New member from Georgia - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New member from Georgia

I decided to wait until today to make my first post because I took the BRC this weekend. Yes, I passed very nicely and I enjoyed the course even though it was totally miserable weather. 100+ degrees both days with 70%+ humidity. I'm over my first hump and now I'm looking for my first street bike. I've ridden dirt bikes in the past, but I'm ready to move out on the street. I have been looking at the Versys and the V-Strom. I really like these 2 bikes. I talked to both of my BRC coaches this weekend and just described the type of riding that I would do and what style of motorcycle I liked without naming a bike. Both of my coaches recommended the V-Strom 650 without hesitation. I then asked about the Versys. Both said that the Versys woould also be a good choice. I wanted to wait until I had the BRC and get an unbiased evaluation of my riding abilities before I jumped on a Versys. Now I'm in the hunt for a Versys. I will be riding mostly streets and making a long (120 mi round trip) commute, but I live in a rural area and I have 1 mi of dirt road to ride on to my home. My coaches said the Versys or V-strom would be fine on the dirt. It's not just a trail, a maintained road. I'm trying to arrange the funds and then it's off on the hunt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 12:46 AM

The deal maker or breaker on the Versys could be the seat height. How tall are you? If this is your first bike, the tall stature of the Versys could be difficult for you. Although the bike can be lowered.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:51 AM

I have a 30" inseam, and at stock height I could not flat foot the bike, but the balls of both feet were securely planted on the ground. With the lowering kit I installed (and front fork drop at the same time) I can now flat foot with both feet.

If I were you I would try to sit on both and see how comfortable you are. If you are coming from riding dirt bikes in the past, I think you would be very comfortable on the Versys.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Help, I can't decide what to buy

Sorry it took so long to respond back. I've been working. I went by a bike shop last week and they had a Versys in stock. They were a little proud of it at $8000 OTD. But, I sat on it for a while and walked it around in the showroom. It's not too tall for me. I can comfortably move the bike around, even back it up. But while I was there, the salesman talked me into getting on a KLR 650. I thought that the KLR would be way too tall for me. If anything, it fits better than the Versys. I could maneuver the KLR around as well as the Versys. Now I'm in a diliema, should I get a Versys or a KLR. If I get a KLR, I would do a lot more dirt riding than I was intending to, I live in the country and we had plenty of dirt roads and trails that I could ride. Also, I had another dealer give me a quote of 5700 OTD on a KLR. Plus, insurance on the KLR is WAY cheaper. But, I do love the Versys and it would be better on the street than a KLR. I can't afford both right now, I wish I could.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 08:47 PM

Just a few things you can consider between the two bikes.

The KLR:
Will do better (understatement) off-road and on rough surfaces
There's a lot of aftermarket stuff available for the KLR
It will hold up better to being dropped (make no mistake, you _will_ drop your bike a couple times when you're getting started)
Very light and maneuverable
Probably not so good for highway/high-speed riding for any length of time

The Versys:
Much more road-oriented and good for longer-distance or highway rides and ripping through corners
Better weather protection
Handles luggage and a passenger well

They are both great bikes. However, if you're on-the-fence and love both bikes, I would recommend the KLR. I think you'll benefit from the off-road and loose surface capabilities while getting started riding. As a novice, you'll want to get your feet wet with a bike that's going to hold up to some "abuse". (That's why a lot of people will recommend getting a used bike as your first).

(I'm making the assumption that you're primary riding is going to be local roads and just blasting around for a while. When you get your wings after a season or two, you may decide you still want the Versys and can trade/sell the KLR then and probably get a better color selection then anyway)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

If I was only intending to ride local roads, I wouldn't think twice about the Versys. It wouold be a no-brainer to get a KLR. But, I intend to use the bike as a daily commuter to work. This is a 60 mi (one way, 120 mi round trip) on highways, no freeway. That's the only reason I was considering a Versys. I realize the KLR can handle this trip okay. I'm going to things arranged this week hopefully to get a bike.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 04:49 AM

Based on your commute, I recommend the Versys. The KLR is a great bike and less expensive as you said, but it will be working harder, and wearing out faster than the V at highway speeds doing something it's good at but not as good as the V.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Talking Problem solved!!!!

My problem on which to get is solved. I'm getting a Versys tomorrow. See my post in the General Forum above!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br6ppc View Post
My problem on which to get is solved. I'm getting a Versys tomorrow. See my post in the General Forum above!!!
Good choice considering it is the Motorcyclist Magazine Bike Of The Year for 08.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode