Buying a used Versys on Monday, wish me luck! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Buying a used Versys on Monday, wish me luck!

So I've been a member here for a while, but never posted. I've ridden 50cc scooters before for a couple years, and my roommate is graciously lending me her '85 Shadow 700 to ride for practice before I go get my bike. I'm buying snowcrash75's '08 V long-distance and flying out on Monday to go pick up the bike and ride it 600 mi home.

There's a little hitch. It won't start. His wife tried to start it to make sure it'd run and so she could wash it, but it just won't. The gauge sweeps, but the LCD and LEDs on the cluster don't turn on unless she jiggles the handlebars. When she touches the Start switch, everything goes dead. The bike was running when parked, so it's gotta either be a battery that is dead (and not indicating bad on a tester, haven't we all heard that one before) or a short/open/loose connection near the ignition or starter switch.

I'm pretty handy with machines, and I'm still flying out to see if I can fix it (it's got all the mods done I want and the price is right) but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on troubleshooting (other than replacing the battery, probably gonna try to do that to see if it'll solve the problem). I'm probably going to try some WD40 in the ignition switch and cleaning the terminals etc before I tear into anything, but an idea of where to start after that would be helpful.

Thank you all for being here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Wishing you luck.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

and try the battery first.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

and you ALREADY got my PM.

... again!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
best of luck

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:38 PM

Congrats!!! You're going to really like the bike. I've owned a lot of bikes over the years and the 2015 Versys 650 ranks among the highest of them. I recently sold my 2010 BMW F800GS after spending a small fortune trying to fix problems like bad vibration, wind buffeting around the helmet and a horribly uncomfortable seat. Granted the BMW is a different purpose bike than the Versys but for the majority of the riding I do (twisty back country roads of Sonoma County and some occasional fire roads) it far outperforms the BMW in all but the dirt. You can feel a tiny bit of vibration through the bike but nothing like the F800GS. Also, almost NO wind buffeting with the windscreen in the high position and a VERY comfy seat.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 09:58 AM

Wow! Good luck. I would also start with a new battery (pun intended). You are far braver than I am, buying an unseen bike and planning a 600 mile trip. Seriously, best of luck. I hope it all works out. Do you have a back up plan?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 10:21 AM

I hope you're getting a really good deal. Otherwise, I'd ask them to get it fixed before buying it. Lets hope it really is just something so simple as a battery and/or dirty ignition switch. You're braver than I to buy a bike unseen that doesn't run, hoping there are no problems on your 600 mile ride home.

Like I said, I really really hope it works out for you. The Versys is a great bike and you'll have a blast with it!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

The backup plan is his wife will refund my deposit and I'll buy a plane ticket home. I'm pretty handy with tools, and I have a friend in SLC who is willing to let me borrow his tools and help me fix the thing if a battery doesn't do it.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:54 AM

I hope you are getting a killer deal. Sounds like trouble to me. Keep this updated. Plenty of people on here to trouble shoot once you have the bike in front of you.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 02:12 PM

Before you head out just have them give it a jump with a car. I always turn the car off and just hook the jumper cables to the car battery and motorcycle.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Got here, put a new battery in it, fired right up. Disconnected some electrical accessories I don't need right now (heated grips and heated clothing connectors) and packed up my saddlebags for a languorous 350 mile ride to my overnight stop tomorrow night.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 06:19 AM

Good news. Keep us posted.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 09:13 AM

Nice man, congrats and welcome. Of course without pics, this didn't happen, so take some snaps of your first journey!

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonetruetom View Post
Got here, put a new battery in it, fired right up....
Really glad for you that it was a "simple" fix...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 07:35 PM

Glad to hear it really was just an easy fix!

Enjoy the ride home!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

I've got two takeaways from that trip:

One: I need a USB charger port. My Cardo Scala Qz died about halfway through both days, and the V does have an enjoyable engine note, but I'd have been happier jamming my music from my phone (not to mention navigation directions) than being forced to listen to the buzz from the instrument panel for 5 hours. Especially annoying when it died in the middle of NM hwy 4 between San Ysidro and Los Alamos on the way home. If any of you ever happen to visit the Land of Entrapment, that road is... Unbelievably beautiful, not to mention very fun to ride. Didn't take many pictures the second day, because I was trying to make miles. But that's not very far from where I live in ABQ, so there's a good chance me and a friend will make a day ride up there next week.

Two: I need a throttle lock. My right hand is hugely sore right now. Anyone use a BrakeAway? How easy are they to install? Is there any form of grip heater that works with them, or is it kind of all or nothing?
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonetruetom View Post
I've got two takeaways from that trip:

One: I need a USB charger port. My Cardo Scala Qz died about halfway through both days, and the V does have an enjoyable engine note, but I'd have been happier jamming my music from my phone (not to mention navigation directions) than being forced to listen to the buzz from the instrument panel for 5 hours. Especially annoying when it died in the middle of NM hwy 4 between San Ysidro and Los Alamos on the way home. If any of you ever happen to visit the Land of Entrapment, that road is... Unbelievably beautiful, not to mention very fun to ride. Didn't take many pictures the second day, because I was trying to make miles. But that's not very far from where I live in ABQ, so there's a good chance me and a friend will make a day ride up there next week.

Two: I need a throttle lock. My right hand is hugely sore right now. Anyone use a BrakeAway? How easy are they to install? Is there any form of grip heater that works with them, or is it kind of all or nothing?

http://www.2wheelride.com/GoCruise_t...0control2.html Had these on the Versys now have them on the FJR..http://www.amazon.com/AME-Sportbike-Heated-Chicane-Grips/dp/B008WAE7W2/ref=sr_1_58?ie=UTF8&qid=1431659489&sr=8-58&keywords=ame+grips

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

Last edited by weljo2001; 05-14-2015 at 10:13 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

I already ordered a BrakeAway, they seem like the best and safest option for cruise control, and my Harley-riding friend uses one too and raves about it. He jokes that his favorite "wave" is the "HAHA I have cruise control" right-hander. Next mod is a Powerlet socket (BMW-style sockets seem to be more vibration-proof even if they are a bit more expensive and hard to find stuff for) and after that, a security system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode