Newbie from over the pond - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Newbie from over the pond

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself - I'm Phil from Belfast, Northern Ireland and I have just bought a 2008 (Blue) Versys at the start of July. Got the Vario high screen and a set of hard panniers fitted before I picked it up.

I'm breaking it in for the first 500 miles at around 4,000rpm which gives about 55mph. So far I've clocked up almost 400 miles - so not long to go!

I don't have to use the 'bike for work so I can use it on dry days (not that we get many of those over here).

Before buying the V I read a lot of reviews / reports and was surprised that no-one had anything bad to say about it. I sold my 2004 Yamaha Fazer FZ6S back to the dealer I bought it from in November '06 and bought the V from him. Well pleased so far - it's a more relaxed riding position than the Fazer and therefore more comfortable. Hoping to put up many dry trouble-free miles as I've owned 'bikes (with a few breaks) for over 34 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 04:58 PM

Great to have you here. Always wanted to visit your neck of the woods. I have been riding for over 45 years and the V makes me like more every day. Keep the rubber side down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:59 PM

Glad to have you aboard. Spent a couple weeks in Southern Ireland last August, beautiful Country, much like it is here in Oregon, expect, our buildings aren't CENTURIES OLD!!!! Would love to take a BIKE TOUR over there someday, maybe when the Dollar is worth something!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 PM

Welcome and be sure to show off your new V when you get a chance.

I've been caught in the rain about 5 or 6 times and I think the V does pretty good.

Cheers and Enjoy the ride!

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 11:58 PM

Sweet, interested to hear you comparison a well. I stepped off an FZ1 to the V.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 AM

Welcome aboard Philmac. How do you like that seat? On an otherwise flawless bike, that may be the one "sore" spot. Theres links on this site for seat mods. Happy riding. http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/showthread.php?t=849

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Many thanks for the welcome folks.

Good to see that bikers still stick together - still get the 'nod' or headlight flash / wave when other bikes pass.

I've no complaints about the seat - my only gripe is the distance it is from the ground! At 5' 8" I can get both feet on the ground (but not flat on the ground) so I have reduced the pre-load on the back shock from the standard setting at position 5 down to 2 which has helped and doesn't have any adverse affect on the handling.

Once I've sussed out the adjustments to the front forks, I'll back off the pre-load again and see if that helps (nearly there).

On a comparison with the Fazer, the Fazer was quicker (and begged to be ridden quicker - one of the reasons I changed) but somehow I felt it was more intimidating. The V is a more relaxed ride and certainly a more upright riding position which I find more comfortable. From the first evening I brought it out of the dealers I felt right at home on it - bit like putting on your favourite slippers (or is that an old man's ambition?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode