From a Guzzi to a Versys - New IA member - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
From a Guzzi to a Versys - New IA member

Hi everyone!

Been referencing the AWESOME wealth of information here over the past few days, and I figured it was high time I made an account.

About me, I'm a librarian here in Eastern Iowa, USA. Spent the past 5 years riding a 2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 and finally made the step up to a 2009 Kawasaki Versys last month. Couldn't be happier with the bike thus far, and I'm sure enjoying tinkering with it. Planning a trip out to Washington, DC and back this summer, so I'll hopefully get some good miles in on the new bike.

Great to be here, and I'm looking forward to my stay!

Best,
Andy

2009 Kawasaki Versys -- Lovin' it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome. I also have a guzzi in my stable. Love it, but wouldn't want to ride it cross-country. Good choice with the Versys. Start making it trip ready and have fun!

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Andy. The last Guzzi I owned was a V50 Mark III that I really enjoyed even as it and I aged together. Eventually sold it to a fellow who was in love with it more than I was. Guzzis still hold a place in my heart however, but as a secondary bike. The Versys is my primary love - at the moment.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Hey hey, great to see there's some current/former Guzzi'ers on here too! Absolutely loved the Breva, but it was just a bit compact for my tall frame and limited for distance riding. Sometime in the future I'd love to pick another Guzzi up. Someday!

Beautiful day here in Iowa, so I figured I'd post a picture of how my Versys is set up thus far as well. Leave May 27th, so I've been somewhat scrambling to get everything all set in the past while. Bank account hasn't greatly appreciated the continued additions, but she fits me pretty well now. Next (and I think last for now) step will be a different saddle; this stock one's less than comfy.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Quite excited to be here!

Best,
Andy

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
.....http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/K...tegory=1671354

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 07:20 PM

Everybody needs to own at least one Guzzi in their lifetime if for no other reason than the exhaust note. A V50 III, now that is a blast from the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dZBONQiOvI

And Welcome to the Versys forum!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
Everybody needs to own at least one Guzzi in their lifetime if for no other reason than the exhaust note. A V50 III, now that is a blast from the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dZBONQiOvI

And Welcome to the Versys forum!
I have a hard time putting my ear plugs in when I am on the V7 cafe classic. Guess I need to get some minstrel pipes.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 11:04 AM

Consider an Airhawk pad instead of a new seat altogether. It's what I use on my touring trips and I'm happy with it. New saddles are really personal and often require a lot of trial and error. Many people here have tried a variety of saddles until they found the one that works.

The Seat Concepts was not for me at all...if you're taller than 6'1 it might be a better fit.

The Corbin was OK for me, but I didn't like that it's not meant to get wet.

Enjoy you're ride! Be sure to post photos!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone!

Thoroughly agreed on the Guzzi Kiko. Hopefully there'll be another one in my future. For now though, I'm sure glad the 'saki's in my stable!

As for a saddle, went ahead and picked up a spare saddle off of Ebay to have redone by Seat Concepts. I'm 6'2", 170lb, and from what I've been reading that will *hopefully* fit me. If not, we'll go from there! If that doesn't work out, I'll definitely give the Airhawk pad/other options a shot!

Thanks again for the input everyone. Looking forward to my trip, and I'll definitely make sure to post up a ride report. Super excited to be here!

Best,
Andy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in