Still Waiting - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Still Waiting

I am still waiting for my 650LT to arrive at the dealer. First they pointed to the dock situation and said it was waiting to be offloaded. Now they aren't sure and claim to be calling Kawi daily for updates. I have been waiting for over a month. The weather here is nice one day and then horrid the next. I wouldn't say I am in a rush but at the same time I expected to be riding on the nice days by now.

Has anyone who has been waiting for their 650LT either received it or heard any updated news on where theirs is?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 02:37 PM

Same issue here. Mine has been sitting in a container in the transfer yard of the Port of Seattle for almost three weeks. One ordered before mine just arrived at the dealership so we are hoping one will bust out soon
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 02:44 PM

Where are you located?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 05:45 PM

I saw a white 2015 Vs. 650 12/31/14 in Anaheim, CA, but he was not going down from retail.

BMW did this with their F650 GS models. They would NEVER have any on the dealer floors to sell, so you would have to order them. The BMW EFI single cylinder had bad throttle lag (no midrange); so they didn't want a test bike around. Whereas the Vs. 650 has a 33" inseam (tall balls,) so they would rather you buy it before a test ride. Then of course, there are still (est.) thousands of the Green 2014 models around. Many here were looking at the 2015 model until we needed a bike now, and now we are ALL happy we moved when we had did!

The longer you wait, the more the dealer is going to jerk you around (if they can.) If that is what you really want, i'd get competitive bids (out-the-door prices only!) and delivery dates: at least 3 on paper if possible (just like an engineer buying capital for a company.) Then I'd march in the dealer and tell them to poot or get off the pot, lol. There is no freakin' shortage and the docks aren't standing still for a half year. Can you smell what I'm cookin'?

Ride safe!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 PM

This time around, I don't think the Kawi dealer is trying to jerk me around. The port slowdown out here went for months and it was bad - but the "catching up" part is almost worse. Ship after ship unloading in Seattle right at the same time that some bright bulbs decided it was a good time to re-do the whole system for moving freight by truck out of the port holding areas. The processing backlog for container freight to get out of holding in Seattle has been huge. And I hear it's even worse for some of the California ports (Oakland might be catching up for months, apparently)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:35 AM

Waiting myself. I have more confidence in my dealer: he wants to sell bikes. Always the lowest price for Kawasaki in my area. Talking with him yesterday its not just waiting on Versys - its everything, all models. Dealers have missed out on a lot of selling days due to the dock strike. They will have a ton of inventory once it gets sorted out. I figure they will price inventory to move it out.

Out
West
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandBike View Post
Where are you located?
I am in Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
I saw a white 2015 Vs. 650 12/31/14 in Anaheim, CA, but he was not going down from retail.

BMW did this with their F650 GS models. They would NEVER have any on the dealer floors to sell, so you would have to order them. The BMW EFI single cylinder had bad throttle lag (no midrange); so they didn't want a test bike around. Whereas the Vs. 650 has a 33" inseam (tall balls,) so they would rather you buy it before a test ride. Then of course, there are still (est.) thousands of the Green 2014 models around. Many here were looking at the 2015 model until we needed a bike now, and now we are ALL happy we moved when we had did!

The longer you wait, the more the dealer is going to jerk you around (if they can.) If that is what you really want, i'd get competitive bids (out-the-door prices only!) and delivery dates: at least 3 on paper if possible (just like an engineer buying capital for a company.) Then I'd march in the dealer and tell them to poot or get off the pot, lol. There is no freakin' shortage and the docks aren't standing still for a half year. Can you smell what I'm cookin'?

Ride safe!
It may be worth getting some competitive bids. I am getting so impatient I am starting to consider alternatives. Not that I want another bike, just that I want one now LOL. I was checking out the fj09 - in stock but I have read lot of mixed reviews on it. The ducati is still an option but I honestly really do not like the price. Well, I guess it really isn't an option then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandBike View Post
This time around, I don't think the Kawi dealer is trying to jerk me around. The port slowdown out here went for months and it was bad - but the "catching up" part is almost worse. Ship after ship unloading in Seattle right at the same time that some bright bulbs decided it was a good time to re-do the whole system for moving freight by truck out of the port holding areas. The processing backlog for container freight to get out of holding in Seattle has been huge. And I hear it's even worse for some of the California ports (Oakland might be catching up for months, apparently)
Yeah I agree. I do not think the dealer is jerking me around. I have bought 5 bikes from them in the past few years, not all street bikes, but they have always been good. They update me constantly. It is just this waiting...its so painful!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 05:29 PM

Colorado - great place to ride! But sadly your bike is probably coming through Seattle/Oakland/LA - and they all took a big hit with the slowdown. I feel your pain, It's 70 and sunny in the Seattle area and the waiting is killing me! I keep reminding myself that for a bike you'll ride for years and thousands of miles, a few more weeks right now isn't a lot. But it doesn't help much
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Well gang. This is where I must bid you all farewell. I spoke to the dealer and they told me they spoke to Kawasaki and they are quoting at least another 2-3 weeks before my versys arrives. I was fed up. I went to a nearby Yamaha dealer, test rode the fj09 and took one home the same day. It is an amazing bike! I am not knocking the versys at all. I patiently waited for over 2 months and was told I would have to wait even longer. It was just too much.

I wish you all happy and safe riding. Thank you for answering my questions and I hope you all enjoy your time riding.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 08:24 PM

Sorry about your wait and I hope you enjoy the FJ!

I'm curious why Yamaha is not affected though. The FJ09 is a new bike as well, did the shipments get into the country before the port fiasco?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

I honestly do not know. The Yamaha dealer had quite a few fj09s but perhaps he got them before that shipping dock nonsense. I put my deposit on the versys on February 10th. I have a week off and planned to ride. Having no bike wasn't a fun thought. I wanted a bike to ride so I went for the fj.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
I'm curious why Yamaha is not affected though. The FJ09 is a new bike as well, did the shipments get into the country before the port fiasco?
I think that's part of it as they did seem to get in before the Kaws. But it was sporadic. One dealer nearby had the V1K, but couldn't get the 650s. The other had two 650s, but couldn't get the V1K.

I was originally told that the bike should have been to my dealer if Feb, it got there in mid April.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 09:16 PM

I think the dealer is not leveling with you. Probably better that you found out and got to keep your money. My wife says: "everything happens for a reason!"

I'm no diplomat
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

and (after reading the cycle mags 'tests' on the FJ), we'll welcome you BACK after you decide to upgrade from the FJ to the V....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode