Test Rode Today! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Test Rode Today!

Hello, I am Kirk from Christiansburg Virginia. I have been looking at getting a dual sport motorcycle to go along with my Suzuki Boulevard C50. After much searching, I found the Versys instead of a dual sport. I wont be riding off road.

I had the good fortune to find a dealership who would let me test ride a Versys and I had a blast (2008 w/ 6000 miles). I took it out on the interstate and was running 75 mph with ease. I was impressed at the slow smooth engine at that speed compared to my cruiser. My C50 sounds like it is winding pretty good. I also didnt feel as beat up as I thought I would with a super small windshield.

My impressions of this bike are great. The Versys is much quicker and sporty than my C50. The only issue is the fact that I have an 8 year old daughter who loves to ride with me and the Versys is not really built for a kid. Looks like I am going to add the Versys to the garage and keep my cruiser for the all day rides and when I carry my daughter (due to backrest and other comforts).

Looks like a cozy bunch here and I hope to get my 2010 very soon. I like the new style or I would be all over some of the 09's all around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Hi and welcome capn kirk, you will end up like us my wife has a C50T and i love my orange Versys but she more into horse riding so can pick either bike at times to ride but still mostly head for the V for purely the fun factor and i a twisty riding junkie.

Keep us posted when you take the V home.

Cheers Phil
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 04:46 PM

Welcome; I have a V-Star 1300 as well as the Versys. The V-Star does not get as much "exercise" as it use to as the Kawi is usually first choice!!! :>)~

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 PM

welcome to the club!!! i also had a 2006 c50 traded it on a brand new blue 2009 versys and dont regret it one bit get that bike out in the twisties and you will be hooked!!!! good luck and enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

After reading around this forum, I found out about the Corbin seat with backrest for the passenger. Just might get something to work out for my daughter on our little outings!!

Does anybody with a 2010 have the Corbin seat to verify that they still fit? I have read that the 2010 has a seat change for the passenger and dont know if they changed the seat pan at all.

Thanks,

Kirk
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 02:57 PM

welcome to the group..i live in roanoke Va.....neighbor
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 03:11 PM

More than one way to skin a cat...

I too was worried about my little boy (10) slipping off the back of the Versys and did initially consider the Corbin with the backrest, but ended up getting a Givi E370 with the back pad instead. This was in part due to the fact that I found the stock seat to be more comfortable than most folks, that the Corbin seat and backrest are very pricey parts and that I really needed a place to carry things while commuting to/from work.

I was concerned the E370 was going to be too small, but it is plenty big enough to carry my lunch and also fits my Shoei XL and XXL helmets with a bit of room to spare. I recently added an AdsMoreLighting light kit for better visibility and I am quite happy with the complete package. I think the total cost (including the SW Motech rack) was still less than the Corbin seat alone. My son has also commented that it is quite comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0683_2.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	6308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684_2.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	6309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0685_2.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	6310   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0686_2.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	6311  

Last edited by GreenMeenie; 04-25-2010 at 03:41 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:50 PM

Capn Kirk! Picture me giving you the Spock's Vulcan V, "Live Long and Prosper!"

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Whohoo!! Just bought a 2010 Versys! Pick her up tomorrow. She is still in the crate at this time. Thanks for all the warm welcomes!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:45 PM

Cool, lucky you!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 05:43 PM

congradulations capt kirk on your new ride. I think greenmeenie's idea is A good possible alternative the top case with backrest.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMeenie View Post
I too was worried about my little boy (10) slipping off the back of the Versys and did initially consider the Corbin with the backrest, but ended up getting a Givi E370 with the back pad instead. This was in part due to the fact that I found the stock seat to be more comfortable than most folks, that the Corbin seat and backrest are very pricey parts and that I really needed a place to carry things while commuting to/from work.

I was concerned the E370 was going to be too small, but it is plenty big enough to carry my lunch and also fits my Shoei XL and XXL helmets with a bit of room to spare. I recently added an AdsMoreLighting light kit for better visibility and I am quite happy with the complete package. I think the total cost (including the SW Motech rack) was still less than the Corbin seat alone. My son has also commented that it is quite comfortable.
Where might I get a case like that online? Do they sell brackets to fit the 2010 yet? I seem to have seen a post the other day that said they dont fit the 2010 yet.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Where might I get a case like that online? Do they sell brackets to fit the 2010 yet? I seem to have seen a post the other day that said they dont fit the 2010 yet.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!
The 2010 V isnít listed on the U.S. site yet but it is on the U.K. site.

Go to http://www.givi.co.uk/My-motorcycle/...=Versys-650-10

I spoke to a couple of U.S. dealers today and their distributors said that the 2010 windshield would be available here in 3 or 4 weeks. I didnít ask about the luggage.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
The 2010 V isnít listed on the U.S. site yet but it is on the U.K. site.

Go to http://www.givi.co.uk/My-motorcycle/...=Versys-650-10

I spoke to a couple of U.S. dealers today and their distributors said that the 2010 windshield would be available here in 3 or 4 weeks. I didnít ask about the luggage.
Thanks for the link! I would love to see some photos of those installed on the 2010, not just closeups...
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the link! I would love to see some photos of those installed on the 2010, not just closeups...
These pic are the expanded thumbnails from that Givi page.

In the close up shot of the windshield it looks kinda high and when I read that it was over 8 inches taller than stock, I thought Iíd be cutting it down..., but when viewed from the side I think it might be perfect for me. You can see that while it might be 8Ē longer itís not really 8Ē taller ó With the backwards slope it appears to be only about 4Ē higher than stock and that should put it several inches below my level line-of-sight and a fair bit closer, so Iím guessing (and hoping) that itíll yield good visibility and a nice quite slipstream.

I also think the windshield looks good from the side. It flows with the bikeís lines nicely IMO.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
These pic are the expanded thumbnails from that Givi page.

In the close up shot of the windshield it looks kinda high and when I read that it was over 8 inches taller than stock, I thought Iíd be cutting it down..., but when viewed from the side I think it might be perfect for me. You can see that while it might be 8Ē longer itís not really 8Ē taller ó With the backwards slope it appears to be only about 4Ē higher than stock and that should put it several inches below my level line-of-sight and a fair bit closer, so Iím guessing (and hoping) that itíll yield good visibility and a nice quite slipstream.

I also think the windshield looks good from the side. It flows with the bikeís lines nicely IMO.
Thanks a bunch! I like the looks of the luggage!! I think if I can find the mounts and the trunk with the passenger pad, that would be a better way for me to go. I like the clean look but really prefer storage over looks.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:33 AM

versys

Welcome, I have been riding at 2005 Yamaha Venture for a while now and got a Versys last month. A 300 pound difference in riding.

Enjoy your new ride Cb
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Dang it! I went down to pick up the new bike and Melissa (my wife) saw it first.... A dime size dent in the top of the tank and some small chips down to the primer . After further and closer inspection, some of the front of the handlebar risers were scratched up (not really noticeable until you REALLY look for them).

Dealer is going to order a new tank and risers from Kawasaki and replace them. They said it was crate damage. Who knows? With the risers scratched, it probably was damaged in the crate. I am bummed but hopefully a week from now I will have this all behind me and have my new ride.

On a good note, the bike was more impressive in person than the photos online. They only had an 08 & 09 on the showroom floor but I bought the 2010 sight unseen since they said it was still in the crate. The 2010 underwent a cosmetic upgrade and new rubber motor mounts hence the reason I wanted the 2010. Hopefully they will make it right and all will be well. The sales guy really wanted me to take the bike home today while they talked with Kawasaki Monday to resolve the issue. I told them to keep it until it was in new condition. I have always heard that once you take possession of a new vehicle, its yours. Once yours, its hard to get a dealership fix things for free. Kawasaki could just say that they are not willing to fix the tank since it is cosmetic and I accepted the bike as is since I drove it home and then I would be stuck with it. If Kawasaki says no, the dealer will have to buy the new tank & risers. They said Kawasaki will take care of it...I hope they do!

Today was not a total loss, Melissa got her bike inspected while we were there and it was a beautiful and safe ride to the dealer 40 miles away.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Dang it! I went down to pick up the new bike and Melissa (my wife) saw it first.... A dime size dent in the top of the tank and some small chips down to the primer . ...

Dealer is going to order a new tank and risers from Kawasaki and replace them. They said it was crate damage. Who knows? ...
Interesting that the dealer didnít point it out to you... but then somehow knew that it was ďcrate damageĒ.

I know itís a bummer... but just be glad yíall discovered it before you left... or the dealer might have had a very different opinion of when & where it happened.

If itís going to be a long wait for the replacement parts, perhaps you could get the dealer to give you some kind of documentation acknowledging the situation & accepting responsibility for it, so you could take it in the meantime...

Good luck

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If itís going to be a long wait for the replacement parts, perhaps you could get the dealer to give you some kind of documentation acknowledging the situation & accepting responsibility for it, so you could take it in the meantime...
Good luck
I thought about that as well be decided to keep the power in my hands by being able to walk away from the deal if need be. I agree with you..Had I pulled off the lot and found it and went right back, I believe the dealership would have a whole different attitude as to where the damage occurred.

The service manager said that the parts will likely come from Georgia and be here in 2 to 3 days. He says it will take an hour to an hour and a half to change them out.

Trying to be patient and not let impulse make me take a bike that is damaged without compensation. The dealer probably runs into this from time to time and is used to getting new parts for machines fresh out of the crate. I know for a fact they would not have let it go to the showroom floor looking like that.

Fingers crossed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode