Dupont teflon multi-use in Canada - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post Dupont teflon multi-use in Canada

Hi fellow V riders,

I'm a new V owner (and a newbie biker too) and glad this forum exists...I'll be using it a lot

I have read a lot on here about chain lubing and the Dupont teflon multi-use seems to be very popular. Unfortunately I can't find it in Eastern Canada (New Brunswick - we don't have Lowes or Ace Hardware here that I'm aware of).

Anyone know how I could get this magical chemical? I've found a non-aerisol version on eBay but it would cost over $30 to ship it here...not gonna happen.

Any help would be appreciated. Happy riding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
they carry it at cycle gear stores but i did't see it on thier website www.cyclegear.com

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

No Cycle Gear stores here either (I don't live in the sticks...really). Shipping to Canada is $25.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 05:58 PM

Can't get it here in Canader. I wrote Dupont to ask. IIRC, you can get it in the US, but if you buy it online, because it's aeorsol, it has to go UPS, which means added expense.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

Last edited by Red Herring; 04-22-2010 at 10:16 AM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Cool, thx Red. Any close alternatives that you're aware of. I guess I"ll check out my local cycle dealers. I want something that doesn't collect grime and doesn't spin off.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:47 PM

Go in on a group buy with your buddies up there in order to share the shipping costs. That or a run to the states to get some
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 02:00 PM

Smile Try this stuff available from Lee Valley: Boeshield T9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
Hi fellow V riders,

I'm a new V owner (and a newbie biker too) and glad this forum exists...I'll be using it a lot

I have read a lot on here about chain lubing and the Dupont teflon multi-use seems to be very popular. Unfortunately I can't find it in Eastern Canada (New Brunswick - we don't have Lowes or Ace Hardware here that I'm aware of).

Anyone know how I could get this magical chemical? I've found a non-aerisol version on eBay but it would cost over $30 to ship it here...not gonna happen.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

That looks like good stuff Yarne...do you use it? A little pricey but should last a while.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 05:51 PM

he Boeshield website...

"For applications such as bicycle chains apply by drip or dipping, wipe off the excess, and allow to set at least 2 hours, preferably over night. Frequency of reapplication will depend on riding extent and conditions, as well as method of cleaning after use. Typically, road cyclists get over 300 miles (500Km) per application in good weather. In wet weather reduce that by half. For off road riding reduce distance by half again for reapplication."

Does not seem like it would stand up well enought for motorcycle use.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 PM

I contacted Dupont and their Canadian distributor is in Mississauga, ON.(suburb of Toronto). Their number is 905-602-6022. I called and they will sell only in cases of six. Their cost on a case is $59.29 plus tax. This is the Dupont Teflon Chain Lube. They also carry the multi use product but why buy it if you plan to lube your chain?

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Maybe I'll buy a case...I'll use it eventually. Did they say what the cost is to ship it within Canada?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 PM

I didn't ask but you can call and find out. Talk to Bruno. I figured I'd buy a case the next time I run down to Toronto.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Rub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post
I contacted Dupont and their Canadian distributor is in Mississauga, ON.(suburb of Toronto). Their number is 905-602-6022. I called and they will sell only in cases of six. Their cost on a case is $59.29 plus tax. This is the Dupont Teflon Chain Lube. They also carry the multi use product but why buy it if you plan to lube your chain?
According to Web Bike World, Dupont Multi-Use and Dupont Chain Saver are the same product.... Did the distributor say chain lube or chain saver? Could be different products.

Rub
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Rub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post

True Value stores are listed as carrying the product - stateside at least.... I searched and found a True Value store in St. Andrews NB. You might want to give them a call to see if they carry it.

St. Andrews True Value Hardware
189 Water Street
ST ANDREWS, NB
E5B 1A9

506 529 3158

Rub
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:37 AM

Dupont does make a Teflon Chain Saver product (see the attached link) but I don't know if it's available in a spray can. I also don't know if it's the same product in a different can. Rather than fuss about this topic I think the Multi Use Teflon spray is probably the way to go here. If you live in Canada just call the Canadian distributor at 905-602-6022 and they will answer all your questions.

http://www2.dupont.com/Products_and_...flon_lubs.html

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Rub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post
Dupont does make a Teflon Chain Saver product (see the attached link) but I don't know if it's available in a spray can. I also don't know if it's the same product in a different can. Rather than fuss about this topic I think the Multi Use Teflon spray is probably the way to go here. If you live in Canada just call the Canadian distributor at 905-602-6022 and they will answer all your questions.

http://www2.dupont.com/Products_and_...flon_lubs.html
It's the same product with a different label.

Rub
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
he Boeshield website...

"For applications such as bicycle chains apply by drip or dipping, wipe off the excess, and allow to set at least 2 hours, preferably over night. Frequency of reapplication will depend on riding extent and conditions, as well as method of cleaning after use. Typically, road cyclists get over 300 miles (500Km) per application in good weather. In wet weather reduce that by half. For off road riding reduce distance by half again for reapplication."

Does not seem like it would stand up well enought for motorcycle use.
I had planned on using this product since it was available locally and was a dry wax type protectant similar in description to the Dupont stuff...however, you could be right, it may not stand up for motorcycle use. Besides, 500K is not a generous interval for lubing a chain. I'll see if I can get a group buy together with some riding buddies and order the Dupont 6 pack. Thanks for the heads up!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the True Value tip Rub. Would be a nice day ride from here too

Take the long way home
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 06:55 AM
cro

Were you able to get any of the Dupont spray at the True Value in St. Andrews? I'd like to get my hands on some of this stuff as well, sounds like it works well.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

I didn't try yet actually. I ended up picking up some stuff locally that the dealer suggested...but I'm not completely happy with it. I'm still interested in the Dupont stuff. I may be heading down to Atlanticade in St. Andrews so will check it out then.

Take the long way home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
canada, chain, dupont, lube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode