New member from DC area- windscreen advice? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jrider
  • 1 Post By GiantAntCowboy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New member from DC area- windscreen advice?

Hi All,
Doing the obligatory first two posts on here. I'm not traditionally an avid forum user so pardon any awkwardness.
I just got back from the BMW Off-road riding school and LOVED it- despite lots of bruises. BUT i'm not going to drop more $ to buy a BMW (just yet). I want to mod out my 2013 Versys 650 to be more off-road friendly. (Likely just dirt roads and grass to campsites, but still...). However, first is to deal with the massive buffeting i get from the stock windscreen set up. I have a low seat on my bike and maybe that makes it bad, but i've tried every windshield position and still major noise/push and bobble-heading.
Taking suggestions for an after-market option that folks have found helpful. I'm 5'6" and but not sure how to measure my height sitting on the bike. I live alone so tough to get a hand in measuring where my head is relative to the front of the bike.
THanks. Also, feel free to private message me if posting links to products is not allowed on this site.
BJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 07:17 PM

Screens and seats seem to be really personal. Definitely not a one size fits all. I'm 5'11" and have a zero gravity screen. It's better than stock and good enough for me, but I would try something else also. Definitely less wind noise, but not gone. I also added an X-creen sport screen to it and that also helps.

I'm sure others will chime in with their $0.02. Also explore the search function and see what others have tried...

Happy riding!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

5' 9" and using GIVI tall screen with MRA wind breaker and Honda Goldwing air vent.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

Some like the stock screen mounted upside-down.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-12-2015 at 04:26 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the suggestions. Still looking into options but I just put the stock seat back on and the noise and bobble-heading seems improved. The low seat wasn't really all that much lower and it was sliding me forward, not leaving enough room for my butt and I was sore after just 200mi ride.
We'll see what's next for windscreen- gotta wait until payday anyway.
thanks
bj
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 10:43 AM

I have the same shield as Fastoman's w/o the X-screen. Way better than stock. GIVI has one designed for 10-14 models. There are a number of V riders in the area now, maybe we should organize a ride.

Gerald
bjhessler likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 11:25 AM

Welcome to the Versys. I too live in DC and also playing with windshield options. Let me know if you ever run into troubles and we can do some local troubleshooting
bjhessler likes this.

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 12:03 PM

After all, this is a motorcycle. Anything you do to enlarge the windscreen will make it less off road worthy. If you are just going to do dirt roads you aren't really off road. You don't have to do anything except avoid mud. Mud will jam you front wheel with a low fender.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 02:47 PM

Garage
Not sure what is different about your windscreen from a 2009, but here is what I did:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...8&postcount=10

I'm 5'11" and moving the stock screen up just a couple extra inches helped out a lot.

I used that setup for almost two years straight, and the bottom 'brackets' never loosened one bit.

It might be worth considering something like this.

'18 Versys V1K
'09 Versys 650
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 08:30 AM

Givi 410ST

I have a Givi 410ST on my 12 V that was on the bike when I bought it, and would not recommend if you are 6'1" like myself or taller. If I was an inch or 2 smaller it would be perfect. I am looking to replace mine, but haven't seen any that are functional and retain the sport look I dig so much. Ain't putting no Goldwing parts on my street fighter.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

For real? That's an actual thing- mounting the stock on upside down?

Last edited by bjhessler; 05-31-2016 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Didn't quote the thing i was replying to
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhessler View Post
For real? That's an actual thing- mounting the stock on upside down?
On the Gen 1 Vs - YES!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
windscreen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode