New Member in Atlanta - forced retirement of last bike... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
BKP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New Member in Atlanta - forced retirement of last bike...

Hello all... not quite an owner yet... put a deposit down on a white 650 LT, that's not supposed to arrive for a bit...

I was a 2013 V-Strom owner 'til last Friday evening (4/24) when stopped at a light, a teen texter decided to launch me about 20 feet into the air from behind (and yes, I do pull to the left or right of the lane at stops, keep the bike in gear, and check the rear views obsessively -- this one just got away).
First thoughts, after spending the evening in the ER and figuring out what still worked <on me>, was what to do about a ride (I've seen pics of my meticulously maintained, highly modded Strom... may she RIP). And, with the extra time on my hands (or at least the currently working hand), kept coming up with a white 2015 Versys 650 LT... So, here I am.

I *do* love the Strom, however, I'm ready for the shorter wheelbase, and smaller front tire of the Versy for a bit more cornering attitude in the Ga mountains, without losing the versatility of the genre. This seems to fit the bill.

I do have a couple of questions (for another thread -- this is what I love about these forums)... and hopefully get a chance to meet/ride with a few of you, once my bits, hopefully, knit back together...

Ride safe...

-Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 11:52 PM

A 19 year old girl sent me here too on my last motorcycle. I think you will be real happy after you max Mama's insurance limits out. I looked at your bike too, but I liked the Supermoto tourer best, and it was cheaper as well (since made from high selling Ninja 650.) You have got a great bike in the pearl white metal-flake paint with lots of new features for the Vs. 650. Just wait until you hit 6k rpm, after you break it in: that's the best feature of all :-)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post

A 19 year old girl sent me here too on my last motorcycle. I think you will be real happy after you max Mama's insurance limits out. I looked at your bike too, but I liked the Supermoto tourer best, and it was cheaper as well (since made from high selling Ninja 650.) You have got a great bike in the pearl white metal-flake paint with lots of new features for the Vs. 650. Just wait until you hit 6k rpm, after you break it in: that's the best feature of all :-)
Sorry to hear about your 'assisted' off. Frustrating as all hell, isn't it?
I've heard that about the 6k rev power push on the Versy... looking forward to it. But, won't be waiting to reach it (I've always subscribed to the Motoman break-in philosophy... and I know it's heavily debated, but it's worked *very* well for me, and break-in is over in about 60 miles after leaving the dealer... usually by the time I get the new ride home).
The new Versy features have me pretty psyched. I like the idea of the rubber mounts, and retuned map. And the additional nimbleness will be welcome.

I'm a 'semi-older' rider, otherwise the supermotos would have much more appeal to me... I usually pop on a Sargent (been through the Corbin "planks", and don't want the lazy boy feel of a Russell), and I'm good. The supermotos would have me aching every day...

Anyway, good to hear you survived *your* teen unguided missile... Time to ratchet up the texting laws, and begin enforcing them with something a bit more painful than a $150 fine...

Ride safe...
-Barry
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
.... Time to ratchet up the texting laws, and begin enforcing them with something a bit more painful than a $150 fine...

Ride safe...
-Barry
IF the information that 'texting-driving' is MORE dangerous than 'impaired-driving', is correct, than how about you LOSE your license for 6 months for a FIRST offense, plus MANY demerit points, then LONGER plus jail-time for the next offense.

That MIGHT stop a few of these "asshats"...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
BKP

Garage
I'm all for increased punishment (as well as increased enforcement)...
Not too sure if texting/driving is more dangerous than drinking/driving... I *know* it's more prevalent, which probably accounts for the overwhelming statistics. Just look to the right or left on any multi-lane pavement, and you can see the texting is prolific...

I've hung one of my Drift Ghosts off the passenger window of my cage, in DVR mode... Decided I'm going to record a few of 'em (texting/driving is illegal in Ga., but enforcement is nil), and send the clip off to the LEOs along with a snap of the offender's license plate...
I'm sure it won't amount to much...however, I know it'll be highly satisfying for me...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 08:16 PM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode