New in Orlando! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New in Orlando!

Actually, I'm picking up my new Versys(09' Green) tomorrow at Seminole Power Sports in Sanford, FL. I recently sold my 07' Tiger and currently own an HD Sportster 1200 XL. After much debate on the Versys or tracking down a V-Strom, I decided to go with the Versys. So, if you're in Central Fl, feel free to drop me a line!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 03:59 PM

Welcome; enjoy the ride and be safe. :>)-
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

thanks!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 PM

Hi. What made you sell your Tiger and opt for the Versys? I'm new to the board and am currently trying to decide between an '09 Versys and an '08 Tiger. Would appreciate any insights you may have.

Thanks
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:37 PM

Let the Good Times Roll (Kawasaki Ad Slogan here).

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Rik

Welcome! you have made a moto-decision you will not regret!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
and enjoy
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
and

Safe ride.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:59 AM

I bought my bike there. FYI i got it otd for $6,400 let me know if you get a better deal. You should at least get the same deal. Also check out the ride they are getting together in N GA/NC/TN in late June. I am trying to head up there if you want to join me for a long ride.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsoup View Post
Hi. What made you sell your Tiger and opt for the Versys? I'm new to the board and am currently trying to decide between an '09 Versys and an '08 Tiger. Would appreciate any insights you may have.

Thanks
Sorry for the delay. I just realized I hadn't responded. My Tiger was a great bike with a few quirks. Let me preface this with the fact that I usually get the itch for a new bike at the 3 yr mark regardless of how unnecessary that really is(always unnecessary to my wife..). Here's a simple pros/cons breakdown on my 07' Tiger(non-ABS):

Pros:
-Great torque, pass in any gear
-Great long distance touring(did 400+ mile days comfortably
-excellent fit and finish in my opinion(paint, bodywork, fasteners, instruments, etc)
-Great selection of aftermarket parts(twisted throttle is great)
-Good stock seat
-Good wind protection on the interstate

Cons:
-BURNED OIL(a few 100 cc's every few hundred miles)-this is very common to the bike as you can research on any Tiger/Triumph forum(I did the break-in per the manual).
-Notchy gearbox. After 7k miles, my toe would still be sore after a day of riding. It missed shifts on several occasions(again fairly common)
-No oil sight window(had to pull the dipstick to check the oil-then add oil...)
-Very limited dealer support in Orlando(Daytona or St. Pete).
-Much more expensive than a Versys

All things considered, I enjoyed the Tiger. It never let me down and had a superbly smooth and powerful engine. However, I'm extremely anal about basic maintenance issues such as oil consumption. That particular issue bugged me and I didn't want to worry about carrying a quart of oil with me on long trips even though "it's within Triumph's tolerances." Frankly I found it unacceptable. I'm really enjoying my new Versys(put 200 miles on it this week). The riding geometry is very similar to the Tiger but it's much more nimble. In my opinion, it's more fun to ride as an everyday commuter than my Tiger was. The parallel twin has TONS of character and I don't miss the massive torque of the Tiger. My only complaint is the seat. The Versys seat simply slopes too far forward for me. I find it uncomfortable especially compared to the Tiger's stock seat. I'm going to replace it with a Corbin asap. I also don't like the fact that the Versys won't take a center stand. I didn't think about that before purchasing, but will be a headache when cleaning or changing the oil(wouldn't have changed my mind though...).

I think you'd like both bikes. Depends on your preference. Lot's of 2-up riding? Love lot's of horsepower? Don't mind carrying around a qt of oil? Get the Tiger. For me, I think the Versys will be a more enjoyable daily commuter with long adventure trips sprinkled in when I can. Let me know if you have any other questions- chris

09' Versys
06' Honda VFR Interceptor
Orlando, FL
Past Bikes: 07' HD Sportster 1200 XLC , 06' Triumph Tiger, 02' Yamaha FZ1, 03' Yamaha Roadstar, 02' Triumph Sprint RS, 84' Kawasaki 550 LTD
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skindoners View Post
I bought my bike there. FYI i got it otd for $6,400 let me know if you get a better deal. You should at least get the same deal. Also check out the ride they are getting together in N GA/NC/TN in late June. I am trying to head up there if you want to join me for a long ride.
Paid $6300 OTD. I told them that I saw the bike all over ebay new for $4900 and they matched it. I worked with "Chet." It was a drama-free purchase that was quite enjoyable. I looked at Cycle Sports Center on John Young Pkwy(VERY close to my house) and was totally unimpressed with their customer service. I won't go into depth, but it was abysmal. I would have bought from them, but they didn't deserve the business.

09' Versys
Orlando, FL
Past Bikes: 07' HD Sportster 1200 XLC , 06' Triumph Tiger, 02' Yamaha FZ1, 03' Yamaha Roadstar, 02' Triumph Sprint RS, 84' Kawasaki 550 LTD
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 06:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviscr5 View Post
Paid $6300 OTD. I told them that I saw the bike all over ebay new for $4900 and they matched it. I worked with "Chet." It was a drama-free purchase that was quite enjoyable. I looked at Cycle Sports Center on John Young Pkwy(VERY close to my house) and was totally unimpressed with their customer service. I won't go into depth, but it was abysmal. I would have bought from them, but they didn't deserve the business.
About what I paid for mine in Utah a couple weeks ago. Local dealer, when I asked about his $6999 starting price, in reference to matching a dealer 20 miles away starting at $4800, said, "For that price, I'd go buy it from THEM."

So I did. The dealer I walked out on was the same one who sold us my husband's zx10R and should have treated us better. So they don't get my money.

I love hearing folks get good deals on a good bike! Here's to a summer of riding!!

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Glad to hear you got the deal you want. $4800 is out there with the V. What a bargain, I love mine!

09' Versys
Orlando, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode