New 2015 Versys owner. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New 2015 Versys owner.

Hi there,

I recently purchased a 2015 Versys. My first non-sportbike. I can also claim to have MBS (mutiple bike syndrome) and also MMS (multiple modification syndrome). I have always wanted one simply because they seemed to be more sport oriented and I just cannot get myself to buy a Multistrada, too expensive.

After about 2500 miles of mostly riding in the mountains I have very few complaints and overall like the bike a lot. It is unintimidating, predictable, has character, handles quite well and is reasonably comfortable. I rode it for 320 miles last Saturday from Asheville, NC to the Tail of the Dragon and back.

My riding style is top gear with throttle on and off keeping it just above 3500rpm to 4000rpm. So far I am getting around 65 miles to the gallon. I also own a Kawasaki 300 Ninja and that gets about the same, so quite impressive.

I do have some minor complaints, my right hand tends to go to sleep when I ride. I have added extra weights inside the bars (4.5 inch tubes filled with lead that do double duty as bolts to hold on the bar-ends) and have also installed an LSL bar that is a bit lower. I figured out the culprit is the brake lever, that still vibrates like hell and since I always cover the front brake with 2 fingers...you get the point. I will work on that issue next.

The second thing is tire wear and available cornering surface. When I first rode it on a nice twisty section I noticed that I have zero chicken strips left. Then after riding the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Cherokee I noticed that my rear tire looks like I have been riding at the track. Honestly the pace was only mildly spirited. My friend with a 650 Ninja had chicken strips about half an inch wide on his Dunlop Q3's and he was following me all the way. I checked the tire pressures and they were spot on. The front tire is just fine. I am hoping it is just the stock rear tire and will switch to a Q3's once they are toast.

I am a very pleased Versys owner and happy to join the forum.

Rassie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:44 AM
BKP

Garage
Congrats on the new bike... I'm a relatively new 2015 Versys owner as well.
I was wondering what measure you used to determine mpg. I'm getting about 54 to 55mpg pretty consistently, using Fuelly (which I've always found to be very accurate). I ride it hard, and noticed it *does* like to be wound up with a sweet spot around 6000 rpms. Can't do much of that in 6th, with normal mixed riding... Below 3000 it starts showing signs of lugging. So, I'm surprised your mileage is that good riding in top gear most of the time.

I've noticed the same thing with the rear stock tire. Looked *very* scrubbed after the first few hundred miles, and after a couple thousand, looks like it'll give me 6000 miles on the top end. And, then I'll switch to Michelin PR4s (I got about 11,000 miles on the rear tire on a previous bike, and rode that equally hard).

Anyway, best of luck with the new ride. I've yet to really hear any new Versys owner voice major complaints -- on the contrary many (experienced -- including me) riders say it's one of the, if not *the*, best all-around bike they've owned)...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 05:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassie View Post
My riding style is top gear with throttle on and off keeping it just above 3500rpm to 4000rpm. So far I am getting around 65 miles to the gallon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
I ride it hard I'm getting about 54 to 55mpg
You answered your own question.

Quote:
I noticed that my rear tire looks like I have been riding at the track.
Like this? My OEM Dunlop after a "sprited" ride

Quote:
And, then I'll switch to Michelin PR4s
Great choice PR4's are brilliant. I have had PR2's, Angel GT's and now PR4's all good tyres however I prefer the 4's. The Bridgestone T30's on the V1K I test rode are also very good and I would consider those as well. Maybe next time.

Last edited by MaverickAus; 06-16-2015 at 05:35 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 06:53 PM

Here Is what my 2015 rear tire looked like after 4032 miles on it.
I have only had this motorcycle for 9 weeks, It had 11 miles on it when I purchased it from the 1st owner

No Chicken strips on these tires

Now running the PR4's

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Like this? My OEM Dunlop after a "sprited" ride

Dayum! Is that a super soft compound or what?

To the OP, man, if you are running to the edge on 160s you are getting it. Prolly making a few sportbike guys cry...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 03:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Dayum! Is that a super soft compound or what?
OEM Dunlop on my 2012
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 03:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
Wanna compare tyres?

Pirelli Angel GT on the back of my ZRX 1200 since replaced
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 02:45 PM

The stock tyres on my 2015 V650 also looked like this after riding on some twisties. They seem to be super soft. No chicken strips here either.

They're utter rubbish on anything but dry, warm, clean tarmac. A bit of rain or early-spring temperatures and they don't stick AT ALL. After around 2500 miles I've changed them to PR4s. I thought I'd be able to sell the old ones but the rear one had so little meat left on it, it was a write-off. I managed to get some cash for the front one.

The PR4s are amazing, they stick always, under any conditions. There wasn't a single occasion when I've felt lack of confidence (as opposed to the Dunlops, which would slide around all the time). IMO this is the #1 thing to change on the stock bike.

Can't stress that enough - if you just bought a new V650, ditch the OEM Dunlops and go for PR4s (or anything else, really). Despite being very soft (and thus wearing out really fast), those Dunlops don't stick at all. I've read somewhere that these are not the same tyres as Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 2 that you can buy separately, the OEM ones are cheaper and single-compound.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I was wondering what measure you used to determine mpg. I'm getting about 54 to 55mpg pretty consistently, using Fuelly (which I've always found to be very accurate). I ride it hard, and noticed it *does* like to be wound up with a sweet spot around 6000 rpms. Can't do much of that in 6th, with normal mixed riding... Below 3000 it starts showing signs of lugging. So, I'm surprised your mileage is that good riding in top gear most of the time.
I just use the calculator on my phone whenever I fill up. The riding I did was mostly at around 45 to 65 MPH. I rarely feel the need to wring it out above 6k rpm.

2015 Versys 650
2014 Ninja 300
2006 Ninja ZX6R 636
1976 Suzuki GT750
1999 Aprilia RS250
2009 Aprilia RS125

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I've noticed the same thing with the rear stock tire. Looked *very* scrubbed after the first few hundred miles, and after a couple thousand, looks like it'll give me 6000 miles on the top end. And, then I'll switch to Michelin PR4s (I got about 11,000 miles on the rear tire on a previous bike, and rode that equally hard).
Here is a picture. I think I will try Dunlop Q3's next. I prefer sticky to long life. Most of my riding is in the twisties.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Versys-smlll001.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	66601  

2015 Versys 650
2014 Ninja 300
2006 Ninja ZX6R 636
1976 Suzuki GT750
1999 Aprilia RS250
2009 Aprilia RS125

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'm considering to purchase a 2010 with original Dunlops on it ~6800km... I know the PR4's are FAR superior.. I just hope if I do get it, I'll be able to survive on the Dunlops until pr4's can get shipped to me.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 06:29 PM

Same deal here. 3050 miles down to the cords and no chicken strips on my stock Dunlop on my 2015. Put on a Bridgestone T30 yesterday. I got good mileage out of the B23's on my 09 V we'll see how the T30 is.

I spent most of my money on bikes, booze and broads. The rest I wasted.

I'd like to have a bad day, just to see what it feels like.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 08:31 PM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Here is a picture. I think I will try Dunlop Q3's next. I prefer sticky to long life. Most of my riding is in the twisties.
Oh, I'm with you on sticky vs long life. The nice thing about the PR4s is you get both...
I live 20 minutes from the north Ga mountains... like having the Dragon in your back yard. So you have to love the twisties (have a few videos of various rides on Blood Mountain, the Suches Loop, etc., posted). The PR4s are glue in the corners, and my last set (on another bike - a VStrom) went over 11,000 miles before showing signs of squaring off. (And, they're amazing in the wet -- another problem with the stockers).
I've heard good things about the Q3s as well... However, the Michelins have been berry berry goood to meee...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

I just did my second track day on the Dunlop Q3's with my 2006 ZX6R. Those puppies stick like snot on a wool blanket. I was scraping boots and footpegs towards the end of the day. I am sold on them. Will order up a set in the next few weeks.

2015 Versys 650
2014 Ninja 300
2006 Ninja ZX6R 636
1976 Suzuki GT750
1999 Aprilia RS250
2009 Aprilia RS125

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode