Potential new Versys owner - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Potential new Versys owner

Hello all,

Texas rider here, currently I have a DRZ250 that I converted to get on the street. I have been having a blast playing around and out of town, however the bike is definitely lacking the ability to comfortably take me anywhere of any real distance.

I have been looking for another, more road worthy bike for the last few weeks and found that I really like the versys. I found a pretty nice deal on a 2012 with 10k miles for $4,500 and put down a deposit. The bike is about 300 miles away and will take a bit of coordination to go and get it.

I however got a call this morning from the dealer and was told that they found coolant in the oil. They said that they ordered a new head gasket and are going to fix it for me.

The crux of my question is whether or not I should run from this deal, does it imply a previous owner that didn't take care of the bike? Any other issues I should watch out for?

I was considering whether or not I should see if the dealer will offer some type of warranty on the bike given this issue. If so, can anybody advise what kind of terms I should seek?

Any insight is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I would pass on it. But thats just me......

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmonkey3 View Post
Hello all,

Texas rider here, currently I have a DRZ250 that I converted to get on the street. I have been having a blast playing around and out of town, however the bike is definitely lacking the ability to comfortably take me anywhere of any real distance.

I have been looking for another, more road worthy bike for the last few weeks and found that I really like the versys. I found a pretty nice deal on a 2012 with 10k miles for $4,500 and put down a deposit. The bike is about 300 miles away and will take a bit of coordination to go and get it.

I however got a call this morning from the dealer and was told that they found coolant in the oil. They said that they ordered a new head gasket and are going to fix it for me.

The crux of my question is whether or not I should run from this deal, does it imply a previous owner that didn't take care of the bike? Any other issues I should watch out for?

I was considering whether or not I should see if the dealer will offer some type of warranty on the bike given this issue. If so, can anybody advise what kind of terms I should seek?

Any insight is much appreciated.
Could be a gasket, could be a cracked block. Either way, who knows how long coolant has been lubricating the engine. I'm with Weljo on this one.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 04:55 PM

I too say pass...

http://www.cycletrader.com/search-re...%3Aasc&page=3&

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Agree. I'd pass as well. There are other good deals in Texas. Check the major city Craig lists - DFW, Houston, San Antonio.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 08:25 PM

Garage
Pass, 10,000 miles and it has a coolant leak into the motor? Something major wrong with it. At least the dealer seems to be doing the right thing.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome and I would pass to.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Pass. My '09 was just written-off, but it's got a GREAT engine...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Seems to be unanimous.

I was curious though, after googling it a bit, it seems that there is a possibility of condensation building up and becoming visible in the sight glass if the bike hasn't been run long enough to warm up. (Possibly like pulling the bike out front every day at the dealership)

Is it possible that the dealer saw this and immediately thought head gasket?

Thanks for yall's input

Also, I just heard back. They are offering me a two year warranty on the bike as well as a two year warranty on wheels and tires. Still something to stay away from?

Last edited by maskedmonkey3; 07-20-2015 at 12:07 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Seems to be unanimous.

I was curious though, after googling it a bit, it seems that there is a possibility of condensation building up and becoming visible in the sight glass if the bike hasn't been run long enough to warm up. (Possibly like pulling the bike out front every day at the dealership)

Thanks for yall's input

Also, I just heard back. They are offering me a two year warranty on the bike as well as a two year warranty on wheels and tires. Still something to stay away from?

Well with a 2 year warranty including the tires also then i could change my mind for sure...If its has a condensation problem from not being warmed up then its nothing. If you get it look into a Therm-O-Bob......http://shop.watt-man.com/Thermo-Bob-...-NEWER-TBV.htm .had one on my 09 quick warm-up and kept it at a constant temperature...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 01:10 PM

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a mechanic. I don't even play one on TV.

I would still pass.

First, find the post asking people how many miles on their bikes they have. You will see insane, Gold Wing like numbers of Miles/Km's with little more than tires, cables, chain/sprockets, brake pads, and liquids. Based on the roadworthiness of these bikes, coolant in motor for any reason would make me nervous. Especially at 12K.

Even with the dealer offering a guarantee, 300 miles is material if you need something done. Heck, my dealer is 75 miles away and that's a pita.

If it were my 4500.00, there are Versys out there and available with stellar maintenance documentation and care........not that this means that you couldn't buy one and it wet the bed tomorrow.

At a far cheaper price with a 2 year motor warranty, maybe.

Finally, I tip my hat to the dealer for being as honest as the day is long. They could have quietly fixed it and the future buyer would be none the wiser.

Good luck with your decision.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 07:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Seems to be unanimous.

Thanks for yall's input

Dealers don't do work that is not needed at their own expense. If they are replacing the head gasket it is not for a bit of condensation. I suggest you can do better.
Do not get emotionally involved until AFTER you purchase
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 07:52 PM

I'm not a mechanic neither, but I did spend the night at a Holiday Inn Express, and I'd say pass too. At 10K miles, you should be getting your first full maintenance with a valve job and running the best it has or will ever run.

There is something wrong with those wheels. Back out as SOON as you can!

Good deals are everywhere, but you have the right year or plus one. Good Luck!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I will pass and why would they throw a 2 years warranty for a used unit?
2012 models have a lot of engine and valve problems down here and kawa has called back for valve replacement.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 10:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
I will pass and why would they throw a 2 years warranty for a used unit?
2012 models have a lot of engine and valve problems down here and kawa has called back for valve replacement.
Nowhere that I have read has reported this. I have a 2012 and it just had it's 1st valve check at 42,000 km and they were perfect.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 07:47 AM

Garage
I just got a 2008 with 12,000 miles for $2800. Minor scratches on the left plastics, but otherwise in great shape. Included two tank bags, saddlebags, trunk, service manual, and a rear stand - everything in the picture except the "everlast" bag. I needed to do a little maintenance when I got it home (clutch cable, fluids, etc.), but otherwise it seems to be running great.

I mention this because good/great deals are out there - take your time, watch for it.

2008 Red Kawasaki Versys - Purchased 7/12/2015
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 03:20 PM

Garage
Agree, I think its overpriced and concerning regardless of warranty. Not worth the worry, there will be another good deal out there
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 03:59 PM

Yup, Got my 2008 with about 12k miles; handguards, heated grips (need to install), Seat Concept seat, crash bars, Penske rear shock, ect... for $2,700. Bad: cheap Paint job, Old tires, old chain...

I guess the point is that $4,500 might not be an amazing deal especially with a potential engine issue.

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...

Last edited by GiantAntCowboy; 07-21-2015 at 04:02 PM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 04:47 PM

Ya I'd pass im sure you can get a better deal than that. A 650 in up here in Canada is only about $2500-3000 more than that Brand New. You can find a better deal just have to be patient. $4500 is a decent price but with this new found problem might be a a bad omen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode