New guy...Thinking about a new Versys.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New guy...Thinking about a new Versys..

Hey all, new guy from Northwest Indiana here....just trying to learn and get a feel for the Versys as I am strongly contemplating getting a new 2015 and selling my Triumph Tiger 800. My local Triumph dealer is no longer a franchise and i am concerned about service and such and just kind of ticked about it in general so I am probably going back to a Japanese bike

The new bike really ticks all the boxes for me and the price is good.....I just wish I could ride one to see for myself how well the vibes have been tamed, etc. but I am very interested in checking one out.

Do your best to convince me, haha

Going to do some research here so I am happy to join

Last edited by CRFan1; 04-07-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The current issues of Rider, Motorcyclist, and Motorcycle Consumer News all speak very favorably of the 2015 Versys. In general, the Versys is an almost bullet proof ride with decent ergonomics, handling, brakes and fuel mileage. It isn't a rocket ship, but it wasn't meant to be. It's a very good all round riding machine that doesn't pretend to be something it isn't (in my opinion of course).

However, if you need to be convinced by us, perhaps it isn't what you're looking after all. Read reviews, take a test ride, and you shold be able to convince yourself.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
IF the 2015 was the SAME as my '08 and '09 Vs - I would say "GO for it!", but the '15 is 'mo-betta'!!!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
The current issues of Rider, Motorcyclist, and Motorcycle Consumer News all speak very favorably of the 2015 Versys. In general, the Versys is an almost bullet proof ride with decent ergonomics, handling, brakes and fuel mileage. It isn't a rocket ship, but it wasn't meant to be. It's a very good all round riding machine that doesn't pretend to be something it isn't (in my opinion of course).

However, if you need to be convinced by us, perhaps it isn't what you're looking after all. Read reviews, take a test ride, and you shold be able to convince yourself.
Well...its not that I am looking for convincing I guess....Just want to hear opions from the guys who actually own and ride them I appreciate your opinion for sure.

I am taking the tiger 800 on a 5 day trip to the smokey mountains in 2 weeks and after that, I will probably put it up for sale and go check out a 2015 (in white, haha).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
IF the 2015 was the SAME as my '08 and '09 Vs - I would say "GO for it!", but the '15 is 'mo-betta'!!!

Thanks!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
selling my Triumph Tiger 800.

The new bike really ticks all the boxes for me and the price is good.....I just wish I could ride one to see for myself how well the vibes have been tamed, etc. but I am very interested in checking one out.

Do your best to convince me, haha

Going to do some research here so I am happy to join
I know you want personal experience... alas... my '15 LT gets delivered this Saturday.

I spent MONTHS researching this. I'll report back once I've had a chance to drive.... The vibes are something I can confirm one way or the other... Whether it makes my hands numb, can see through the side view mirrors on the highway, etc... are not as relative as something like "will it have enough power or soul?" .

Last edited by Apollo12227; 04-07-2015 at 11:02 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
I know you want personal experience... alas... my '15 LT gets delivered this Saturday.

I spent MONTHS researching this. I'll report back once I've had a chance to drive.... The vibes are something I can confirm one way or the other... Whether it makes my hands numb, can see through the side view mirrors on the highway, etc... are not as relative as something like "will it have enough power or soul?" .
Thank you and I would appreciate the feedback! The power aspect is one thing I am curious about but not overly concerned about either.....I have had everything from big bikes to 600's in my 30 years of riding and I honestly prefer the middleweights and at the ripe age of 50 I am more about comfort and utility etc.

I look forward to your feedback and congrats on the purchase!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Just talked to my local dealer and they not only have a new 2015 Versys 650 (non LT) in stock but it is set up as a demo! I will be there on Saturday at 9am to take it for a ride and hopefully be able to make a decision.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 10:40 PM

I think you should buy my 2009 instead
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Just talked to my local dealer and they not only have a new 2015 Versys 650 (non LT) in stock but it is set up as a demo! I will be there on Saturday at 9am to take it for a ride and hopefully be able to make a decision.
Hahah nice. My appointment for picking up my '15 versys is at 9am. We'll both be riding! I'll report back when I get her home, we'll compare notes.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 12:58 AM

Coming from someone who just bought one after doing lots of research as many others have stated; you just can't miss with this bike. My first bike was a Yamaha R6, and even though the Vs has only half the rated HP as the R6, I don't find it to be an issue. It's got plenty of torque to get you there. I believe it'll do the 1/4 mile in 12.9; that's plenty fast, while still getting 50+ mpg easily. I entertained picking up a leftover 2014 for about $1500 cheaper, but after seeing the lengthy list of upgrades and styling changes between the 14 and 15 and of course the reviews...it was a no-brainer for me.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Hahah nice. My appointment for picking up my '15 versys is at 9am. We'll both be riding! I'll report back when I get her home, we'll compare notes.
Haha! You got it! Oh and being that you are on Eastern time, you will be riding first, lol.

Last edited by CRFan1; 04-09-2015 at 08:29 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1900 View Post
Coming from someone who just bought one after doing lots of research as many others have stated; you just can't miss with this bike. My first bike was a Yamaha R6, and even though the Vs has only half the rated HP as the R6, I don't find it to be an issue. It's got plenty of torque to get you there. I believe it'll do the 1/4 mile in 12.9; that's plenty fast, while still getting 50+ mpg easily. I entertained picking up a leftover 2014 for about $1500 cheaper, but after seeing the lengthy list of upgrades and styling changes between the 14 and 15 and of course the reviews...it was a no-brainer for me.

Good to hear and thanks for the info......this is one of my concerns. Being that I will be riding one on Saturday I hope I can make an informed decision but I have the feeling I will really like it.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 11:48 PM

Buy it. You will love it.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 07:25 AM

ha, im picking my new versys up on Saturday too! looks like a few of us will be on new versys, although mine is a leftover 2013, mostly because I wanted the blue, partly because of the price.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
DON'T ride it UNLESS you're prepared to buy one....

GREAT bikes!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode