Another Versys in Seattle - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another Versys in Seattle

Another Seattle-ite checking in. Picked up a new 2014 Versys 2 weeks ago. Its my second bike and the last one went away over a decade ago. Commuting rain or shine for the past two weeks. Its bone stock now but I hope to set it up for touring and light adventure duty as soon a financially feasible.

I'm looking for suggestions for easy forest service roads in the area that a stock Versys with a newish rider should be able to handle so if you've got suggestions lay them on me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 11:14 PM

Yeah there's tons of logging/service roads in your area. Go have fun! Bring a gps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 11:59 PM

Tinkum Rd at exit 42 off I-90 is not bad. There is a water crossing on that that can be interesting depending on time of year. On the other side of I-90 north of North Bend, SE Middle Fork Rd is fun but there can be plenty of large pot holes on that which is not so much fun. Here is a video of me and some friends on those roads back when I just got my Versys and I was a complete off road virgin (and so was one of the friends).
No Video

There are plenty of nice forest roads on the Olympic Peninsula that are pretty smooth and I plan to explore those some more when the weather gets a bit more predictable. There was a mountain top I got to one day on the KLX but it was completely covered in clouds so I couldn't see a thing. Plan on going back there on the Versys on a clear day as I think the views will be amazing. Along the northern portion of the Olympics there is Obstruction Pt Rd (off of Hurrincane Ridge) and Deer Park Rd.
No Video

To the north there is always the Mountain Loop Highway that goes to Darrington. That is pretty mild with not too many potholes but I did it last week and the last section was a mud bath. Thankfully I was on the KLX else I would've been ****ting my pants. In the summer that is an easy road and there are plenty more forest roads around that are usually smooth. I plan on exploring FS17/18 later this year on the Versys. Haven't done them yet but from what I can tell they are doable on the V. Great views of Mt. Baker from up there.

To the east of Darrington there are nice easy roads. I did this one last year and it was super easy with stunning views up top.
No Video

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Excellent, thanks for the tips. I have in-laws up near Concrete on the Concrete Sauk Valley road. I was planning on taking the Versys up there via some blue highways to the Mountain Loop Highway into Darrington. There are tons of little roads up there to explore, I just don't want to get in over my head. At least not yet!

I'm already thinking about the next bike, something more dual-sport oriented. All pipe dreams at the moment but the KLX is in the running as is the KLR. I would like to get something for the WaBDR. I just can't decide if I want something for long distance or something light and easier to ride.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzky View Post
...I would like to get something for the WaBDR. I just can't decide if I want something for long distance or something light and easier to ride.
Keep the V for 'long-distance', then buy something LIGHT for off-road!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
welcome if you ever come south to portland hit me up

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode