever convince the wife I will be one of the lucky ones too. I will not lose her over another motorcycle though. I will have the Versys, it just takes time and I will have to save money too. The Navy does not exactly pay us veterans very much for all we did. Not much at all.
Thanks if your kind. No thanks if you are not. I hope I have introduced myself well enough. One more thing, I never quote Shakespeare. Hahahaha
Thanks for having me I look forward to learning from all of you. I am leaning toward a red one for visibility but will wait to see if 09 has any different colors. I want a top case with saddle bags so I can go camping. I will tie my tent on with my oxygen bottles.
Joe W. Watson
Joebob

Last edited by Joebob; 07-28-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 08:02 AM

First off, Welcome:

Next, couple of questions:
1. Is this your manifesto?
2. You mention you don't want to lose your wife to 'another' motorcycle - was there a wife or motorcycle situation before?
3. What's the deal with oxygen bottles? Are you on oxygen for a lung condition?

On convincing your wife whether you should ride or not - you'll have to get deep and personal about it. But, the good thing is that many of us riders on this forum are ATGATT - meaning All the Gear, All the Time. Look for a posting on this forum called "What do you Wear". Tell your wife that you'll wear the jacket, pants, gloves, full face helmet and boots all the time. Next, ensure her that you'll take the training and convince her to take it as well. She'll then learn that you can mitigate a lot of the risks by proper gear and proper training. Then take it all slowly - plenty of parking lot practice. Have your wife follow you in the car - my spouse did that for me while I was learning. My spouse is not crazy about me riding but he's slowly getting used to the idea (after almost three years) and he's even riding on the back as well.

Make the commitment to safety, share it with your wife and take it easy.

Oh and read David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling as well - it may save your life.

Finally, enjoy!

(I'm also a veteran but served only 4 years in the Air Force from 1987 to 1991)

Last edited by Ocean; 07-29-2008 at 08:05 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
To the site and let us know when you get your ride. Steady as she goes....you will get there!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

No, it is not my manifesto.....

Just wanted to introduce myself properly and let a few future friends know what I am about. No, this is not my manifesto, I was just trying to be polite.

As for my wife. Dianne is my best friend. We have been married for 33 years now. Try that in todays world. I will never choose a bike over her. Never. She is a very protective wife that is all. I will get the bike, I just need time. She knows I will get it also. She just has to try and save me from myself. Hahaha

As for riding, been doing it all of my life without killing myself yet. Streetbikes, dirbikes and ATV's. I have wrecked a few of them. Never been hospitalized. I just do not wrench on them. I take them to someone who is an expert in maintainence. That way I keep living and the bikes keep running correctly.
I am 53 years young and that is the crux of the situation. I seem to never grow old. I do not sit and watch tv all day, I like to be out doing things.
The oxygen bottles are due to no lungs left. I sleep on a machine that breaths for me because I have no lungs left. When I am awake I attach the bottles to whatever my ride may be. Oxygen is my friend.

I really just want some more new friends. I have plenty but when I found this forum I thought I would make some more. I welcome the questions and if I have answered them all maybe we can move on now. Let's get back to talking bikes and not my life please. The bikes are way more interesting believe me. Enough on the introductions please. Manifesto indeed....hahahaha
I am just an average guy trying to live an average life.
Thanks for asking though.
Respectfully,
Joebob
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
I have dreamed of the Versys since I read about it being in Europe. I am not lucky enough to have it yet however. I am glad for all of you though. My wife thinks I will die if I get one.
I am retired U.S. Navy Submarines. I did just under 22 years of being a Bubblehead. I loved it as much as you all love to live motorcycles. I am not a know it all. I am usually quiet and reserved. I do not fight well. I am not a muscle dude nor am I too weak. I do not judge people, not my job. I only want to make friends not enemies. I will never be the fastest nor the most 'stunting' guy at the races. I do not do wheelies.
I just like to ride, and I like others who like to ride. I am not a mechanic though. I just ride. Maybe if I get a Versys I can ride and learn to wrench it some myself with all of you folks guiding me about what to do next.
If I ever convince the wife I will be one of the lucky ones too. I will not lose her over another motorcycle though. I will have the Versys, it just takes time and I will have to save money too. The Navy does not exactly pay us veterans very much for all we did. Not much at all.
Thanks if your kind. No thanks if you are not. I hope I have introduced myself well enough. One more thing, I never quote Shakespeare. Hahahaha
Thanks for having me I look forward to learning from all of you. I am leaning toward a red one for visibility but will wait to see if 09 has any different colors. I want a top case with saddle bags so I can go camping. I will tie my tent on with my oxygen bottles.
Joe W. Watson
Joebob

Ha!! I'll bet Jared will get a kick out of this when he see it!! He seems to have a pretty good sense of humor...

Welcome to the site Joe, good luck getting a Versys. Its a very good bike. I'm sure you've picked that up already. Many of the fellas (and ladies!) here have a lot of experience on other bikes & speak very highly of it.

Thanks for your service & congrats on retiring. I put 8 years in the Air Force. If I would've stayed in, I would have retired last year with 20 years. I now work Civil Service doing pretty much the same job, but with better pay, better hours, & less BS.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 05:01 PM

I hear your pain of convincing the "Commander in Chief" before getting the Versys. I'm also a 12 yr USAF vet. Welcome to the community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 07:23 PM

Here is one of my mottos...

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

In other words, just bring it home one day. You may get the silent treatment (or the very UNsilent treatment); but, like all things, that will pass.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:03 PM

Joebob,

You may already have discovered this, but if not, you should be aware that you cannot use both the saddlebags and topcase together. This quote (under a picture of the topcase) is toward the end of a Q & A feature on the Kawi website: "The 7.6-gal Top Case, which will fit most helmets. It also requires a mount and cannot be used in
conjunction with saddlebags."
I've attached the whole piece.

Best of luck. Keep your spokes vertical.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf versys_QandA.pdf (568.4 KB, 56 views)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
Joe W. Watson
Joebob

From one bubblehead to another, welcome!

I myself served aboard a couple of fast boats out of Groton as one of those dirty A-gangers. Then Navy sent me first to fix the subs in Groton, which I did for about a year, and then they saw fit to commission me .

Glad to hear you're looking into the Versys. In spite of her one shortcoming (the seat) it's a good bike and it will serve you well.

If I may, point your mouse over to a thread I posted a little while back about riding safely and how to walk away from a crash intact:
http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/showthread.php?t=969

Again, welcome! I'm glad to see a fellow submariner on the board.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motowill View Post
Joebob,

You may already have discovered this, but if not, you should be aware that you cannot use both the saddlebags and topcase together. This quote (under a picture of the topcase) is toward the end of a Q & A feature on the Kawi website: "The 7.6-gal Top Case, which will fit most helmets. It also requires a mount and cannot be used in
conjunction with saddlebags."
I've attached the whole piece.

Best of luck. Keep your spokes vertical.
That is why you have to get the GIVI racks. With GIVI you can use both and you keep the stock passenger grab rails.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:17 AM

Well welcome from an old retired Army guy in Dallas. I just bought my V last week and am having a ball doing things to it as well as riding it. I was very surprised at what this bike will do.

Take care my friend and come up for air once in a while.

Don

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode