650 or 1000... decisions decisions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
650 or 1000... decisions decisions

Asking for the forum's help...

I've decided to buy a new Versys. Can't decide between the 650 and the 1000, and the (stupid) fact that the dealers won't permit test rides isn't helping.

I've never had less than a 1000cc bike in 15 years of riding. But the last bike was a BMW K1200LT, which at 800+ pounds fully outfitted, was just too unwieldy around town. That said, I worry that going ALL the way down to a 650 is going to be underwhelming.

Duty for this bike will be daily commuting of 15 miles of highway followed by 5 miles of city streets. And the occasional weekend jaunts solo. Few, if any, 2-up trips.

I'd opt for the 650, but I like the ability to twist the throttle and feel the hand of god move me out of traffic stupidity, and I don't know that the 650 has this ability. I also dislike feeling crosswind on the open road. That said, if the 650 is up to the task, it's the default. Price is no factor between these two bikes.

I'm 40 years old and not into hot-rodding (much) anymore. More into the happiness of throwing a leg over the thing and enjoying the morning commute.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Get The V1000...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwilshire View Post

I've decided to buy a new Versys. Can't decide between the 650 and the 1000, and the (stupid) fact that the dealers won't permit test rides isn't helping.

I've never had less than a 1000cc bike in 15 years of riding. But the last bike was a BMW K1200LT, which at 800+ pounds fully outfitted, was just too unwieldy around town. That said, I worry that going ALL the way down to a 650 is going to be underwhelming.

Duty for this bike will be daily commuting of 15 miles of highway followed by 5 miles of city streets. And the occasional weekend jaunts solo. Few, if any, 2-up trips.

I'd opt for the 650, but I like the ability to twist the throttle and feel the hand of god move me out of traffic stupidity, and I don't know that the 650 has this ability. I also dislike feeling crosswind on the open road. That said, if the 650 is up to the task, it's the default. Price is no factor between these two bikes.

I'm 40 years old and not into hot-rodding (much) anymore. More into the happiness of throwing a leg over the thing and enjoying the morning commute.

Thanks all!
I think you answered your own question. If it's power that thrills ya, it's a no brainer. Also, the V1K handles like it's made of feathers. I have to get used to how easy it is to change directions with it. It is also pretty stable in crosswinds for such a light bike.

If I didn't cart around a passenger and I was mainly using a bike for commuting, I'd prolly have gone with the 650. It's cheaper, easier on tires and chains, and gets better gas mileage. But I don't and I didn't.

I don't think you'll be unhappy with either. Happy hunting.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 03:03 PM

I started on a Ninja 650. While the engine is quite peppy, for me I never felt real comfortable doing my 20 mile 90% freeway/10% surface street commute mainly due to a lack of engine power for a quick defense and a lack of braking power for my size (at that time, about 230 with full gear) and luggage (35-litre top case).

I'm now on a 1000 and I think the roll-on power and better braking are worth the extra cost.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 04:02 PM

If it's for you only, go for the 650. Almost all big bikers go back to 650 level due to the handling (safety and fun.) Of course if you regularly go over 100 mph, the 1000 may be what you want. The midrange cam of the 650 will put your eyes in the back of your head under 100mph.

So it's easy, 2 up all the time or over 100 mph all the time, go with the v1000: o/w go with the Vs 650 (preferred for fun and safety by the experts.) Also, the V650 is the only supermoto tourer on the market: it's incredible.

I respect Joe's opinion (1st response), but Saddlebag never even drove a Vs.650 (not big enough to haul him, and I'm near 300lbs) and a Ninja does not have the midrange overhead cams of the Vs (it's another high mph alternative.) In-line 4's (bricks) are incredible engines, but they will get you killed if you tried to drive it like a supermoto bike (or Vs. 650.)

Most of my bikes were BMW's and my K1100LT was what drive me to the BMW F650 ST which I still have. The Vs. 650 is just the best bike I've ever driven with the supermoto suspension and midrange cam. Big bikes are clumsy and will not stop the brick engines: they are just a bridge between motorcycles and cars for 2 people (kind of like a convertible sports car.)

Last edited by kawdog; 04-26-2015 at 04:25 PM.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
but Saddlebag never even drove a Vs.650 (not big enough to haul him, and I'm near 300lbs)
When did Saddlebag ever say that?
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 04:35 PM

Garage
I find the 650 to have ample power and you see I also have a concours 14. You just have to be willing to keep the revs up to be in the power band. When I am in traffic I will keep the rpms up so that I have launch power when needed.

I would compare all the factors when making the choice. If you are only going to ride on well maintained roads, go for the 1000. If you are going on rougher pavement, tighter roads requiring quick maneuvers, the 650 might be for you.

I gave a 2014 corvette a run up to illegal speeds where he was breaking loose at every shift to keep pace with me. How much more do you need? I never ride the concours that hard.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 04:37 PM

Garage
Without a test ride, go for the 1000. You won't regret it and won't know what you could have had with the 650.
Craigar likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 06:33 PM

I started on the 1000cc Concours, then sold it for a Suzuki 750 katana, and now have 4 years with the Versys 650..

There's plenty of mid range to blast out of cagers ways, and it is nimble as all hell. I doubt it's "not enough bike" for anyone. I think the 1000 will still be a big bike, and although I haven't ridden it, I doubt it's as flickable as the 650. Maybe for those weekend solo runs that's what you'll want?

good luck and I'm sure you can't go wrong with either.

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 06:45 PM

Based on your description of need, I would say 650. Have a Honda 919 for the adrenalin rush at 8-10k rpms and 100mph + speeds, a Tiger 1050 for the awesome triple, and a 2015 versys 650 lt for pure fun and the curves. Nothing better for handling and staying under 110 mph. I was going to buy the 1000, but the wheel base was about the same as my Triumph Tiger 1050 and my wife eats my lunch if I am on the Tiger and she is on the 650, unless of course it is on the straight shot road!
Heavyhiking likes this.
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 06:52 PM

classic video. the 650 is fast enough, and can do more than any of us can... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nDcOz7oOVM

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 04:46 AM

Garage
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
I doubt it's as flickable as the 650.
I have owned the 650 for 2 and a 1/2 years. I have ridden the 2015 V1K for 730 km. The 1000 is every bit as flickable as the 650 and handles every bit as good. It also has the low down torque of the 650 and a shed load more top end.
The 1000 has Bridgestone BT30 tyres which I'd suggest are as good as the Michelin PR4's on my 650.
If you want the versatility and good handling of the 650 with the power of the 1000 and price isn't an issue I'd go the 1000. It also gets almost as good fuel economy as the 650.

Quote:

Thanks all!
Maybe the 650 would do you lol
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Thanks all!
My experience with the 1000 is limited to an hour long test ride.

My feeling is the extra power of a 1000 bike is unusable in city traffic or commuting unless you ride on empty roads with no traffic enforcement. The lighter weight and nimbleness of the 650 is a bigger advantage under the same conditions. The 650 still has more than enough grunt to out accelerate a Ferreri up to 60MPH and will easily cruise at higher speeds. The 1000 is obviously going to have better roll on at highway speeds though. They are not really the same bike or even that similar despite the same name IMO. Lots of magazine comparisons on youtube.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-27-2015 at 09:50 AM.
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:10 AM

If I had the money I would go with the 1000. I feel like you could do a lot more with it, especially if you ride 2 up(if even only occasionally). I find the 650 to be plenty peppy (i'm 200lb.) if you are in the right gear. That being said if you are used to a bigger bike, and the 650 may feel like less of a bike than you are used to. The 650 is a torquey midrange engine that is in another class than the inline 4 1000. I have never rode the 1000, but imagine it is more what you are looking for by reading what you wrote.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:30 AM

I went from the 650 to the 1000 and would never go back. The 650 was a great bike and I may still have it if the 1000 never came out but since I was doing more touring, I went for the 1000.
As many reviews have pointed out the V1000 carries it's weight very well and the extra 70 pounds or so is a non-issue when you have 80% more hp and 70 or so% more torque.
I have done 38,000 km in 2 seasons approx. half touring and half commuting/day rides and I can say from actually experiencing both that it is just a nimble and flickable as the 650 and my fuel economy is the same or better than the 650 was.
I think with your experience with 1000+ cc bikes you would probably miss the available power.
Just my opinion after actually owning and riding both.

2013 Versys1000
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:46 AM

I consider a 650 a mid-sized bike, and a 1000 a large bike.

The choice comes down to deciding how and where you think you will be doing most of your riding.

If its mostly commuting, city riding, short rides, weekend rides, one-up, with light loads, then mid-size bikes are more convenient to just jump on and go.

If its longer distances, with heavier loads, multi-day rides, big bikes are less cramped, more comfy, less fatiguing.
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 02:40 PM

I was in a similar boat as you:
- had a Tiger 1050
- commuted 100 miles roundtrip, almost all freeway
- almost 40 years old, and trying to be more mature

I knew I'd love the 1000 and the ergos and weight felt good. Buuutttt, the lower price, better mileage/octane, and cheaper maintenance said I should get the 650. My dealer would prep one and let me ride it, so I had them prep the 650 to see if it had enough power for me. It felt a lot better than I thought it would, so I went ahead and bought it. My commute requires 75+ mph and the 650 does it while giving me 52mpg average.
Now, if I didn't care about mpg, rear tires, or higher payment, I'm sure I would've gotten the 1000 and loved it.
Seeing some comments above the mileage of the 1000 makes me think that maybe I made a mistake, but there was still no getting around the $4,000 price difference for me at this time. Maybe in a couple years, who knows....
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I came to the V from a Bandit 1200S and a KLR650. W/ about 88K MILES between my two Vs - I never miss either of the previous ones!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the helpful responses!

It's great to read that everyone with a 650 thinks that's the one to get, and everyone with a 1000 thinks that's the better choice. I guess one cannot go wrong.

Two questions:

1. Is there anyone who purchased one of these bikes and thinks perhaps they should have gotten the other one? That would be very instructive at this point.

2. Is the 650 prone to being pushed around by wind gusts on the freeway, and how is the wind protection for the rider (especially compared to the 1000)?

Thanks again!

Mike
2015 Versys 650 LT (white)
Arlington, VA
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
My feeling is the extra power of a 1000 bike is unusable in city traffic or commuting unless you ride on empty roads with no traffic enforcement.
I have a V1K and got beat by a guy in a Saturn today. We were coming out of a small town and the road necks down from a 4 lane to a two lane. The State Patrol likes to park on either side of the city and collect money.

So anyway, we are at a red light and I can tell he's itching to get in front of me. When it turned green I gave the bike just enough to keep up with him as he was wringing his car's neck. Then he had to shift and started falling behind so I slowed down. I short shifted at 6k rpm and let him charge into the speed trap. As I did, I look in the mirror, and one of these idiots with a diesel truck spewing black smoke is flying up from behind me, so I slowed and moved over and watched him damn near rear end the Saturn.

One of my favorite roads is off that highway. If either of them had turned down it, that big inline would have come in handy to pass them like they were standing still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode