2010 Versys Mods? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
DBL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2010 Versys Mods?

I bought my '10 Versys last Wednesday on April 21st and already have 600 miles! Wow! What a fun bike! Tomorrow I will be taking it to the dealer for it's 600 mile checkup. I know there are some differences between the '10 and previous year models and want to get a taller windshield, a 16 tooth front sprocket, frame sliders or other crash bar type devices, and need a mount for my Givi trunk. Any info on these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

David

Last edited by DBL; 04-27-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 PM

I’ve had a Kawasaki “Tall” windshield on order for my 2010 for a while now but my dealer says they won’t be available until the end of May. AFAIK, there are no aftermarket windshields being made for it yet – but I’d love to know if you find one.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
there are some very interesting threads on changing the back sprocket, seems going down to 44tooth is a good plan to

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
DBL

Back in '05 I had an '04 VStrom DL650 and put a tall windshield on it from a company I can't remember the name of but they were looking for new models and would borrow the bike and give you a free windshield. I don't remember which company it was but know they were not in Texas so there was no way I was loaning them my bike. I had a KLR650 after selling the VStrom and they were looking for one to design a windshield for. I'll check my old emails and see if I can find them. Maybe we can find someone on here close to them with a '10 Versys they can loan to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
I’ve had a Kawasaki “Tall” windshield on order for my 2010 for a while now but my dealer says they won’t be available until the end of May. AFAIK, there are no aftermarket windshields being made for it yet – but I’d love to know if you find one.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
DBL

Yes, I heard about changing the rear sprocket but my goal is to correct the speedometer error and increase the bike's top end for long trips. I'll bet there is a combo using both front and rear of various sizes that will make the bike ideal. Running stock, my bike is already faster than anything I have ridden and it's barely even broken in. The acceleration reminds me of the powerband of a 2-stroke dirtbike from the '80's. Most of my previous bikes were Dual Sports with a single cylinder so this added power I have with my V is new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
there are some very interesting threads on changing the back sprocket, seems going down to 44tooth is a good plan to
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 03:40 AM

I talked with Givi at the beginning of April and was told to look for top case mount the first half of May. I hope it arrives soon as I have already received the top case, lol. I am also anticipating a larger windshield, just waiting to see who makes it first.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
DBL

I am almost positive the company is Cal-Sci. I'll check with them today and see if they are planning a windshield for the '10 Versys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL View Post
Back in '05 I had an '04 VStrom DL650 and put a tall windshield on it from a company I can't remember the name of but they were looking for new models and would borrow the bike and give you a free windshield. I don't remember which company it was but know they were not in Texas so there was no way I was loaning them my bike. I had a KLR650 after selling the VStrom and they were looking for one to design a windshield for. I'll check my old emails and see if I can find them. Maybe we can find someone on here close to them with a '10 Versys they can loan to them.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL View Post
... my goal is to correct the speedometer error and increase the bike's top end for long trips.
Have you checked your speedometer’s error? I ask because although I’ve read that the prior years were off quite a bit, my ’10 is pretty close to what I’m seeing on my GPS, e.g.,

65 MPH — Speedometer
63 MPH — GPS (constant speed, straight line, good satellite signals)

100.0 Miles — Odometer
101.5 Miles — GPS

Of course your desired Speed/RPM is more important... so you’ll probably still want to re-gear it. If you do (and it throws your Speed/Odometer way off) there are ways to calibrate it, e.g. http://www.sporttour.com/motorcycle_...eedohealer.htm

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
DBL

I checked it last night while riding home using a Tom Tom GPS. Not sure about the odometer but the speedometer appears to be the same as yours. I did notice it's worse the faster you go. At 80MPH on the speedometer, It was showing 75MPH on the GPS. So, 6% error seems to be about right. At least it's not as bad as my '08 DR650 was. On that bike 80MPH was only 72MPH on the GPS. I checked it with both the Tom Tom and an eTrex. My solution for that bike was replacing the factory speedometer with a Vapor computer.

Quote:
Have you checked your speedometer’s error? I ask because although I’ve read that the prior years were off quite a bit, my ’10 is pretty close to what I’m seeing on my GPS, e.g.,

65 MPH — Speedometer
63 MPH — GPS (constant speed, straight line, good satellite signals)

100.0 Miles — Odometer
101.5 Miles — GPS

Of course your desired Speed/RPM is more important... so you’ll probably still want to re-gear it. If you do (and it throws your Speed/Odometer way off) there are ways to calibrate it, e.g. http://www.sporttour.com/motorcycle_...eedohealer.htm
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 PM

DBL, you're on the right track. Read this:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4462
Last I heard, the new windscreens were still "In Developement" on the 2010

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
DBL

California Scientific Windshield

Just got off the phone with the guy at Cal-Sci and he was not aware of the difference between the '10 Versys and the older models, so was not working on designing a new one. After talking to me, he is going to work on making a windshield for the '10 Versys. He just needs to find a bike, which is apparently hard to do all over. I must have bought the last one last week.

Just curious, but how many other '10 owners are on here?

Thanks!

David
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:40 PM

2010 purchase

I purchased the 2010 last thursday and it is one fine machine for the $
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 07:20 PM

http://www.givi.co.uk/My-motorcycle/...=Versys-650-10

just found this, dont all thank me at once, lol!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
http://www.givi.co.uk/My-motorcycle/...=Versys-650-10

just found this, dont all thank me at once, lol!
Thank You -- Thank You -- Thank You

Nice looking engine guard too!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 09:59 PM

yup guard is nice, not keen on screen tbh, but if it works who cares, i prefer dark n stealthy, but al wait, hell i havent even got my bike ordered yet, lol, not keen on the silver boxes n what have you, silver bits looks tacky, deffo a future thing to be painted!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Thank You -- Thank You -- Thank You

Nice looking engine guard too!
It is nice. Wonder if it fits the 08-09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode