Versys versus Mutilstrada - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys versus Mutilstrada

Hiya all, yes, I know yet another "which bike should I buy' thread and this is like saying should I get the Malibu or the Alfa but I'm thinking the $9999. for the 07 leftover Ducati would bit thrill me more than a new 09 V for 4700. And that's after not really riding mch in 25+ years even though I've had 8=9 bikes in the past 12 of those(and a KLX400 now).

I even toyed with the idea of a clean 9k mile R1000/7 from 1978 at alocal stealer here to get back in the saddle under the old familiar. But I think new is a no brainer and the V seems like a good stepping stone at least.

Thoughts? I used to race all types of dirt and even went to AMI in the Ford era...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 11:25 AM

Maitenance and parts are going to be a lot more on the Duck.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 11:47 AM

Yeah, but you'll get a LOT of really neat side benefits, like:

1. People think you're rich, even if you still wear jeans and a flannel shirt.
2. Vacuous girls with large breasts will swarm you, even if you have bad breath.
3. You're probably pretty much stuck with a red bike.
4. Those wonderful finished welds on the frame and hand fitted parts.
6. You can hang out on the Ducati forums and be known as a DUCATISTA!
5. Best of all, you'll have a really cool bike, in spite of all of the above.

It's sad enough I have to ride a V in jeans and flannels and have bad breath, but I DO have a great bike and lots of fun. I also really wanted a Porsche years ago, but all I had was VW's and a lot of cheap thrills.

Go with your heart, you cannot lose.

V-Zee

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 PM

Suggested list for the Duc is about 12K new. Versys look like a better deal. However, the Duc is very tempting.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:43 PM

I disagree about the coolness of the V versus the Duc. About two weeks ago I was running some errands in the bike when I came across two very young and good looking girls riding on small displacement sport bikes. I think one was a Ninja 500 and the other was a GS 500 F. Not that I was paying much attention to what the girls were riding. I pass them on a red light and went my way to a store to pick up something. On my way out I found the two girls waiting outside (yes they followed me) by my versys. They say hi and start asking questions about the bike. I was all feeling pretty good when I realized I must have been delusional for thinking they were interested in me. This proves the point the Versys does not need a fancy nameplate to be a a cool bike.

In the end the girls ran away as soon as they realized the rider of the cool bike was old enough to be their father.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 PM

I think you better pay the extra money and get the Ducati. The Kawasaki is about value, not so much glitz. I don't believe any dealer is selling a new 09 for $4700. That's a crazy price!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Element; 04-20-2010 at 02:23 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:43 PM
naz

the problem with the multistrada 620 is that if you buy it a versys will blow you in every turn and straight line...so think about it twice
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. The Duck for all the above reasons, and it's a 1100, not sure they made a 620 Multi.

I'm about the same distance from either dealer too so it's the same schlepp for repairs etc.

Conversely, te only Duck I ever rode was 30+ yrs ago...and dealers are not too fond of test rides. I always thought to eliminate joy riding tire kickers, charge a fee for a test ride before they make a deposit for a sale. I often wanted to do that on a vette or some exotic to see if I fit the thing before committing-kinda like a 3rd date...that way if I walk away, the seller has $20-50 in his pocket for the 5 miles on the odometer. Maybe I should ask BHO if I could become the used vehicle czar..!

Last edited by houseofcharm; 04-20-2010 at 03:24 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 03:25 PM

I think you should ride a Triumph Tiger before you pull the trigger. And the BMW GS, as well to compare apples to apples.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

And there' scads of 09's around for 4999. I DID see one for 4700. a couple days ago but it's gone-best deal out there no doubt.

I've read a couple comparos on the Trump v. Multi and it's a close race with the Trump being mor relaxed-maybe what I need in my middle ages...
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 05:57 PM

Go over to the Ducati.ms forum and ask the same question....

I own both. If you can afford the Duc, buy one. Your question is kind of like "Should I buy a Mustang, or should I buy a Ferrari?" An 1100 Duc is all torque and isn't particularly revvy. You'll probably wind up with tickets, though. You'll be cruising along and then look down and realize you're doing 95 when you thought you were doing about 70. You will never want for power.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:27 PM

The Streetfighter has to be a real animal. What? 155 HP at the wheel? Multistrada is probably no slouch either. Middle age bikes, hmm.....probably not, even if you're an ex-racer.

Girls??? If you're middle age, you'll probably need Ricardo Montalban looks to go with the Ducati in order to get the young girls, anyway.

V-Zee
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Mantalban? I feel about as alive these days although he's a bit stiffer.

Yeah, Stang or vette, or perhaps base vette v. 456 Ferrari. Versysis the logical mr Spock choice and the Duke would satisfy the itch in me better although may be more than I need. If they' only offer test rides.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 11:05 PM

If you are going Duc, get a Hyper-Motard 1100. Let me say this though, it comes with a reputation that you need to ride it like you stole it. Or everyone will be laughing at you, like a new kid on a liter bike at the track stopping in the turns.

A few months ago I had $12k in cash to buy a new bike. I looked at everything, From Aprilia's to Yamahas. I went back to one of the funniest bikes I have ever owned, another Versys. And let me tell you when I am in AR grinding the peg feelers off in the turns, you cant wipe the grin off my face. And all this for around $5k. I could not be happier, and I have owned everything from a Ninja 250 to a Goldwing, with several late model Liter sport bikes in the mix.

But as someone else stated follow your heart, that way you will always be happy.

Good luck, and even if you dont go Versys come back and show us the new bike.

Todd
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 11:36 PM

Good luck on that choice...If I had the denaro I would go for the 010 Multi...Now that would be something to uh, quack about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0802aflacduck.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	6255  

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 06:31 AM

QUICK REMINDER !!!!!!

The 'Ducati'/ 'Aprilia'/ 'BMW' choice will be a whole heck of a lot more costly to operate; be it parts, labor, or accessories. (check the maintenance schedules too).
But if that's not an issue.........FOLLOW YOUR HEART!

I did.....Love my "V" !

Be well.
ride safe.
Peace.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

seems like you meet the nicest people on a versys.

The left brain could be the vistor here and pocket the other 4-5k, or a nice old Gibson jazz guitar as well. I remember when I was a kid in the 60s, my dad gave my mom a choice-a Cadillac only or a Tbird ragtop + a boat-she tooh the tbird and that was the 1st car I ever drove(on their laps albeit).

Anyone ever sell a versys? Should be fairly easy if I decide to jump up to the duck.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 08:42 AM

Someone listed a sweet deal on a 08 in Illinois, $4500 including a 5 year warranty!

My Album:
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
The Streetfighter has to be a real animal. What? 155 HP at the wheel? Multistrada is probably no slouch either. Middle age bikes, hmm.....probably not, even if you're an ex-racer.

Girls??? If you're middle age, you'll probably need Ricardo Montalban looks to go with the Ducati in order to get the young girls, anyway.

V-Zee
I'm not middle aged. I'm 67.

They didn't have anything like this when I was young. If they did, I probably wouldn't have made it to the present. It's a handful, and isn't really fun around town. That's where the Versys comes in handy.

It's fairly light, around 370 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0018_002.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	6258  

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:48 AM

I've ridden a buddy's Multistrada quite a bit and absolutely love it. The bike is darn near perfect in every aspect for me but I ride too much to be able to afford the maintenance needed.

As said earlier, if you can afford the initial cost and scheduled maintenance......I'd go for it.
Me personally I'd rather have several low maintenance bikes that fit's my needs on how I feel for the day.

Good luck with your decision, keep us posted on your outcome.

BTW: The Versys in my book is the best bike going when it come to value......wonderful motorcycle for the $$$.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode