Relatively New. Planning First Trip in early summer. Learning all I Can! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Relatively New. Planning First Trip in early summer. Learning all I Can!

From Chicago. Picked up my V in June last year. I've been researching mods and additions (and saving) for about a year now. I've also been planning a two week trip out west for about 6 months with my brother.

Looking forward to picking up some tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 09:31 PM

Besides the factory tools, about all you need is stuff to plug a flat on the road.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Besides the factory tools, about all you need is stuff to plug a flat on the road.
I'm filling mine with Ride On and taking a phone. If the hole is so big that the Ride On doesn't seal it, I doubt a patch would either.

Besides a blowout, the other thing that might leave you hangin is a snapped clutch cable. Don't know if they are a problem on this bike, but they are on many. Carrying a spare wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to do.

To the OP, "out west" is kinda vague. Parts are wet, parts are cold, parts are desert, etc. People deal with that stuff differently. I prefer to wear a riding suit that is waterproof and has good ventilation and put the jacket liner in a bag if I need it. I'm not one for stopping to change clothes every time the climate changes a little, but many do.

The guys here will probably be upset if you don't mollycoddle the chain after every ride. If you're into that, make room for a Grunge Brush, rags, lube etc.

Even if you have a GPS, maps would probably be a good idea. Never know when the electronics are going to give up the ghost.

Take a camera and get some pics to go along with the stories you're going to tell us when you get back.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I imagine there are as many opinions as there are members of the forum. You can travel light or you can bring the kitchen sink and you can pack every imaginable spare, though if you do you won't need a single one. IMHO it depends largely on how much territory you intend to cover in the time you'll give yourself. If you're going to cover long distances every day then gear for all expected conditions makes sense so you won't have to wait out a storm for instance. Same for spares (who can say which ones precisely) so you don't have to locate a dealership but can do a quick roadside fix. Camping gear or credit cards? Credit cards take up much less space. First and foremost don't make the trip a Bataan Death March; have a good sense of what you can do in a day - day after day - and you should have a good trip.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 04-07-2015 at 01:00 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips! Definitely planning on bringing flat fix gear and cables. I've been told these are items that don't take up much space/weight and can save a trip.

The trip plan:
Leaving from Chicago. Heading west through South Dakota (Badlands, Black hills, Mt Rushmore, Deadwood, Spearfish Canyon, Devils Tower, Bighorn) into Wyoming (Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Hwy) and into Yellowstone. We'll probably spend a day or two at Yellowstone then head up to Glacier National Park (Road to the Sun) which is kindof the climax of the trip.

After Glacier, the plan is to head south to the Bonneville Salt Flats, Moab... The list goes on. Tentatively, a 5,500 mile trip over two weeks. Mostely camping with a few hotels to do laundry and recoup. Going with my brother who's done trips like this before so he has experience and good advice on what to bring and what not to but he rides a '09 Triumph Sp Triple. Quite different rides, indeed.

Definitely planning on picking up a GoPro. And a few more accessories. Still deciding on:
1. Luggage - Looking at Sw Motech Trax 37L panniers (New Adv Series won't be available until Q4 of 2015 in the US ) Also looking at getting some Dry bags. I'm diggin the Mosko bags..
2. Device mounts - I've heard RAM Mounts are the best, but I dont trust the X-Grip. I plan on using my phone for GPS/map mostly. Though im not against maps.
3. Camping Gear - I have a decent amount of stuff from previous trips before I started riding, but now that size is and packability are more of an issue, looking to swap a few things.
4. Tires - Want something with some more tread than the OEM dunlops for dirt roads, but with 5,500m smooth highway riding is also important. Tips here are also appreciated!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:08 PM

If you plan on doing any camping in Yellowstone you probably need to get reservations if it is not too late already.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:51 PM

I've a friend who is an off road instructor who is planning a round the world trip next year and he LOVES his Mosko bags. He is an evangelist for them now

I've got RAM mounts all over my bike for camera's and GPS but I've never used the suction mounts. I've never heard anyone having an issue with them but whatever type of mount you use always use a tether just in case. Plenty of my friends have lost $300 GoPro's that way.

Tires...expect all kinds of opinions here but on the advice of a former member here I've always used Avon Distanzia's. Work great on the road, maybe 10% off road rated? so fine for light use, and last reasonably well. I think I get 8000 miles out of the rear but I'm pretty light on the throttle.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:30 PM

These are the things I take:
  1. Chain cleaning and lube kit. Mostly for lubing but you never now when you will need to clean it too.
  2. Rain Gear
  3. Tire patching kit
  4. Air pump / CO2 bottles.
  5. First Aid kit
  6. Emergency foil blanket
  7. Hand warmers
  8. Fire starter
  9. Multi tool (Swiss army knife or similar)
  10. Zip ties
  11. Bike's tool set
  12. Wet wipes
  13. Some paper towels
  14. AAA motorcycle road assistance

For everything else I find a Walmart.

Also, my personal preference is to take a fire arm with me and depending which area I'm riding on also a bottle of bear repellent.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift025 View Post
...The trip plan:
...We'll probably spend a day or two at Yellowstone then head up to Glacier National Park (Road to the Sun) which is kind of the climax of the trip....
Look at your Montana map at the east end of Glacier, to St Mary. Hwy 89 going S to East Glacier is FABULOUS, just watch for cattle as it's 'open range'.

I've camped along it JUST so I get to ride it morning AND night after "Going-to-the-Sun"!!!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode