Hello from Arizona! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
THB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Arizona!

Good day! Just signed up. Interested in learning more about the Versys. Sold my 2007 Yamaha FZ1 a few weeks ago. I loved the looks of the bike but it just didn't do "it" for me. Rented a Suzuki DRZ400SM last weekend and had a blast. Leaning towards the SM route, but would like something that would be a little friendlier for longer rides/commutes. Read a lot of good pub about the Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
THB.

Take your time and read the threads here and decide which direction you want to lean.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Just to start you off , read the below link:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5141

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 PM

Welcome, and in case you haven't seen the motorcycle of the year 2008 review, click my signature link. BTW, I am heading to AZ tomorrow on vacation; doing the tourist traps as I have never been before. Wish I could take the Versys, but it's a family thing so I will have to make that journey "someday"!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:55 PM

Sweet man.

but my question is.... why not both?

their both great bikes. drz you got about 100 mile range and versys lookin at about 200mile range.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
THB

Well, ended buying a DRZ400SM last fall. Love it. However, I will want something with a little more punch and more comfortable for longer jaunts. Been looking at a lot of options....but guess where I'm leaning now? Haha.

How is the Versys compared to the Ninja 650R? There is a place here in town that rents the Ninja. Other than ergo's how similar is the powerplant, etc? I would really like to get some seat time before I commit to something.

Also, should I focus on 2010+ (vibration issues, etc).

Thanks again!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 AM

Welcome! Where in AZ are you?

Regarding Ninja vs Versys. I've ridden both and have done a track day on a Ninja.

The Versys suspension is superior, control, adjustability, travel, compliance, everything. The Ninja engine is a little stronger up top but the Versys has more torque in the middle of the rev range. The seating position of the Versys is more comfortable as well. A little more upright, superior handlebar position, (I found the Ninja bars had an odd angle), and a better OEM seat.

Which year? The vibe issue is rather overdone IMO. I never give it a thought. Buy the style which moves you. You will not regret it.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
I also think the Versys 'feels' bigger. That can be critical for some folks. At six one, the 650 R felt too small for me, just like the ER6N did.

My two cents..LOL

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 AM

THB,

I had a VFR and a DRZ400S, sold both and bought a leftover 09 Versys. I had a 18" front wheel built for the DRZ...before the SM model came out. A few years ago I also had a FZ1 which didn't work out for me either.

My objectives were to reduce maintenance/insurance cost (w/one bike), improve comfort, and have a highway capable dualsport that could do 10% dirt/gravel. I really didnt like riding the DRZ on the highway, it was great up to 60 mph or so, but a bit light and buzzy (for me) at higher speeds. The VFR was too beautiful to run on dirt/gravel.

I've been real impressed w/ the Versys so far; ergonomics are very good assuming your looking for a standard riding position. Handeling is better than expected, not razor sharp like a SM but flickable and yet stable at speed. The motor/trans is plenty strong and flexible for most all types of riding, quiet and smoother than expected. It's not a torque monster at 650CC but pulls nice beyond freeway speeds and is trackable at low speed. There is even decent (and upgradable) wind management.

You didnt mention 2-up...I personally wouldnt recommend the Versys for a lot of 2-up. Also, I dont think the Versys should be confused with a FJR, GS or other high-end, large, powerful touring bike. I'm sure it can run at 80 all day, but it wouldnt be my choice, on the other hand it is a LOT more fun blasting around town and in tight canyons than larger, heavier bikes.

I stressed out about getting the 2010 vibration improvements. After riding the 09 and reading that the 10s still have a bit of vibe I'm glad I got an 09. Really, no vibes to speak of especially compared to a DRZ or even the FZ1.

Tom
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
THB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Welcome! Where in AZ are you?
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffamazon View Post
At six one, the 650 R felt too small for me, just like the ER6N did.
I'm 6'3, 250...most bikes are on the small side for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttman View Post
You didnt mention 2-up...
Not even a consideration. Wife doesn't want me owning a bike, much less riding with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttman View Post
I stressed out about getting the 2010 vibration improvements. After riding the 09 and reading that the 10s still have a bit of vibe I'm glad I got an 09. Really, no vibes to speak of especially compared to a DRZ or even the FZ1.
DRZ is a hoot under 50 mph. I don't like it at all above that. My FZ1 had a "buzz" that just rattled me to the bone..literally.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:34 PM

A welcome to the forum–good luck with your purchase. If you're looking for unbiased opinions about this bike, you are definitely not in the right place. This in and of itself, should give you at least some indication of how awesome is the Versys. I have wrote mine for about a year now and absolutely love it. Like many of said, smaller bike but with a bigger bike feel. I can see people using it for long hauls as well as short day trips. I use mine on a daily basis to get back and forth from work. My daily commute is about 60 miles round trip per day. Love that gas mileage! If you're looking for a good all-around bike, this is your ticket.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
and as said you will not get a totally balanced view asking here but a test ride for you on different bikes may help you decide. Got a 3rd track training day coming up on my Versys soon and love giving the litre bikes a run for their money as the versys is such a sweet nimble bike to ride around tight twisty corners, man its just to much fun and after 18 months and 17,000km i still get the same goofy grin while riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode