Lowering... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
BKP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Lowering...

Has anyone lowered their Versy? And if so, did you use the Motowerk kit? Seems 1.8" is an awful lot...
I have a 29" inseam, and have lowered previous bikes up to 19mm (both rear and forks). And, that's actually planted the bike better, as well as getting me closer to flat-footing, without changing the riding geometry... worked great... However, 1.8"? Whew...

Trying to find out what other's have done...

Ride Safe...
-Barry

(PS - had to post here instead of the mod section -- only my 2nd post)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
Has anyone lowered their Versy? And if so, did you use the Motowerk kit? Seems 1.8" is an awful lot...
I have a 29" inseam, and have lowered previous bikes up to 19mm (both rear and forks). And, that's actually planted the bike better, as well as getting me closer to flat-footing, without changing the riding geometry... worked great...
Mine is lowered an inch front and rear. I also have a 29" inseam. It's still quite tall, but in boots, I can get the balls of both feet down. The lowering link I bought is adjustable, so I may take it down a little further.

The biggest problem is the kickstand. Mine is cutoff, hoping Speedy will come out with a Flatfoot to fit the new stand. Until then, I just throw down plate for it to rest on. Even just dropping the bike an inch has the stock stand nearly toppling it over.

I also shelved the center stand. That may not be an issue on the 650 LT, not sure?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
mine is lowered with the motowerk kit in the rear and 1"(about) in the front and was that way when i got it.. im 6'2 and can flat foot and be a few intchs off the bike >.>

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Mine is lowered an inch front and rear. I also have a 29" inseam. It's still quite tall, but in boots, I can get the balls of both feet down. The lowering link I bought is adjustable, so I may take it down a little further.

The biggest problem is the kickstand. Mine is cutoff, hoping Speedy will come out with a Flatfoot to fit the new stand. Until then, I just throw down plate for it to rest on. Even just dropping the bike an inch has the stock stand nearly toppling it over.

I also shelved the center stand. That may not be an issue on the 650 LT, not sure?
You might want to take a look at Soupy's Adjustable stand. I had it on my last bike (might be able to see it on my avatar). Worked famously. (I'd never use their adjustable links over solid billet, but the kickstand isn't as critical). Little pricey but well worth it (and you want to buy the foot that goes with it).

http://soupysperformance.com/kawasaki/versys-650.html
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 04:39 AM

Garage
No idea about inseam but I have short legs and lowered mine using speedys kit. Quality piece of gear and my Versys handles like a dream.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 04:42 AM
ggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
No idea about inseam but I have short legs and lowered mine using speedys kit. Quality piece of gear and my Versys handles like a dream.
same all is good
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
same all is good
Thanks guys... I appreciate you sharing your experience.
I don't plan on doing any off-road, except perhaps a fire-trail here and there, so not worried about clearance, and the occasional scrape on the pegs in the twisties never bothered me, so I'll be lowering, and Speedy's seems to be the way to go from everything I've read.

Ride safe...
-Barry
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You might want to take a look at Soupy's Adjustable stand. I had it on my last bike (might be able to see it on my avatar). Worked famously. (I'd never use their adjustable links over solid billet, but the kickstand isn't as critical). Little pricey but well worth it (and you want to buy the foot that goes with it).

http://soupysperformance.com/kawasaki/versys-650.html
I'm just the opposite. I wanted the adjustability of Soupy's link, but think his kickstands are hideous. Painting one black might help. It definitely needs the extra cost "flat foot" he sells as optional.

I'll wait for Speedy's solution for another month or so. If he doesn't have something by then I'll probably just buy Soupy's stand and be done with it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 04:12 AM

Quote:

I have a 29" inseam, and have lowered previous bikes up to 19mm (both rear and forks). And, that's actually planted the bike better, as well as getting me closer to flat-footing, without changing the riding geometry... worked great... However, 1.8"? Whew...

Trying to find out what other's have done...

Ride Safe...

-Barry

(PS - had to post here instead of the mod section -- only my 2nd post)

I used the Motowerks on my '12 but didn't lower the forks. This helped tremendously with seat comfort instead of everything (crotch) angled toward the tank. Stock stand worked but I finally opted for the Flatfoot from Motowerks. It is nice. The bike handles great for me without the forks lowered - IMHO.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I'm just the opposite. I wanted the adjustability of Soupy's link, but think his kickstands are hideous. Painting one black might help. It definitely needs the extra cost "flat foot" he sells as optional.

I'll wait for Speedy's solution for another month or so. If he doesn't have something by then I'll probably just buy Soupy's stand and be done with it.
For my lowered V (front and rear), I bought a used kickstand off of Ebay for $19, including shipping. It was from a 650 Ninja. It came with a spring, mounting bolt and nut, and looks almost new, and works great. And -Its now easier to put the stand down, as the thingie that sticks out from its side is a little longer and in a different place. Its about a 2 minute job to find it on Ebay and a 5 minute job to install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode