Is the Versys a good bike for tall riders? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By wicked-kitty
  • 1 Post By Lours_Polaire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is the Versys a good bike for tall riders?

Hi!

I'm Mike and I'm from the UK (Portsmouth to be exact).

I'm taking my first steps into biking (actually doing my CBT this Saturday).. so I don't own a bike yet.

I've done a fair bit of research on bikes for taller folk (I'm 6ft 10) and the Kawasaki KLR650 is mentioned as a bike for tall riders (35" seat height?) and I'm assuming the Versys is something of a newer version of this? The seat height looks a little lower (33").. but I was wondering if it would still be OK?

Obviously the best thing is find one and try it out but I thought I'd ask here first...

Any tall riders on here? Is the Versys a good bike to start with??

Cheers

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 AM

I'm 6'1"...Installed a peg lowering kit (lowers pegs about 2") and the V fits me perfect...Good luck

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 AM

Garage
Pick up my 09 V a month ago

6'2", 31" inseam

I'm coming from a 09 KLR, and must admit that the V is a little cramp compare to the KLR (partly because the KLR doesn't have the dish seat, so you can back-up on it and increase your legroom)

But the KLR is not the same style of bike and not perfectly up to the task at higher speed

BUT

Like Contractor says, lowering the peg AND getting some sort of raise seat (or DIY) will be very much the best for you as far as height and roadability are concern (I'm fidlling with the seat these day and aiming to eliminate the dished portion of the seat by raising it up to the pillion level, or at least as close as possible ... will try to post pictures)

An hour test drive should be a good clue for what's coming

Let us know how it end's up

Ciao

LOP

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Excellent! Thanks for the quick replies... it looks like the higher seat and lower pegs might be the answer

I'll check out the KLR too - thanks for the tip.

I'm 35" inside leg btw... I think I'm going to struggle with any bike tbh!?

Thanks again.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 AM

Yes! Its the reason I bought the V. I'm 6 ft 1. Its comfy.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 AM

I'm 6'4" and don't have a problem, mind you my inseam is IIRC 31".

If I were you I'd wait till you've done your DAS before deciding on a bike, ask the person doing the training what they'd suggest

think clearly about what you want from a bike, where you want to ride, what you want to achieve. if its speed, peer approval, lookign 'cool' and so on , then the Vee may not be the right choice. its an ideal bike for thrashing, sorry riding, around the A & B roads. its not a race rep, it will never win a drag race. if you want to enjoy riding around the country the Versysy is a good choice. to answer you question as to whether it'll fit go sit on one. don't rule out the VStrom. personally I think the tiger 1050 may be too big/too powerfull, but the previous generation 999i may be appropriate. the one downside of the Versys is that its not been around to long (since 2007) so there aren't as many older examples out there.

make certain that riding a bike is for you before you lay out the cash on all the gear. use the knowledge of the DAS instructor

the CBT should be a piece of pish, the new generation of tests (module1, 2 & the practical can be a bit tricky).... if you are a a car driver then the theory test and hazard perception tests are pretty simple too. best of luck with them all matey.. see you around either here, on a rideout or on the versys.co.uk site
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
make certain that riding a bike is for you before you lay out the cash on all the gear. use the knowledge of the DAS instructor
+1 on Healdem suggestion, that's one of the reason I change to a V, I wasn't perfectly happy with the KLR

LOP
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
think clearly about what you want from a bike, where you want to ride, what you want to achieve. if its speed, peer approval, lookign 'cool' and so on , then the Vee may not be the right choice. its an ideal bike for thrashing, sorry riding, around the A & B roads. its not a race rep, it will never win a drag race. if you want to enjoy riding around the country the Versysy is a good choice.
I'm just looking for a comfy bike to learn how to ride on really. I'm not too concerned about speed or 'looking cool' just yet

It's probably going to a bit of a weekender tbh.. and possibly a commuter when I get more confident.

Quote:
to answer you question as to whether it'll fit go sit on one. don't rule out the VStrom. personally I think the tiger 1050 may be too big/too powerfull, but the previous generation 999i may be appropriate. the one downside of the Versys is that its not been around to long (since 2007) so there aren't as many older examples out there.
Suzui VStrom and Triumph 1050 added to the list to check out! Thanks.

Quote:
Absolutely

Quote:
the CBT should be a piece of pish, the new generation of tests (module1, 2 & the practical can be a bit tricky).... if you are a a car driver then the theory test and hazard perception tests are pretty simple too. best of luck with them all matey.. see you around either here, on a rideout or on the versys.co.uk site
Thanks for that - I'm a car driver (I have a Toyota Supra, hence the name).. so I'm hoping that experience will stand me in good stead.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 12:38 PM

I am 6'4" with bad knees. The V is great for about an hour then my knees start acting up. At 6"10" if you are going to get a V i would recommend highway pegs so you can move your legs around every once in awhile. Lowering the stock pegs eliminates how deep you can lean into turns so that might be a turn off for you, def was for me. I wouldnt recommend a tiger if you are getting your first bike ($11999 pricetag and 113 hp!) you will drop it or at least f*** it up in some way.

You might want to look at some cruisers too. the suzuki m50 is pretty sexy.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 01:19 PM

The Versys is a good bike for ALL RIDERS!
Here you go:

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Element; 04-09-2010 at 10:58 AM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 07:54 PM

I'm 6'3 with a 34" inseam. I put peg lowering blocks and replaced my seat. You can also sit on an AirHawk pad to raise you up a bit.

Make sure you check out what highway pegs will fit the crashbars you want to buy. I had a hard time buying the crashbars first and finding highway pegs that would clamp on the odd-sized tubing.

My most comfortable ride was a Harley Electra Glide. I put highway pegs low on the crashbars and could actually lock my legs straight if I wanted. A 700lb bike isn't for newbies.

Tony
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 AM

After the first Versys appeared at the end of 2006, sales weren’t quite as strong as Kawasaki was hoping, especially after the good reviews it garnered.
The marketing men decided this was because they’d claimed too much for the bike, suggesting at the time it would suit anyone from commuters to super bike riders.
It’s more likely that its lolling-tongue looks worked against it, and while plenty of riders are becoming convinced by large-capacity adventure bikes, the middleweight versions of these “tall-rounders” still have some work to do to become fully accepted.
The losers weren’t just Kawasaki, but a raft of riders who would have got more out of a Versys - and probably for less money - than the bikes they eventually bought, as it was always a cracking good motorcycle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 10:42 AM

Jeez 6'10 you a big ol boy.

I'm only 6'1 240 lbs, after the sliding forward seat mod, the bike and seat is a perfect fit and ride for me.

IMO, the size you are i wouldn't buy a versys let along any other bike unless i at least test drove one for 50 miles.

sudo
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 03:02 PM

My husband bought his Versys because of his height- he's 6'4" with a 36 inseam. (as he said) it'll probably be more comfortable than anything else out there!
unstable_rider likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 06:52 PM

As i found out recently, get a new wind screen if your tall!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 AM

i was going to suggest the m50 also if you want to go the cruiser route
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elund0108 View Post
I'm basically your husband's size (6'5" with 34" inseam). How did the versys work out for him after he had it longer?
Don't hold your breath while wicked-kitty responds to you ... last post in april 2010 ...

LOP
unstable_rider likes this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:56 AM

Highway pegs made all the difference for me on day rides,the variety gives your rear end and legs a break.Try these before changing or altering your seat is my experience now,I changed my seat first.A little nervous about having my foot away from the rear brake though,had a few deer on the side of the road as I approached.Animals always seem to jump into the open when startled.You need to be aware when you use the highway pegs when its not straight up highway..
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode