New member 2012 KLE650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New member 2012 KLE650

Hello there awesome motorist,

Today is my first day on the forum and this is my first post, so yey! or yay?.
I am from Seattle, WA where it does not rain enough to make it to the top 10 wettest places in the US. I use my bike usually for commuting, and before the versys I had a roaring wild monster of absolute might and power; Yamaha v-star 1100.
I got a little tired of the light weight of the Yamaha, and decided to go for something more commuter friendly. Few days ago, I found this 2012 kle650 online with less than 6k miles on it for $4500 so after much convincing of my wife and few chores here and there, I bought it!
I thought, well, I had an 1100cc before and it felt underpowered on the highway, so my suspicion was that with a 650 engine I will sing B.B. King's "Thrill is Gone".
Also, on the Yamaha by the time I got home from my overstretched long daunting commute of 15 whole miles, it would take me a few minutes to get my body to stop shaking, or maybe use a heavy blanket like kids with Autism. Actually it was not that bad, it did vibrate, but not close to billy-dancing, so life was good.
So now I am expecting this tiny little 650 to be a bland commuter that will do the job and just vibrate the juices out of my brain. then I read about the seat being uncomfortable, so I thought it might feel like a royal medieval style spanking.
Still, there was just too much good comments here that assisted in my decision.
I've been riding it for few days now for my commute, and compared to the Yamaha it felt like a crazy dragon with ADHD.
I love it, it is light, handles very well, except for the fact that it takes more effort to stay in turns like a stubborn child. It revs really well and accelerates really good, and it has a gas gauge!!
This all makes me wonder what the versys 1000 is like. Probably will not stay on both wheels most of the time.

At any rate, if you have a v-star 1100 and think KLE650 is underpowered, you might be surprised. It handles well in the rain, wind and very light and nimble. Oh, and you will finally see above the low BMW ahead of you in traffic.

I am sure I will be asking many questions here on the forum like a lost tourist, and given my vast mechanical knowledge; those questions may not be so vague.

Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 04:15 AM

Welcome!

Lovin every minute of it!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 02:02 PM

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 02:09 PM

Welcome, we have a V-Star 950T and can attest to your comparison.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

ENJOY!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 03:58 PM

Welcome aboard!

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 04:20 PM

Garage
Fantastic Intro! You had me going. Welcome to the V forum! I too am a proud gen 2 owner....having so much fun moding and riding. It's been a great distraction to the mundane. Enjoy the bike and safe riding.

Binderline
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the warm welcome and wishes, awesome people,
In my original post I said "billy-dancing" where it meant to say "belly-dancing" I hereby confirm that I do not know who Billy is and definitely did not see him dance.

Meanwhile, other things about the versys, probably in comparison to the Yamaha since it is my only reference.

My Guinness record height of 5.10' allows me to easily tip-toe with both feet, but I rarely put my right foot on the ground, lean the bike a little to the left and use only my left foot, so it has not been an issue so far. If parked on a decline and need to go backward before taking off, then I just push the bike before mounting, learned that lesson pretty quickly when I noticed coworkers gathered around with popcorn.

At 190 pounds the seat is not very bad for my commute distance (15 miles each way), for summer rides the seat will most likely be replaced so quickly that it might leave a mark.

After ~120 miles I still had two dashes of gas left! I did not see that number on one tank in the Yamaha, I want to believe that the Yamaha ran out of gas and had to go into reserve tank at 90-ish. The gas gauge for me works better than the "stalling" indication.

The standard windshield is like a piece of fine art, looks good but you wonder what function it really serves. But from reading other posts, I knew this is something that will need to change.

Overall no regrets, great bike, great community and loads of fun.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode