Guess it is time... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Guess it is time...

Been lurking for a few months and doing a few posts now and then but never did an intro.

I just pulled the trigger on an '09 in blue (the cooler, faster color, of course). It will be a week or so before I'll get a chance to pick up the bike and hit the road and the wife says a few chores have to get done first.

I rode a lot in the late 70s and 80s. Mostly any bike I could get my hands on as I didn't own much. Around 1985 I was saving for a bike when it occurred to me that I really needed to go back to college to do what I wanted to do. So the bike fund got spent on silly things like rent, food, books, tuition, etc.

Been looking at bikes casually for the last 10 years but there was always an excuse to not get one. This winter I finally decided that I wasn't getting younger and it was time; I vowed to own a bike before 2010 was finished.

Looked at a lot of bikes and was about to go KLR when someone suggested the Versys. A month of looking at other bikes and I kept coming back to the Versys. Found this forum awhile back and realized that this bike will do EVERYTHING I want out of a bike, and more.

Already have an order from Speedy somewhere between there and here.

Let the farkling begin!

Cheers!

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 PM

+2 on the cooler, faster color. Welcome aboard and i am sure you will not be disappointed with you choice.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Sounds like my story also.

GelSeat
HB Engine Bars
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shad 40 Trunk w/Top Rack
Shad Topmaster Bracket
Motowerk Mirror Extenders
Motowerk Standard Flatfoot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome Welcome, Almost went the KLR route then saw the Versys and of course the only color to be seen on is the blue.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 11:41 PM

+5 on the blue...The red guys think theirs are faster, I guess we can let them dream Oh, almost forgot, welcome to forum Kimel...Many miles of good ridin to ya

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:17 AM

Garage
The Blue might go faster ...

But the Red & Orange ones handle better.

Welcome abourd from just above you.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:13 AM

you boys all lookin' good on your versys of many colours but just one thing to think about ....deeep down ALL kawasakis are really GREEN....eh...eh

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Congrats. I was first looking at the KLR's as well and went with the V. No buyers remorse here after almost two years. I still compair comperable bikes out there to my V I would go with it again today.

I will get a Connie 14 one day but it'll be in addition to my V.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 01:10 PM

Congrats, I think many have a similar story of why they chose the Versys. As for fast colors, it's all in you head of course, but it might be true that the law enforcement views red as the fastest!

My Album:
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Yea thinking about cops and the color red. I had a red 65 Mustang GT a 1992 red 5.0 Mustang and a 1999 Mustang Cobra with an Pro-Charger Supercharger slapped on and cops use to come to me like i was in a Do-Nut Shop

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:44 PM

Hello and Welcome!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

So, at long last, I was able to pick-up the bike today. Got her home and put the Motowerk mirror extensions on it (mirrors looking at my shoulders just don't really do anything for me) then took her out for a short ~30 mile loop.

Getting back into riding and getting my endorsement on my license (they didn't have such silliness way back when) I had pretty much not gone above a 250cc, normally aspirated bike. The MSF class was all Super Sherpas (fun little bikes!)

Climbing on to the V it just "fit" so much better than the little bikes had. Then we hit the road and went to play. Around here there aren't really all that many straight roads so lots of opportunity to play in the twisties. WOW!

I'm hoping the grin on my face relaxes after awhile. It might be hard to sleep this way.

Already planned out my loop for tomorrow. Got to get the tires scrubbed in and the engine properly broken in so I can really go play! Tough work...but someone has to do it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 06:55 PM

Nice. Enjoy your ride tomorrow. Too bad the Versys doesn't come with a GPS mapping function so we could all upload our rides.

I've had mine over a week and am still working through the break-in miles, keeping it under 4k. Still, I'm such a novice that it doesn't feel like I'm holding back at all.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Compared to what I have been riding lately 4K on the V is still awesome! I did get carried away once or twice and slipped above 4K by a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode