New Member looking at 2009 Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Member looking at 2009 Versys

Hi all,

I'm a new member of forum and while not an actual owner, I am going to look at a 2009 used Versys w/ 5.6K miles on it.

I've been riding for 30+ yrs (mostly BMW's) and currently have a '78 R100S. I'm looking for something lightweight to commute/play on and was originally looking for a SV 650, but keep coming back to the V as more practical.

The 2009 is available local and priced very nice w/ gel seat, v-stream windscreen + new tires (un-installed). The currant owner stated that original tires are "pretty much beat". My only concern is - how does one go through the original tires in 5600 miles?

I'm guessing the guy was "big" or he rode the bike hard (or both?)

While the bike seems to be priced very good, a *new* 2014 (w/o ABS) is also available locally for about $1500 more. Then of course a new LT would be nice, but don't really want to make payments.

I'm scheduled to look at the 2009 in a few days...Is there anything to look out for as far as the bike being abused?

Reading this forum, it sounds like the Versys is pretty much bullet proof if used for the street - but if anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated!

In my area, it is a very good time to be buying a bike - lots a variety and prices are low, so I'm not even taking cash to look at this bike (it's been listed for nearly 2 months and seller is firm with price 3650 no bags / 4150 w/ color matched givi's + racks).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:04 PM

I looked at these bikes for 3 years off an on.. I traded my Uly for one and bought it home yesterday, a new leftover 14. Im in Greensboro, just up the road from you. LOVE the lightweight, but I only have a few miles on mine so far so I will hold off on any serious comments until I get seat time in!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:35 PM

Garage
The stock tires that came with the Versys in the early years were not known for having a long life. If he only rode occasionally, and did not check pressures, that could also lead to early tire death.

Other things to consider is if the PO fixed the 'lurching' or 'bucking' issue at initial takeoff. If it feels jumpy when you first get on the throttle from a stop, don't fret, just read up on the TPS fix - there are a couple of good threads on here.

If there is a loud buzz in the 3 - 4k RPM range, that is another idiosycrancy. Lots of fixes posted on here for that, so don't worry about it.

I think I'd worry more about any lack of maintenance by the PO then the overall quality of the bike - original oil? chain maintenance? things, like that.

'18 Versys V1K
'09 Versys 650

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Stock tires were crap on my 09. Pretty low miles on that bike so unless the guys tried to trash it i would doubt you find any issues...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 06:37 PM

Hey Tripp, I looked at that bike maybe a month ago and both tires are shot at 5600 miles, I had the same concern as you. He is the second owner. Other than the tires and being lowered it's a very nice bike.

I stumbled into an '08 with 1200 miles in Charlotte, Givi bags and shield, H&B engine guards and a few other small accessories for less and bought it. Tough choice between that one and a new bike. There was also another in Charlottesville about that time with Givi bags and some other stuff. Good luck.

Jeff
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 09:24 AM

Like others have said - about 6,000 mile life is normal for the stock V 650 tires. The quality of the stock tires is not the best either. PR 4's are a huge improvement.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info! That's a relief to hear that the tires show more of less normal wear.

Yeah, I plan to take a good look at the chain since it should offer a glimpse of the bikes history.

Jethro - thanks for the heads up, it's good to hear someone on this forum has seen this one. At first I thought someone would be all over this bike, but then I started looking at it's competition (FZ, V-strom etc.) and realized this segment of the market has really grown over the past 5 years or so...3-4K can get you a lot of bike!

Jmason - excellent info...exactly what I need. Thanks.

PS - The ad said that the "lowering" is easily reversible. Wonder if that's switch out the gel seat for stock*easy* or 1 hour / 2 beer easy? Certainly not a deal breaker either way. I'm used to riding tall bikes but who knows, maybe i'll prefer it lowered.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 10:39 PM

Welcome! I actually went to Williams High in Burlington and have several family members still in and around the area (out in the country - Snow Camp & Liberty).

I have a 2009 I bought about 2 1/2 years ago with 8500 miles on it. Love it and have roughly doubled the miles. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the buzzing from the fairings that I can only seem to fix temporarily. My speedo buzzes a little, but it's not a big deal. I love everything else about it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 09:00 AM

Garage
Hey Tripp. I have an '09 model, also with an after market seat and the VStream screen (which is great IMO) but my bike has about 10 times the milage as the one you're looking at.

I have replaced:
- the battery, sprockets, clutch cable: once (clutch cable was out of over precaution, it was actually fine)
- the spark plugs, chain: twice
- the tires: 3 times and the stockers lasted about 12,000kms

Complaints: zero

Always trust your cape.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 03:37 PM

Garage
I picked up an '09 approx two months ago with similar mileage, at just under 6200 miles. The front tire had just been replaced, and the rear had a little life left but was getting close to the wear bars. Even though it had tread left I soon realized it was scary greasy feeling, so I swapped it out to match the new front. The stock tires are not very good. It's a shame, Dunlop did themselves a dis-service supplying those crummy tires, because I suspect the stockers turn people off to the brand altogether, and they make some nice tires.

Anyway, having just bought one, I would say there's a reason it's been for sale for 2 months. It's not really priced to sell fast in my opinion. While not a bad deal, I wouldn't say it's a great deal. The used MC market is such a buyers market right now, which stinks considering I have a bike to sell. I'd say if it's in good shape, his price without the luggage should be the price with luggage/racks if he really wants to move it.

I've put a couple thousand miles on mine so far, and it's really a fun bike. Engine is really nice, transmission is geared nicely, Upright position is all day comfortable (except for the seat) and the whole package is just really a lot if fun. I was afraid it might feel underpowered, but it doesn't. It's light and the engine has a super usable power-band so it feels quicker than I ever expected.

As for the lowering, if it's the shock lowering kit, it's not hard, but will probably take an hour plus to "undo". If that's what it is, make sure you get the orig sidestand also, once lowered you need a shorter stand. I just lowered mine last night and was amazed at how nice the handling felt lowered upon testing it today. I only did it because I was really tip toed on it (30" inseam), and it was just getting old not being able to back up from parking spots, and side saddling at lights. With a new seat on the way that will put me even higher, I gave in and lowered it. I'm still not flat foot, but much more comfortable at a stop. The surprise was that the handling feels noticeably better to me. I guess its just the lowered center of gravity I'm feeling, but I would say give it a shot first before reversing if you get it, especially if your not running offroad..

Good luck

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE - I looked at the bike last week and really liked it overall. Since this was the 1st time I had seen a Versys in person, I was surprised at the size - a bit larger than I expected.

I noticed both the forks and the shock are lowered - the fork had a "line" designating the original position and looked to be 1 1/2" or so lower. The mono shock appeared to be simply repositioned via an extra mounting hole (not sure about this, but looked pretty simple). I'm not sure how this affects suspension pre-load. I would assume the forks are a bit stiffer since they are compressed, as for the rear, IDK. The original kickstand had been cut down and I would need to get a new one to reverse lowering. With that said, the height felt fine to me - I could almost touch my heels to the ground (not quite). I guess I would need to ride the bike to know for sure how the handling feels and to compare the lower vs std height, I would need a new kick stand.

Tires were toast but seller has a new set of Dunlop II's (roadmax?). In my area shops charge about $50 per tire to mount. The chain was decent, but not like new - maybe another 5-7K left. To me the stock seat was just as comfortable as the accessory gel seat included, but this was just sitting on the bike - after a 100 miles or so the gel would likely be an improvement IDK

The bike was very clean and in great shape otherwise and I feel it is perfect for my needs.

All things considered ($100 for tires, say $100 for a new kickstand) the price for me as a buyer seems high. I can get a new 2014 for $1200? more and for a few hundred more, ABS. If not for the discounted dealer inventory I would say the bike is a bargain at asking price.

My plan is to wait and see if seller drops price, meanwhile continue to save all I can in hopes that local dealers drop price again on 2014 (or at least not sell out until I get another 1 k saved).

PS - most people I show pics to say it is the ugliest bike they've seen. To me the older gen's are uniquely ugly, whereas the 2015 is generically ugly along with a host of other "new" bikes -why must they look like insects? At least the older ones have some curves...but as I learned w/ a GS12 - the only view that matters is over the handlebars.

kAWDAWG - WHS Class of '85 here HaHa
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:03 AM

After 7 years of riding - lowered my V - and it handles better than the stock height. I bought a shorter Ninja kickstand on ebay for $20 delivered, so maybe a V kickstand won't cost much more.

I hear you on the insect look.

It has been said that the 1st gen V looks like "Alf". Which I am ok with. At least it's not as ugly as a V Strom.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:40 AM

I've got a stock kickstand takeoff if you end up needing it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
...My only concern is - how does one go through the original tires in 5600 miles?...
Just by riding it!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
UPDATE - I looked at the bike last week and really liked it overall. Since this was the 1st time I had seen a Versys in person, I was surprised at the size - a bit larger than I expected.

I noticed both the forks and the shock are lowered - the fork had a "line" designating the original position and looked to be 1 1/2" or so lower. The mono shock appeared to be simply repositioned via an extra mounting hole (not sure about this, but looked pretty simple). I'm not sure how this affects suspension pre-load. I would assume the forks are a bit stiffer since they are compressed, as for the rear, IDK. The original kickstand had been cut down and I would need to get a new one to reverse lowering. With that said, the height felt fine to me - I could almost touch my heels to the ground (not quite). I guess I would need to ride the bike to know for sure how the handling feels and to compare the lower vs std height, I would need a new kick stand.

Tires were toast but seller has a new set of Dunlop II's (roadmax?). In my area shops charge about $50 per tire to mount. The chain was decent, but not like new - maybe another 5-7K left. To me the stock seat was just as comfortable as the accessory gel seat included, but this was just sitting on the bike - after a 100 miles or so the gel would likely be an improvement IDK

The bike was very clean and in great shape otherwise and I feel it is perfect for my needs.

All things considered ($100 for tires, say $100 for a new kickstand) the price for me as a buyer seems high. I can get a new 2014 for $1200? more and for a few hundred more, ABS. If not for the discounted dealer inventory I would say the bike is a bargain at asking price.

My plan is to wait and see if seller drops price, meanwhile continue to save all I can in hopes that local dealers drop price again on 2014 (or at least not sell out until I get another 1 k saved).

PS - most people I show pics to say it is the ugliest bike they've seen. To me the older gen's are uniquely ugly, whereas the 2015 is generically ugly along with a host of other "new" bikes -why must they look like insects? At least the older ones have some curves...but as I learned w/ a GS12 - the only view that matters is over the handlebars.

kAWDAWG - WHS Class of '85 here HaHa
I think waiting is a great plan. Personally, I shy away from used bikes that have been dicked with because I don't know what else the owner did that he's not telling you about.

If you can scrape up the money for a discounted "14, scrape up some more for ABS. It's well worth the price.

Oh ya and

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode