Hello from Maryland - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Maryland

Currently without a ride but close to deciding on a couple of 2015 650 LTs for me and my girlfriend. I started out looking at the Honda NC700X but quickly shifted my attention to the Versys and V-Strom.

One sticking point at the moment is that we can't seem to find a dealer that gives test rides and we're both a little leery of buying bikes that we've never ridden. We're interested in distance riding and are looking for comfort. We're both 6' tall. I have a 32" inseam and she has 34". We want to make sure that this is the right bike for a long ride. I'd love to hear from you all what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, Versys is a tall bike so presume it would suit you, in 2009 I test rode a vstrom and versys and found the versys far better in twisty corner riding and thought it was a lot more nimble than the vstrom.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 08:22 AM

Welcome to the forum. I have a 09 Versys and my brother had a V strom, Both bikes will be good for tall riders. I think both bikes have a lot of aftermarket stuff available so you can make it fit you personally. In my opinion neither bike is comfortable off the showroom floor. Most people taking trips will at least change the seat, especially on the Versys. The biggest difference between the Versys and the V strom is the V strom is set up for some off road and the versys handles better on pavement with its 17 inch radials front and back. all depends on were your trips take you. I don't know what part of Maryland you are from but if you want to sit on mine with different seats let me know I live in Hanover PA only 6 miles from MD line near Westminster.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transfixer View Post
Welcome to the forum. I have a 09 Versys and my brother had a V strom, Both bikes will be good for tall riders. I think both bikes have a lot of aftermarket stuff available so you can make it fit you personally. In my opinion neither bike is comfortable off the showroom floor. Most people taking trips will at least change the seat, especially on the Versys. The biggest difference between the Versys and the V strom is the V strom is set up for some off road and the versys handles better on pavement with its 17 inch radials front and back. all depends on were your trips take you. I don't know what part of Maryland you are from but if you want to sit on mine with different seats let me know I live in Hanover PA only 6 miles from MD line near Westminster.
I was also looking at the Wee but I think the Versys will suit me better because it seems like it will be more responsive. I'm not apt to be riding off road very often. Along with wanting to do distance rides, we also do a lot of riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway and in West Virginia.

I should add that we're both riding Vespas - which we'll keep because they're so damned much fun - so a bike that's relatively nimble is important. While I don't expect the Versys to be as flickable as my scooter, it seems like it should handle well in the twisties and also be the reliable long distance ride that we want.

Last edited by scutrbrau; 09-05-2015 at 08:50 AM. Reason: a few more thoughts...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

The August issue of MOTORCYCLIST did a comparo of the '15 Versys 650 and the Wee Strom. They picked the Versys as the winner by a long shot. IF you haven't seen the article, PM me w/ your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 03:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scutrbrau View Post
Currently without a ride but close to deciding on a couple of 2015 650 LTs for me and my girlfriend. I started out looking at the Honda NC700X but quickly shifted my attention to the Versys and V-Strom.

One sticking point at the moment is that we can't seem to find a dealer that gives test rides and we're both a little leery of buying bikes that we've never ridden. We're interested in distance riding and are looking for comfort. We're both 6' tall. I have a 32" inseam and she has 34". We want to make sure that this is the right bike for a long ride. I'd love to hear from you all what you think.
I'd look at the Versys 1000
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
I'd look at the Versys 1000
They're riding solo. The V1k is probably overkill, especially in West Virginia. There isn't a straight road in the state.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 06:49 PM

Since you're both riding solo, V 650. They'd be way more fun than the V Strom.

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scutrbrau View Post

I'm a Baltimore 2009 Versys rider -- daily commuter and occasional tourer -- and I know the V is the more fun daily ride of the three.

It is a vibey twin; but I've heard the 2015 has done quite a lot to reduce this. For what it's worth, my wife has Raynauds Syndrome which makes her very sensitive to vibration (it's uncomfortable using a weed whacked or a power sander, for instance), but does fine on the back of the 650.

I'd seen a 650 V ascending the park road at Mt St Helens last year, and spotted em here and there touring nationally. Although I occasionally crave a ride with slightly more get-up-and-go when riding 2 up, I haven't wanted to give up the crisp, sporty handling or flickability of the smaller V just yet -- put a wee V in a nice fast corner and you'll see what I mean. I have heard the Papa V chews through highway miles, though (something the small V isn't great at), and I have also been tempted by the Ninja 1000, which has the same engine. Also the new hard bags for all three of the Kaws I just mentioned are a big selling point from where I'm sitting.

Good luck! Love to see another V riding around MD.

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode