What do you take on a trip - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bultacofan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What do you take on a trip

Ok every one, what besides the usual camping and personal items would you take for emergency repair for the motorcycle?
More tools than the manufacturer's supplied tools? tire repair kit? etc.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 10:38 AM

Along with factory tool kit... I carry a greatly expanded tool kit including tire puncture kit and compressor specifically designed for small size: Versys Tools - Album on Imgur

Besides tools... Zip Ties of different sizes, JB Weld, safety wire, duct tape, locktite, WD-40, good small flashlight, a good length of parachute cord, decent set of tie down straps...

I also pre positioned a spare clutch cable along my normal clutch cable... ends protected... so if my cable breaks, I can hook up spare with minimum amount of trouble.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 10:48 AM

Credit card, cell phone.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Along with factory tool kit... I carry a greatly expanded tool kit including tire puncture kit and compressor specifically designed for small size: Versys Tools - Album on Imgur

Besides tools... Zip Ties of different sizes, JB Weld, safety wire, duct tape, locktite, WD-40, good small flashlight, a good length of parachute cord, decent set of tie down straps...

I also pre positioned a spare clutch cable along my normal clutch cable... ends protected... so if my cable breaks, I can hook up spare with minimum amount of trouble.
Thanks genehil, that's the kind of list that i'm talking about.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
Ok every one, what besides the usual camping and personal items would you take for emergency repair for the motorcycle?
More tools than the manufacturer's supplied tools? tire repair kit? etc.........
Tire repair kit & a 12v compressor, and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post

MOST of what Genehil carries including a cut-down crutch for when I "WD40" my chain OFTEN, PLUS on my recent D2D ride I carried a hammer (FIRST time ever) because I knew that the Dawson campground I hoped to stay at (and DID!) was mostly gravel, and you need "ardox" nails and a hammer to get tents tied down. Turned out that, after my crash just S of Inuvik, I was able to "gently persuade" my aluminum panniers (BADLY dented in the crash) back to resembling normal, so they'd stay ON for my ride home (about 3,600 kms). For tie-downs I recommend ROX straps, and I carry extras in my back-pack.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply fasteddycopeman, I read your trip report D2D 2015 that was AWSOME in every way, great pictures and story line.
Sorry about the crash, at least the damages were things that you could fix and continue, and not catastrophic injury to your body.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
Thanks for the reply fasteddycopeman, I read your trip report D2D 2015 that was AWSOME in every way, great pictures and story line.
Sorry about the crash, at least the damages were things that you could fix and continue, and not catastrophic injury to your body.
You're welcome, and I still am "in wonder" that I didn't get a scratch or even a small bruise in THAT adventure....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Zip ties and duct tape.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:55 PM

Is a Ruger considered a "personal" item ?
Markie Motard likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultacofan View Post
Is a Ruger considered a "personal" item ?
NOT if you're coming to Canada. Customs takes that VERY seriously!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode