new owner by proxy - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
new owner by proxy

My wife just got a 1000 LT a few days ago. So here I am to pick all your brains and learn what I can about the bike. So far she wants crash bars (or somethin to protect plastic if she goes down).
I've added an AdMore light bar which came off her last bike. wiring is being a pain, but I'm working on that.

anyway, hi!

"They will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 10:53 AM

What do you ride? Will we be seeing her join us here too?

I'd love it if my wife rode. Although I have really enjoyed it as a solo activity, particularly when I've done solo trips from SF up to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington...

I hope y'all get many happy miles together!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
My buddy Ray is enjoying your wife's old FZ-1 he took it out to Lake Bridgeport yesterday.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
You might want to check with them to make sure they also fit the 2015's....http://www.accessoryinternational.co...crashbars.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome. I just traded my Tiger 800xc for a 2013 FJR. I finally admitted I wasnt going off road, so I may as well have more wind protection. So far I'm happy with it.

She and I do lots of trips together, on our own bikes. I do as well by myself.

I really like her bike. kawi finally got one right, though I think calling it a Versys, and marketing it as an adventure bike will hurt it's sales. fantastic bike all around bike!

"They will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 01:46 AM

Garage
Welcome your wife has good taste.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwadej View Post

I really like her bike. kawi finally got one right, though I think calling it a Versys, and marketing it as an adventure bike will hurt it's sales. fantastic bike all around bike!
And why do you think that? Street adventure bikes are the craze right now.

They will never sell the numbers that Cruisers sell, but the Japanese are realizing that the Cruiser market is dominated by American brands and are trying other ways to sell bikes.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 06:41 AM

Hi!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwadej View Post
My wife just got a 1000 LT a few days ago. So here I am to pick all your brains and learn what I can about the bike. So far she wants crash bars (or somethin to protect plastic if she goes down).
I've added an AdMore light bar which came off her last bike. wiring is being a pain, but I'm working on that.

anyway, hi!

Hi, just got one a couple of weeks ago myself. Pretty sporty lil machine.

So far, all I've added to mine is a top box and a couple of Gerbing's fused connectors. I splice Gerbings connectors onto everything so it's plug and play to run clothes, GPS, Battery Tender etc using the same connector(s).

When I ran the wire for my GPS, I wasn't sure about how the fairing was fastened on the frame. There are only two visible screws. My previous FJR had a million screws in the hardest to find/reach places. I broke more than a few plastic bits screwing with it. Fortunately, Kaw has seen fit to use the Honda style plug in grommet connections. There are only a couple of screws hiding, but they become visible once you pop off the orange cover. It only has one screw and it's visible. I took some pics of it in another thread, but if you pop off the top orange piece you can see them pretty well.

Someone posted a link to a bunch of assembly drawings on the Kawasaki website. That should be valuable in figuring out how this thing is bolted together. Best of luck to you both.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 AM

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Street adventure bikes are the craze right now.
That's what my dealer told me too.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
At least ONE of you will be on a GREAT bike.... Nice that she allows you to "try" it!

to your wife... and to you!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode