Anybody Else Feel Similar? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anybody Else Feel Similar?

I feel like I'm compromising my fun and comfortability while riding the Versys due to the size of the bike. The power is perfectly managable, but I mean the overall size of the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
You referring to the 650 or the 1000? And do you find it too large or too small? How big are you?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 11:49 AM

I ride a ninja 250. I just put 2400 miles on it in a week. I rode my wifes Versys to work, seems pretty much perfect to me!

'82 XV920: Soon to be tracker--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--'00 KLR685:adv
--'12 Super Ténéré
--'13 Versys (wifes other bike!)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 02:02 PM

I have pretty much the opposite experience at 6'5 and the bike feels perfect for me, maybe even a tiny bit too small. I say find something that fits you or modify as needed to make the versys work! I love it and its my first bike.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

It's the 650cc and I'm 5'9" and 130lbs. I will be selling the versys soon. Tonight I'm purchasing a 2014 Yamaha FZ6R with 130 miles for $4,000.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswick2 View Post
It's the 650cc and I'm 5'9" and 130lbs. I will be selling the versys soon. Tonight I'm purchasing a 2014 Yamaha FZ6R with 130 miles for $4,000.
Where are you located? Seems like a really good deal.
I'm 5'10" and 195 lbs. The versys 650 is perfect for me. It's tall, it's heavy, it's ugly and it's a great bike.
I almost bought a fz6r but the price was too high. And other owners claimed it was "boring ", same guys who ride 600 supersports.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 08:59 PM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
One of my previous bikes was an FZ6R... Great bike, the inline 4 is smooth as silk (shifting between 1st and 2nd still thunks, though). You'll be able to flat foot it, as opposed to the V. You'll be short shifting more often on the 6R, but it *is* a fabulously flickable bike, and with the right tires (in my case, I preferred PR2s when I owned it), you'll be scraping your knee pucks with confidence in the twisties.

All that being said, it doesn't have the torque that I enjoy *so* much on the V. It's more of a pain to work on due to all the plastics you have to pull even to just change the oil. I've lowered my V (w/ Motowerk's kit), and its as easy to peddle backwards now as the 6R was. The V has more space, and is less cramped, and you *will* be changing the seat on the 6R... (I just ordered a Sargent for the V, but it was a tougher decision).
The 6R's windscreen is less than perfect (and is talked about a lot on the forum). I put a Puig on mine, and it cured the buffeting. The 6R is a solid bike, but, lowered, I believe the V has a plethora of advantages. They're close in weight, but the 6R actually feels *more* top-heavy. Lots of aftermarket farkles for the 6R... and it's got a great forum... So, good luck with whatever you decide... I'll post a pic of mine, if I can find one...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVersysTheWorld View Post
I'm 5'10" and 195 lbs. The versys 650 is perfect for me. It's tall, it's heavy, it's ugly and it's a great bike.
I almost bought a fz6r but the price was too high. And other owners claimed it was "boring ", same guys who ride 600 supersports.
Ugly? Mines beautiful dunno what's wrong with yours
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I feel like I'm compromising my fun and comfortability while riding the Versys due to the size of the bike. The power is perfectly managable, but I mean the overall size of the bike.
Are we supposed to guess what you are thinking? ...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVersysTheWorld View Post
Versys heavy? Its dry weight is 399lbs.. seems light to me.

I previously owned a '08 FZ-6 and personally feel that it is a better bike than the FZ-6R. Incredibly smooth bike as someone else mentioned. I loved my FZ, but I love my Versys too. Just depends on what you want. The FZ is much more sport and high RPM oriented where as the Versys is much more all-around and has a broader torque curve. Also, the FZ-6R weighs about 50lbs more and only produces about 10-12 more HP at 10k RPM than the Versys. My FZ-6 was definitely faster in the 1/4 mile, but for everyday riding, my Versys seems quicker.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Did I miss it, have you said if you think it's too tall, or too wide, or too long, or too heavy,

Or??

Last edited by unstable_rider; 06-09-2015 at 09:27 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 01:47 PM

I love the Versys as a daily donkey and I've spent a decent amount of time and money making it faster around corners but It will never be an all out ADV bike or a sport bike. Its a well balanced and affordable compromise which I find enjoyable enough for daily use and thrashing on the weekends. However I am getting bored of my Versys but I really do find it hard to trade her in. I'm holding out for a used 2015 VFR800 with plenty of attachments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode