Not a happy Versys owner - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not a happy Versys owner

I have a 2008 Versys. I have searched the forum for a similar problem that I have but can not find one. I can't post the problem to a forum until I create 2 new member posts. Can't really add much to the conversations if I can't ride my bike. So, I will try to get my question answered here. I had a charging problem. Replaced battery, stator, regulator. Ran fine for 1 day, then no headlights, and starter will not disengage. So I replaced solenoid. Still won't disengage. I read about this problem on the Vulcan forum, but nobody came up with a solution. Is there a mechanic that can tell me what else it could be? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 06:28 PM

It seems to me that you just went loco replacing components but you didn;t check if they were the problem.

1. Verify if you are getting 14.5 volts at 3000 rpm at the battery if not then:
    1. Verify the stator output at the stator
    2. Verify the stator output at the regulator
    3. Verify the regulator output
  2. Take the battery off the motorcycle and either have it checked, charge/load test.

What you describe seems to be a battery charging issue, your bike will run when the battery is charged and the battery will loose charge as you ride. The next day is drained.

The issue might be as simple as an open circuit in one of the connections, something that a splice and electric tape could fix.

It's important the you follow the service manual recommended procedure to test this issue and only replace the parts that are really damaged.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

The stator and regulator were diagnosed at the dealer, I replaced them myself to save the $800.00 they wanted to rip me off for. The bike ran fine after that. It charges fine, but the starter will not disengage. On a Vulcan forum, they had the same issue, and replaced the solenoid. but then the thread ended, I thought that would fix the problem, I was in error. I know that the headlights will not come on until the starter disengages, but it won't. I have been trying to avoid having to replace the $427 dollar starter. But it may be the last thing to check.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by boboo2u View Post
The stator and regulator were diagnosed at the dealer, I replaced them myself to save the $800.00 they wanted to rip me off for. The bike ran fine after that. It charges fine, but the starter will not disengage. On a Vulcan forum, they had the same issue, and replaced the solenoid. but then the thread ended, I thought that would fix the problem, I was in error. I know that the headlights will not come on until the starter disengages, but it won't. I have been trying to avoid having to replace the $427 dollar starter. But it may be the last thing to check.
so just to make this clear TO EVERY ONE HERE your issue is your starter will not DISENGAGE aka it just keeps cranking.....correct?
have you tested your starter button its self to make sure its not getting stuck open?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:

As silviefox said, you can try cleaning the start button, and/or disconnect it and start it jumping the cables.

Another option is that the Starter Relay is getting stuck, as you can imagine the only thing that the starter switch does is to close the starter relay which handles a lot more current. The procedure to check it is in section 16-52 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM of the service manual.

The relay is located under the Right Rear Frame Cover.

BTW if the dealer diagnosed all those pieces and the problem persist they did an awful diagnosis.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I already checked the switch, so I will hit up the relay.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

So much for that idea, solenoid and relay are one piece, so both replaced.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:44 PM

My KLX did that a couple of months ago. The wiring harness was pinched between the seat and the gas tank near the starter solenoid. The hot wire from the battery made contact with the starter circuit. Started the bike and it would not turn off and then the harness melted down before I had time to get to the problem area. I know its not a KLX but I would look along the frame and under the gas tank at the steering head to inspect the harness wiring to make sure it is bundled well and not pinched.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 10:11 AM

Try disconnecting the live wire to the starter on the solenoid, if it still doesn't disengage that would mean there is a problem with the starter clutch and not with the starter itself.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
So much for that idea, solenoid and relay are one piece, so both replaced.
The starter magnetic switch (solenoid relay) which powers the starter is activated by the starter relay which is part of the relay assembly box (3 relays). They are 2 separate parts. Relay is usually at fault... So, is it fixed now?

http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/.../starter-motor

http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/...ical-equipment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode