lowered the V today - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
lowered the V today

Second post here. Lowered the V with the MotoWerk kit and installed there lowered foot peg kit too. Installation was easy enough, the parts had no flaws and look good too. Me knees are happier and the ride height fits my stature much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	64825   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	64833  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fister79 View Post
Second post here. Lowered the V with the MotoWerk kit and installed there lowered foot peg kit too. Installation was easy enough, the parts had no flaws and look good too. Me knees are happier and the ride height fits my stature much better.
Be sure to adjust your chain, if you already haven't.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

I did check the adjustment and what i think is the tightest section of the chain. It was just slightly over one inch. It's my first motorcycle so I am not completely sure i'm doing it correctly. The sales man checked it before i took the bike, he said the chain was slightly on the tight side due to the initial stretch or wear associated with a new chain. Not sure if that is normal practice or not. I'll do some more research and recheck before I ride again. Thanks saddlebag.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 06:07 AM
BKP

Garage
Nice job. A lot to tackle for your first bike, right away. I assume you raised the forks as well, and it looks like you have the Motowerk insert in the kickstand.
I'll be doing the same this coming weekend...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I did check the adjustment and what i think is the tightest section of the chain. It was just slightly over one inch. It's my first motorcycle so I am not completely sure i'm doing it correctly. The sales man checked it before i took the bike, he said the chain was slightly on the tight side due to the initial stretch or wear associated with a new chain. Not sure if that is normal practice or not. I'll do some more research and recheck before I ride again. Thanks saddlebag.
When the bike is on its sidestand, you should have 1.5" of slack or play in your chain, on the lower run, mid-way between sprockets.

When I lowered my V, it took ALL the slack out of my chain, so I had to re adjust the chain quite a bit.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 02:47 PM
BKP

Garage
Didn't wait til the weekend... Had all the parts, so went ahead and lowered the bike, raised the forks, cut up the kickstand and installed the insert, and re-tensioned the chain...

Took it for a test run... and it didn't disappoint -- all upside... Very impressed with the tight tolerances on Speedy's products.
*Now* the bike's perfect (until the next farkle -- probably the Doubletronics headlight 'fix.'

Ride safe...

Barry
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Hey trialsguy thanks for that info, just what i needed. I'll check it as soon as I get a chance.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Right on BKP, good work. what Doubletronics headlight fix are you talking about?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 03:37 PM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Right on BKP, good work. what Doubletronics headlight fix are you talking about?
I was never crazy about the lone headlight for low beams on the 2015 Versys. So, I was looking for a fix to turn on both headlights in both low and high beams. Doubletronics might be the fix:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...0&postcount=17

Ride safe...

Barry
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I had no idea they was a kit available to do that.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 07:32 AM

Garage
Your welcome
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 02:55 PM

This is my first post. The new members page only post rules is quite irritating. I just picked up a 2015. I was told by the dealer you can't lower these yet because they don't have any lowering kits for them yet. Is that true?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceIceTommay View Post
This is my first post. The new members page only post rules is quite irritating. I just picked up a 2015. I was told by the dealer you can't lower these yet because they don't have any lowering kits for them yet. Is that true?
Check out motowerk.com I think Speedy may have a link for the 2015. Not sure, but if he does, it'll be on his website.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

I think BKP's V is 2015. Look up a few posts.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 10:23 PM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
And another dealer leads a buyer astray...
Mine's a 2015, and I just lowered it with Speedy's kit (Motowerk). The 2015 kit is anodized black. Pre-2015 is silver (I assume we're talking the 650):

http://shop.motowerk.com/Lowering-Ki...-LK151-BLK.htm

Ride safe...

Barry
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 11:36 PM

Lowered too

I lowered the 650 for my son too. I was surprised how tall the bike is for a 650. I was flat footed at 6'2 but my son was on his tip toes at 5'9. The motorwerk kit was a snap. Installed in 30 minutes. ALso did the motorwerk kit for the kickstand. Nothing like taking a sawsall to a brand new bike and lopping off the bottom of the kick stand. LOL. Worked out great though. Fits him perfect now!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinRLi View Post
I lowered the 650 for my son too. I was surprised how tall the bike is for a 650. I was flat footed at 6'2 but my son was on his tip toes at 5'9. The motorwerk kit was a snap. Installed in 30 minutes. ALso did the motorwerk kit for the kickstand. Nothing like taking a sawsall to a brand new bike and lopping off the bottom of the kick stand. LOL. Worked out great though. Fits him perfect now!
I'm not too mechanically inclined. I'd say about average or below. Would I have an issue with this, or should I just take it to the dealer?
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 06:36 PM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

I'm not too mechanically inclined. I'd say about average or below. Would I have an issue with this, or should I just take it to the dealer?
If you follow the install instructions exactly, and assuming you have the right tools, you should be fine. Take your time, no need to rush this... Make sure you have 17mm, 19mm, 27mm sockets, open and crescent wrenches (or pairs of the 17 and 19), 10mm crescent, car scissor jack (to take the pressure off the rear shock), 6mm hex for the front fork pinch/cap bolts, and a roto-zip or sawzall, with a metal cut-off blade for the kickstand. You'll also need some blue (medium strength) loctite. Oh... and a good torque wrench *always* helps...

Remember you have four different processes to complete: install the lowering kit; raise the front forks; cut down the kickstand; and re-tension the chain, because lowering the bike will take the slack out of it... None of it is rocket science, and Speedy's instructions are exact.

Couple of hours for everything...

Ride safe...

Barry
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 06:54 PM

I'm an I.T. guy. I fix PCs and servers and such. I'm moderately mechanical inclined but not a mechanic. I can change my own oil and other minor servicing needs. The lowering kit was IMO an easy install. Instructions were good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode