New Owner, looking to go camping - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Owner, looking to go camping

Hello everyone! Just got a used 2009 versys this past month and have been enjoying the s*** out of it! Thanks to what I already found on this forum, I also have already solved the 3-5k rpm vibration issue and am looking to take it for its first big trip! I have small saddlebags that came with the bike that work great for day trips, but I am trying to figure out better ways to mount gear to the bike so I can take enough for a few days of camping. Everything is stock on it, no saddlebag or luggage rack mounts, any ideas of how to strap down a duffel bag or a rafting bag securely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Welcome aboard!

I've bungied a load to the rear seat, across the top of the saddle bags. The factory units are only rated for 11 lbs each, so you can't have much weight across the top of them, but they do provide a surface to support some weight.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Get some ROK straps, and a dry bag from Wal-Mart.

Edit: the other straps I used are called Arno Straps.

Here are some of my camping trip write-ups.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21185

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20371

Dry bags are nice. When you roll them up, clip them on the passenger grab handles for extra security. Then use the ROK straps to hold them down. The Bungee net is there to keep things organized.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 06-23-2015 at 05:04 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
when on longer trips in the past i would bungie a big milk crate to the back seat then cram it full of stuff and bungie it in and there ya go

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 09:23 AM

Yeah the trellis that supports the tail of the bike is an excellent strap point load it up and strap it down. I bungee my tail bag to it and have never had a problem.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxInsany13 View Post
... I also have already solved the 3-5k rpm vibration issue ...
How and what did you do to fix the vibration?

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Get some ROK straps, and a dry bag from Wal-Mart.

Here are some of my camping trip write-ups.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21185

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20371

Dry bags are nice. When you roll them up, clip them on the passenger grab handles for extra security. Then use the ROK straps to hold them down. The Bungee net is there to keep things organized.
+1 ROK Straps are tits!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 04:06 PM

I've been fine with my Givi V35 side cases and V46 Top case for a week's worth of riding/camping.

I've also used a dry bag with great success and very happy that I had it!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 PM

I made a simple 3/8" plywood rear rack that I strap down to the rear portion of of the seat and grab rails. I then took some 1/4" steel rod and bent it to shape and attached it to the rack. This allows me to hook on some bicycle panniers that I used to use while bicycle camping. The whole set up took an afternoon to make and cost me probably less than $20. I've done 4-5 weekend camp trips of more than a 1000 miles with no problem at all. Loaded up with the tank bag I've got tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, food and cook stove.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantAntCowboy View Post
How and what did you do to fix the vibration?

First of all, thanks everyone for the quick and really helpful responses! I've got a much better idea of what to do for loading up gear now. And the vibration issue I solved by taking off the side cowlings, the headlight cowling, and the tach cowling and putting some light foam on all the bolt/screw points with a little bit more where there was any space to jam some foam in where two parts contacted/rubbed up against each other. It was a quick fix (just seeing how well it worked) and I'll see how long it holds up!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 12:45 AM

I really love taking my Versys camping. I've only stayed in California, Oregon and Washington so far, but I look forward to every trip and ride I take...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxInsany13 View Post
Hello everyone! Just got a used 2009 versys this past month and have been enjoying the s*** out of it! Thanks to what I already found on this forum, I also have already solved the 3-5k rpm vibration issue and am looking to take it for its first big trip! I have small saddlebags that came with the bike that work great for day trips, but I am trying to figure out better ways to mount gear to the bike so I can take enough for a few days of camping. Everything is stock on it, no saddlebag or luggage rack mounts, any ideas of how to strap down a duffel bag or a rafting bag securely?
Not sure if this will work for everyone but I use a secure, lockable top box, Givi B33 for cargo and storing helmet, for every day riding and commuting. I find it's size is just right for daily commuting. It also makes a great passenger back rest. I also use a tank bag daily for the frequently accessed stuff. For the occasional camping trip I supplement this setup this Cortech Sport size soft side bags (~$100 - $150) (expandable models hold as much as hard bags) and optionally matching tail bag (get the larger model one) (~$100) that just clips to the Cortech bags, plus a cargo net (15" x 15") to strap on oversized items like a sleeping bag to the rear seat. I find side hard bags are nice but very expensive (~$1000) including mounting hardware. The issue is the side cases provide more capacity than you need on a daily basis so the $1000 price is too steep to only use them only when occasionally camping. I find the Cortech bags are a more cost effective alternative that work just as well, at least for occasional use. The large size soft bags are too big on the versys and sag into the rear wheel unless you have support brackets, the slightly smaller "sport bike" sized soft bags however fit perfectly without any hardware plus if they are expandable still hold a lot of stuff, as much as the typical hard bag. The cargo net is cheap (<$10) and stores nicely under the seat for when you occasionally need it to transport bulky items.

A cheap (on Ebay) 12V or USB accessory plug is nice to have for charging a phone or powering a GPS.

If I was to do it again about the only change I might make in this setup is to get the more expensive, higher quality and better designed aluminum SW-Motech rear rack for the top box rather than the heavy Givi one. It shaves several pounds, up high where weight is most noticeable, from the total weight as it weighs less and allows the removal of the surprisingly heavy passenger grab handles yet still functions as a grab handle.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-25-2015 at 07:00 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 11:47 AM

Hey Jax,

My wife and I have been camping across the PacNW and Canada for 6 weeks, just arrived back in Chicago. The one indispensable tool we had was this rear rack from Adventure Gear.

This rack has been roundly praised in other threads for its solid build, near flawless installation, and looks. We especially like the many slots and holes. Contact the owner, Sam, on 801.810.8181 or at [email protected]

I echo the dry sacks, ROK straps, and cargo net ideas, worked great for us!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode