Can I over ride my Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By Süsser Tod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can I over ride my Versys?

I leave up the coast of California to Big Sur tomorrow, than I plan on riding my 650 from San Diego to Canada in a few weeks, am I crazy?

~ Keep the shiny side up, rubber side down ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 12:08 PM

Nope. This is perfectly normal. haha

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 12:23 PM

Garage
There are definitely things that you can do to make the Versys more comfortable for longer multiple day rides, but mechanically, it's good to go as long as you have kept up on regular maintenance, just bring some chain lube with.

There are lots of guys and gals on here that have taken big trips on their Versys. I'm getting ready for a 16 day cross country trip.

Mods to the bike include windscreen, shimmed air-hawk seat, bags, etc.

Have fun and ride safe.

Mitch

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 02:41 PM

Garage
Yes you can override it, usually ends in sliding along the pavement. ..

But this happens with any bike. And 99.99% of the time it is the riders fault. You can't go into a turn at to high a speed, then slam on the brakes and be shocked if you lock it up.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 03:02 PM

I have done at least 1 trip every month this summer thru out California

All have been weekend trips
Mostly in the national forest free camping

1st was to Yosemite , Friend had never seen it. We camped out on 395 in the national forest on the east side of the sierras

2nd was in the north eastern california.

3rd was in fort bragg by the ocean at a private camp ground. It was nice to have a warm shower. but the cost was too much for the camping site for tents $15 per person
but since it was on short notice Thats what I get. But it did pay off as our neighbors had just caught there limit of abalone. They gave me and a friend some. Great dinner that night

Last edited by Motojunkee; 08-13-2015 at 04:07 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I did a 7,000 mile ride on mine in 2012 ending at 15,000 miles. Got an oil change on the road. Adjusted the chain. Lubed it every night and by the time I got home 1/2 my O rings were gone.

I did put new tires on for the trip and they lasted no problem.

I've done 800 mile days (non-interstate) on my bike with my flat seat and could have kept going but I don't ride after dark away from home.

I've done Los Angeles to Monterey and back on a KLX250S, and Jacksonville to El Paso on a Concours 1400, so I don't know much about overriding a bike.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 08:34 PM

Took a DRZ400SM from LA to Jasper and back. 6,000 mile trip. 34 hp of sheer madness! I didn't consider it overriding

Have done many trips on the Versys. Usually 500 miles per day or so of non-interstate. No problems. Even had to kill Bambi in Oregon and a few zip ties later we were on our way. Versys 1, giant rat 0.

Enjoy the ride!

Look at me!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
After getting approx 500 miles on the clock, I left St. Louis and made my way to Fargo, ND then east thru half of Minnesota and then back south again to Missouri.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this bike.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:47 PM

Garage
I did 8000 km in May last year all I did was lube the chain
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Angkor Wat-Cambodia.

Malaysian-Thailand-Cambodia. The versys never missed a beat- 10,000km tour.
Jim Nazium likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:02 AM

Garage
I rode mine in a big loop from Ontario Canada to Colorado/Wyoming/South Dakota. That was over 7,500 kms in 12 days. I don't think you can over ride it, as long as you like being on a tour, the V will tour with you.

Always trust your cape.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 10:02 AM

There is no such thing as "over riding" a bike, the bike can continue riding as long as it has fuel. It's you that will limit how far you'll be able to go on the bike.

For long trips just keep in mind:

- Tires. They don't last very long and being in a town you don't know in desperate need of a tire is not a good idea. The 160 rear tire is not as common as the 180/190 tires, there won't be a lot of options to chose from. You are also going to have to get them changed, at whatever rate they want to charge you for.

- Maintenance. I rather do an early service than waste a day waiting for the bike to be serviced.

- Chain lube. When touring you'll basically have to lube the chain every day. If you don't it will stretch faster. This is specially important if it rains. WD-40 it every day, or if you are one of the people that believe in chain lubricants, Maxima Chain Wax.

- Weather. Touring is not a Sunday ride, when you don't go very far from home, several days in several different states at different altitudes... Different weather. Be prepared. I've gone from 30°C to snowfall in just a couple days... I was expecting hot weather and got caught by one of the last winter storms, it was terrible as I was wearing mesh gear!

- Tracking. You can get a spot tracker or something like that, but there are several apps for smartphones that will keep track of your position. This is for your safety and peace of mind for your loved ones.
Jim Nazium likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 01:30 PM

Chains don't stretch, they wear.

Look at me!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Have you read the manual?

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizylekk View Post
I leave up the coast of California to Big Sur tomorrow, than I plan on riding my 650 from San Diego to Canada in a few weeks, am I crazy?
Nope.

Quote:
Agreed, but "stretch" has been the accepted term for the chain 'wearing' as it gets longer....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
If I had said "the chain will crap out" would you argue that chains do not go poopy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode