Hello - New Member on the Forum - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Hello - New Member on the Forum

Hello Versys owners,

I have just joined the forum and thought of dropping a line. a bit about my riding experience/rides.

I started off on a 70cc street bike and moved onto 125cc in my teen years. About 5 years ago bought a an 1985 Virago 1100 to get into the "bigger" world. And then recently bought a Honda Shadow 750 and ended up selling it in less than a month - problem: The power and torque of Virago 1100 had spoilt me.

Now I am looking for a dual sport/street bike. Was shopping around for a used 1000cc when one of the dealers suggested looking into the 650CC becasue he said that I will feel much more "punchy" power and torque from the dual sport bikes.

I therefore researched to death and narrowed down my choices to Yamaha FZ6, Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 and ofcourse the sleak looking Versys. Honestly speaking, I am torn between the Versys and the Vee. I am not a speed demon but need the power when a situation requires it. I don't do off-road at all and don't like big bulky bikes. The Vee looks very intimidating although online forums claim that is a nimble bike. However, I still have to test drive these bikes to confirm the "punchy" power claim made by one of the local Suzuki dealers unless some of you guys and gals can pitch in and solve my dilemma. Besides the comfort and agility level, my only concern is resale value.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
On this forum it will be very bias toward the versys of course but i can tell you before i brought my 08 V i test rode in same shop a demo 650 vstrom and then the V. IMHO the strom felt a lot more heavy especially pushing it on very acute corners and the versys was nimble with lots of cool power, 11,000km later and just as excited taking the V out on twisty roads as i was then.

anyway to the forum and Phil
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

I sat on one of the Vees at the suzui dealer and felt the top front to be a bit too heavy. I am an average height guy (a bit on the heavy side) and the dealer said he is 5'3" and has never had any issues handling a Vee - he was of course a Suzuki dealer who wanted to sell me the bike ...

Not seeing a used Versys either at the dealers or on Craigs Listmakes me wonder that either they are so good, no one wants to sell them or they have a poor resale value?

Can you comment on the power of the Versys engine - does it have the "punchy" feeling when you need to get out of tough spots?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

This was also a suzuki dealer and they wanted to sell the strom but had a traded in 08 versys there and i loved it as i wanted to get rid of my 02 bmw 650 GS as it had way to many kms on it. If you test ride a versys is the only way to really explain because it is "punchy" I spent 300km on a race track doing avanced bike riding on a very tight course and my wee V was right up the arse of some very powerful road bikes such as GSX R's especially on the tight circuit no hope on back straight but the V is not a crutch rocket. I had some awsome feed back from various guys on there more powefull horse's. It has got plenty of punch to get you out of trouble
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:19 AM

a little tip for searching cl... add "site:craigslist.org" (no quotes) to your versys google search. that will pull all cl posts in the US and give you a good idea about whats going on with v prices (and possibly parts).

personally, i wouldn't worry too much about resale. i picked my 09 up from a dealer that them (last week) @ under 6k otd. obviously, a bike that costs under 6K new will not be worth much in 3 years. on the other hand, after nearly 1000 miles in my first week on this bike, all i can say is that the v is a class killer, being able to be tossed around like a sport bike and at the same time being comfortable for all day rides. i've ridden gs800s, fgs650s, wee&bigVstroms, multistradas (traded my 1000 for the v), and have never had this much (manageable and forgiving) fun.

err... as kiwi41 said, maybe a lil bias here tho
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the useful tips. I am thinking about importing from US because of crazy sales on 09 models. Here in Canada, the prices are too high. 09 is around $9500 otd while 2010 is around $10K.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 10:16 AM

If possible, test ride those bike of your choice. They will tell you straight away.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 11:33 AM

Strom was a much heavier, larger feel. Not bad mind you - but I was looking at both as well, and it came down to how much time I felt I would be off road (almost nil) - IMO the V is a better all road bike than the strom and I am not a fan of the strom's looks.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
If possible, test ride those bike of your choice. They will tell you straight away.
If you take stlee29 advice it will simply answer all your questions
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:16 PM

All the comparisons I have read give the nod to the Versys over the V Strom in the excitement factor. Punchy power is something I am not interested in, a wide useable torque and horsepower is more rideable and the average rider will post better times on the track with manageable power. If you just want punch, a liter sportbike can deliver that, if you keep the revs high. Just ride the Versys before you buy something else.

My Album:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode