New Member - considering purchasing a LT650, Need feedback pls - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Member - considering purchasing a LT650, Need feedback pls

Greetings,

I am an experienced rider and had bikes since I was a kid. I currently am selling my Honda vtx1800 for a commuter bike. I just do not enjoy traffic on that big beast of a bike. I really like the versys 650LT, but the ducati hyperstrada specs caught my eye. Now I am battling in my mind over the two. I was curious if anyone had thoughts on them both. I would commute back and forth to work which is about 30 miles one way. I would also like to take a ride through the mountains here on weekends every now and then. Finally, I would like to take the misses out for coffee or something similar once in a while. She really doesn't like to ride much so it is not a strong factor. I just wanted to make sure I mentioned all my thoughts.

I have no experience with Kawasaki. I have owned all Hondas and mostly cruiser style bikes, except for one. I did not like Hondas 700 though so that was out of the question. Suzukis vstrom was not attractive to me. I liked the 110hp of the ducati, but did not like the cost of service. The weight is about the same on both bikes.

If you had the choice, which would you pick? I appreciate your feedback - this is a struggle for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, not realy in my opinion camparing apples for apples comparing versys with the duke. have you test rode a versys?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I test rode both. The ducati was definitely a quicker bike. The versys felt a little laggy to me, but to be fair, I am used to my 1800. I was taking it easy but the dealer told me to take the versys back out and twist it up, so I did. It was much better that second trip out. It is true, they aren't really comparable but for me they are similar in weight and that was a factor. The 1800 is over 800lbs. I wanted something light, agile but comfy. Both fit that. I think I almost need validation that the ducati is a waste of money. I really like the versys and think I would be happy. I just have to get the other one out of my mind. Its that weight and hp ratio that has me wanting it. 110hp to the same weight against the 69hp on the versys. I had about 95-100 on the vtx. I don't even know why that is important to be honest. Im not interested in the speed as much as knowing its there if I want it. I HATE traffic and the drivers here and would like to be able to zip around them if needed.

I guess that leads me to - is the versys quick enough in your opinion?

Again, thank you very much for responding.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

I will also add that I already bought the versys LT but it isn't in yet. I think that is part of the problem. All I can do is look on the internet and be swayed. I bet if I was out on it right now I wouldn't look back. Maybe I am just out of my comfort zone a bit with it and am hoping I made the right choice. I can still change and pick something else until I take possession.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

They have a top speed of 190kph but is really designed to be most effective in the 80 to 120kph range or 50 mph to 75mph which is great for twisty roads. I ride with guys with super sports bikes and they struggle to keep up in acute twistys especially the bigger ones like zx 14 or busa, have passed a r1 around a hair pin corner of track.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Thinking about it, I got an 08 v so you got 7 more hp than I have. Ive got 138hp ninja 1000 to but there are some roads I would prefer the v anyday
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

i have been reading through the forums and there is a lot of love for this bike. I am feeling much better about my choice already. Keep the feedback coming if you will and thank you all!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 06:07 PM

I would be happy with either but in the long run I believe the Versus would be less costly to maintain, operate and insure but almost as enjoyable to own. The Versus' horsepower is more than adequate for commuting and even two up riding unless the bike is weighted down with luggage and the kitchen sink. I've found over the years that big horsepower just gets me into trouble and results in the odd traffic ticket. My two cents.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

I agree arion. I may be asking for a ticket. I also like the cost of the versys over the ducati. There is a lot i can do with the spare change!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 08:27 PM

i made my choice the kawi! had a 2010 also. buy it and don't look back! duks are too expensive to maintain and keep. ride mine through Manila traffic it's like a big bicycle turns on a dime, can crawl if need be. and can throw on a burst of speed with the best of them. the 2015 is better than the 2010, brakes better! perfect bike here for the roads we have...hc
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 08:59 PM

Welcome

Hi mace and welcome. I ride a 2008 Honda Shadow 750 and my wife's 2008 Versys. I can't speak to the Ducati, but between the Shadow and the Versys, I will pick the Versys every time (if the wife isn't riding that day and I ask the appropriate permission ) It's just more agile and fun to ride.

If your primary goal is solo commuting, I believe the 650 Versys is a great choice. But only you can make that decision, based what's important to you. (i.e.: insurance and maintenance costs)

I'm actually seriously considering selling or trading in the Shadow and getting a 2015 650 LT myself.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 11:45 PM

needs to be ridden totally different from the VTX. Keep that little versys motor wound up...5000 to 8000 rpm. When you get that front wheel skipping you will know you are having fun. Ducati is an awesome bike though...how many Versys can you buy for the price of the Duc?

I'm no diplomat
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I hate to admit it but I didn't understand the need to keep rpms up. I am used to just hitting it and it goes with the vtx. I cant wait to get mine though and ride it. I have been reading everyones experiences in the forums and I have to admit I am excited. I do have a lot to learn though and hope everyone is patient with me
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

I'm happy w/ the power AND the power-delivery from the V's 650 PTwin!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 06:48 PM

Garage
Sounds like you have your doubts about the Versys. I had a 2013 from new. I liked the bike, but it wasn't everything. I spent a lot of money getting it right, but it still was 100%. No bike is. In the end I sold it. I couldn't see my wife and I doing long trips on it. Once a month to the coffee shop was enough. It was too cramped. The 1000 is on the cards for next year. I do agree, as a single commuter it's a great bike. Flickable, quick enough & cheap to run. I would love to have both the V's in my shed, maybe one day. I'd take the Ducati out again or the V 1000, just to be sure.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 05:37 PM

A newbie here and I haven't even taken delivery yet, but a couple of thoughts played into my Versys 650 decision.

1) the money saved over some others, like the Ducati, goes a long way toward accessories and gas
2) under the "what if" category it will likely be easier to get service on a road trip in a cheaper and more timely manner with a Kawasaki compared to a Ducati or KTM, for instance.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandBike View Post
2) under the "what if" category it will likely be easier to get service on a road trip in a cheaper and more timely manner with a Kawasaki compared to a Ducati or KTM, for instance.
You PROBABLY will NOT need 'service on a road trip' when you ride your Versys!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

I am reading that a lot of people are receiving their new 2015s and im super jelly! I am still waiting for mine to come in...ugh!!!! I cant take it LOL.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mace View Post
I will also add that I already bought the versys LT but it isn't in yet. I think that is part of the problem. All I can do is look on the internet and be swayed. I bet if I was out on it right now I wouldn't look back. Maybe I am just out of my comfort zone a bit with it and am hoping I made the right choice. I can still change and pick something else until I take possession.
Still waiting on delivery of my LT... You go white or green? I can't wait... Like a kid waiting for Xmas and it's only January.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My last street ride was a Honda CBR929. So, coming off a highperformance sportbike to the Versys, I was happy with the power. It has plenty. The 929 was overkill on the street.

The Ducati Hyperstrada, and moreso the Multistrada, also appealed to me. But, the cost to purchase was a lot more. Maintenance more frequent, etc., so I got the Kawi.

I've been really happy with my V. Nice ergos, hard luggage, all day comfort. And still handles sporty enough to have fun on the twisty backroads! I'm currently getting the springs replaced with the Hyperpro lowering springs, and I have a set of Pirelli Angle GTs to spoon on. I think that will add to the enjoyment factor even more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode